HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:48 AM
United States, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Contest
How about a speed contest?

Haven't seen any for a while and thought about starting one.

I was thinking about a 64-70mm, dollar tree foam board or depron contest. Limiting cell count to 4 or 5, we can vote on that. And leaving the rules open. Maybe have a 1 month limit on time?

I guess we can lean on some of the experienced sound analyzing people here for verification of speed through the videos.

Let me know what you guys think.
Kyle
kingkyle is offline Find More Posts by kingkyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:14 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,359 Posts
Here's a link to anything related to speed contest in the last year from this section. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...peed%20contest Do a search!!

Not much interest!!!

You could buy a Habu and set it up. The last post on that thread was June 5th. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+speed+contest

Do a search in other sections, foamys? Maybe they have one.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
i've seen that thread and its dead now.... Thats exactly why i posted this to see if anyone felt like doing a SCRATCH build speed contest, not go out and buy a habu contest. My funjet is plenty fast but Its fun to design for speed...
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:38 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
A speed contest would be really nice. Too bad the interest in high speed is rather low in the scratchbuild forum and manufacturors just cannot seem to make a speed jet. Scale and sport designs just don't work for exessive speed range.

Have a search for my Uriah-Bu thread. This might give you a headstart

The uriah-Bu is just 2w20=4s2200mAh. Last spring it matched a Mpx funjet with Colibri turbine which was radared 300kmh earlier. To date this is still an unbeaten jet at german edf meetings.
The Uriah-Bu took me a few years to make good sketches. Basically i had to wait for the WM400 fan being born to solve CG issues.

Too bad I am into an other project now. I have been thinking about a new design to cope with possible flutter issues. I bet she will go beyond 200mph for sure.

subscribed!

Erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:49 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,359 Posts
Very well put, Erik v. Schaik. I did a search for the word contest here in the scratch build forum, and with the exception of yours and one other, a few months back, the the word contest comes up realtive to either contest balsa, scale contest and one for contest design.

Most builders here tend to build for scale and not a speed contest. Some of these builds can take years to finish. Like Erik said, not much interest here.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:07 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,504 Posts
I'd be interested. My personal opinion is not a lack of interest. Most of the speed threads get a ton of views....it's the lack of builders. Let's face it....going fast is not easy and to do it well takes some dedication, building and flying skills.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:11 AM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Yes, we lost a large amount of skilled builders due to ARF and I think most of us don't know what it takes to make an edf go high speed and this is the part where insight and engenering comes in. I made a list of details what is good for high speed and what is not so good or needs to be changed to make it work better. It takes several cycles to fine tune a concept. it takes time to come up with ideas as well.

If you make a list of all the basics of an edf plane you will notice a lot can be finetuned and transformed to a new concept. Burt Rutan had a similar vision with the Pond Racer which could have been the fastest Reno racer.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
668 Posts
I'm relatively new to scratch building with foam but I think a speed contest would be fun and challenging. If DT or depron was to be used there could be regulations as to any other materials used such as covering with FG or the use of CF? I like the idea of limiting the cell count. All of this could make for some great engineering challenges. As I said I am new to this but I would be game.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:19 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,211 Posts
A speed contest is good inspiration and I think quite a bit gets done even though few actually complete their contraption by the end of the contest. I know that's how it seems to work for me.

I don't think my dollar tree has any foam, but it does have good frozen burritos.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkyle View Post
I was thinking about a 64-70mm, dollar tree foam board or depron contest. Limiting cell count to 4 or 5, we can vote on that. And leaving the rules open. Maybe have a 1 month limit on time?

Let me know what you guys think.
Kyle
I think a max of 70mm would be nice, no minimum limit because it doesn't change the costs a lot. I don't think a max cell count would be needed as well .The wingload restricts the batterie capacity regardless the number of cells.

I doubt foam or depron would be usefull for high speeds. I managed to build one from balsa + glass covering but I think balsa+carbon cloth will be the next step to cope with G-forces.

I don't think there is a need for many rules. Not even minimum full throttle flight time (C rating) which makes the difference of a jet vs rocket.

I wouldn't build a Tomahawk for a contest but it is an option LOL!!

regards,
Erik
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
I still want to do it.... I think a 70mm max speed contest would be tons of fun... no rules.... just build test and compete
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,211 Posts
We really don't even need a time limit. How about a thread that goes on as long as you like and we just keep posting pics and speeds?
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
We really don't even need a time limit. How about a thread that goes on as long as you like and we just keep posting pics and speeds?
Yeah why not... I love having no limits. I've found that sound analysis doesnt work well with EDF's, is that true? I'm buying one of those voltron / velocity RC GPS loggers but I dont know how to do a true contest without an accurate speed reading for everyone.
Last edited by kingkyle; Jul 07, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:56 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Great idea! I could be into building a couple of entries over the long term, You sir are a genius.
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:06 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkyle View Post
Yeah why not... I love having no limits. I've found that sound analysis doesnt work well with EDF's, is that true? I'm buying one of those voltron / velocity RC GPS loggers but I dont know how to do a true contest without an accurate speed reading for everyone.
Sound is okay for edf as long as the fan makes noise. You want to have noise to hear the pack running empty to lvc (fast)

Attachement a pic of the 1st measurement shortly after maiden flight a few years ago. With some fine tuning and flight style this plane is flown along with a Funjet+Colibri a few weeks ago. This Funjet has been radared at 300kmh, exept in vertical flight I had to abort climb earlier