HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:19 PM
TRB
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
Discussion
SPAD parkflyer?

I used to fly a slow stick a lot back in college. I want to get back into RC, but I can't find a single shop that has any slow sticks in stock. Does anyone have any designs for SPADs that are 'floaty' enough to be flown in small areas like a park flyer?
Daravon is offline Find More Posts by Daravon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:31 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,371 Posts
Just use the Blue Fan Fold foam. There are many threads on using it. FFF is lighter than coroplast and good for indoors too. It is still plastic to sneak into the SPAD rules. The brushless LiPo setup works great, and you can design your own plane and throw it out if it doesn't work, because it is so cheap.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:36 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,836 Posts
Lookup in the foamy categories here in the forum about the Blue Baby plane, it uses fan fold foam and is quite easy to build and it flies good too. Another good choice is the Nutball too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:12 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I made one of these from the blue fan fold foam.

I've not flown it yet, but it doesn't get much simpler than that.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:41 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,816 Posts
Russ' Trainer Type Plane: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281056

Easy to build and a great little floater.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
TRB
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
Thanks everyone. The ESP3D looks really easy and cheap but I'm not confident of my skills anymore! I sure wish I had kept my slow stick motor and mount.
Daravon is offline Find More Posts by Daravon
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
Somewhere near Parkville, Mo.
Joined May 2004
140 Posts
Espad is a simple build and not that hard to get back into flying. AMain hobbies lists the Ember at 80 bucks.

I was flying way after dark with my Night Vapor which you can buy from any Hobbytown and buy support parts and extra batteries there as well.

Both of these airplanes are little to know breeze flyers and would work at inside flying events. With no breeze though they are a lot of fun. I was flying around, over and through my grand-daughters swingset. The Vapor I linked is RTF, it has it's own transmitter in the box. This is spend money and fly not build. I'm trying to remember but for right around 100 bucks you can buy a quadcopter. That's also low to no wind flying but it's quad flying not the more relaxing, conventional plane (non 3D) flying.

If you're not trying to fly in your backyard and actually have some space, go with either the SnoBall which is easy 3 channel control or the Nutbar (www.flitetest.com) both are about the same layout, the Nutbar has a swapable fuse so you can move power/receiver around to a more capable airframe. Those are made from Dollar tree foam board as well WHICH costs a dollar a sheet and is in their yardsale department.

Like many things, your question isn't answerable with only an option. It's trying to pick which one of the many options YOU like the best.

And don't worry about your flying/building skills. That stuff will come right back to you and will do so even faster when you're not worried about the cost of the airplane due to them being cheap, easy to replace/fix units. You'll be landing inverted in no time.

A little while after that, you'll probably even be able to do it on purpose!
MrClean is offline Find More Posts by MrClean
Last edited by MrClean; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:24 PM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
semiSPAD

I guess I have a SPAD parkflyer - in that the wing is thin corrugated plastic. Its got a foam fuselage though - its basically a GWS EasyBug with the thin foam wing (RIP) replaced by the plastic one (+ some CF support rods). Sp400 geared motor for 3S LiPo power. Removable tail fin. Great suitcase plane!
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana