HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:57 AM
Member #1
Teamsherman's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Hi mate, we are riding in a place called Whalan Reserve it is in the western suburbs of Sydney, you would be more than welcome to come ride with us more the merrier, but it might be a bit of trip for you to get here though, i think you are pretty far south of here.
If that's the Whalan near Mt Druitt, then that's nothing for me, I drive further away to fly Rc planes so we'll have to organise a bash! I'll bring my quadcopter and gimbal and get some crazy aerial close up chase vids going!!!
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:00 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Throttlejunkie's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
If that's the Whalan near Mt Druitt, then that's nothing for me, I drive further away to fly Rc planes so we'll have to organise a bash! I'll bring my quadcopter and gimbal and get some crazy aerial close up chase vids going!!!
Cool mate that would be awesome, other guy's used to fly planes down there they use the road as a runway because it is nice & smooth, i have to get some more lipo's so we can have a good run we only have one each at the moment i should be getting them next week though.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:52 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Cool mate that would be awesome, other guy's used to fly planes down there they use the road as a runway because it is nice & smooth, i have to get some more lipo's so we can have a good run we only have one each at the moment i should be getting them next week though.
Sounds great guys, look forward to seeing the fun .
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:50 AM
Registered User
Gaz-b's Avatar
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
Is that price shipped? I can get anyone here RTR bikes for $380 shipped and ARR for $350 shipped. If anyone is interested PM me
Don't dismiss this offer.O did I say I have a 2nd bike on the way for me mates to race me with . Thanks again Rellik,
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:11 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Hi David I use between 30c and 40c batteries and they give me all the power I want. The vids are using these batteries.
Not wanting to stir up a hornets nest here but when running the 30/40c batteries have you had to change the conductor sizes as one would presume the original conductior size was selected to cater for the lower power available from say 20c
Also are the EC3 connectors rated high enough to carry the additional amperage ?

Thanks Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:21 AM
Registered User
Gaz-b's Avatar
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Not wanting to stir up a hornets nest here but when running the 30/40c batteries have you had to change the conductor sizes as one would presume the original conductior size was selected to cater for the lower power available from say 20c
Also are the EC3 connectors rated high enough to carry the additional amperage ?

Thanks Jim
the conductors are fine for the current we draw. The higher c gives better voltage ie less sag at the current we draw. In fact for the same watts at higher volts we draw less amps.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Iowa City Iowa
Joined Jun 2000
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
Don't dismiss this offer.O did I say I have a 2nd bike on the way for me mates to race me with . Thanks again Rellik,
That is a good price..
I'm a little reluctant buying from someone without a store front and not to many posts. How about the Atomik guarantee?
GiantScale is offline Find More Posts by GiantScale
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:23 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
the conductors are fine for the current we draw. The higher c gives better voltage ie less sag at the current we draw. In fact for the same watts at higher volts we draw less amps.
Thanks
Understand the voltage drop situation and the need to keep the conductors as short a possible but a while back there was a discussion surrounding replacing the original 80a ESC with one rated at 120A hence the question surrounding the conductor size remaining the same

Cheers Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:46 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
JohnnyMc's Avatar
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantScale View Post
That is a good price..
I'm a little reluctant buying from someone without a store front and not to many posts. How about the Atomik guarantee?
I replied to you back on page 105 when you first asked. Try Venom's ebay store for the $350 ARR price http://stores.ebay.com/Factory-Direc...sub=5412299015
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:03 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Not wanting to stir up a hornets nest here but when running the 30/40c batteries have you had to change the conductor sizes as one would presume the original conductior size was selected to cater for the lower power available from say 20c
Also are the EC3 connectors rated high enough to carry the additional amperage ?

Thanks Jim
The std EC3 connectors work fine Jim. I prefer them over Deans but each to their own.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:06 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Thanks
Understand the voltage drop situation and the need to keep the conductors as short a possible but a while back there was a discussion surrounding replacing the original 80a ESC with one rated at 120A hence the question surrounding the conductor size remaining the same

Cheers Jim
I use a 120 amp ESC with a Tenshock 5200kv motor in one bike. In others I use the 80amp Venom one using either the 4800kv or 4200kv Atomik motors.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:50 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,613 Posts
I've been asked in a PM to do a video of the action and rebound of my rear shock set up so here it is David. If it helps anyone else good . There is no battery on board. I can do one with a battery but there's not much difference. It sits a fraction lower. Also take note of how the tyre doesn't bounce at all when it hits the ground. Do the same thing with a std insert and watch the slight bounce off the tyre insert.
Atomik MM450 Big Bore rear shock action (0 min 23 sec)
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:28 AM
Registered User
Chris Nicastro's Avatar
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Lol, thanks Chris. Yea definitely give Vinnie the boot haha .
If you guys only knew how much time I spent developing the suspension just get it to RTR ready... You'd go nuts.

Finally I see people actually using all the geometry I built into the chassis. The more vertical the shock is the more stiff and direct the shock is in response to the swing arm. Laying it down reduces the spring rate a percentage per hole. This gives you a sort of in between rate and once you reach either end and need more, softer or harder spring, you know to change the spring and set the shock back to the center most position.

Try some different hard Revo springs if you want to test but I highly recommend the alloy shock for this work or some alloy shock that fits. The hard part will be finding hard enough springs because the bike operates at the highest end of whats available for truggies and buggies.
Take the test spring and compress it against the bike spring to see if its harder or softer than the stock spring. If the test spring has a spring rate spec then save this info to compare notes later. The test spring has to be as long or slightly longer than the stock spring so you have the range of preload you need.
Take the stock spring and the test spring and compress them on a scale to see how many pounds per inch it takes to compress them. Thats your rate. Each production batch may be slightly different. Save your notes and play around with springs and oils plus pistons. Keep in mind the internal pressures will rise with thicker oils so use alloy shocks not plastic. Also go to one hole on the piston with thick oil like 100wt. If you have to try thicker diff oils use 2 holes or open up the single hole. Hundreds of combos but precise observation for your situation will give you clues to make adjustments.
Chris Nicastro is online now Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:29 AM
Registered User
davehour's Avatar
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
I've been asked in a PM to do a video of the action and rebound of my rear shock set up so here it is David. If it helps anyone else good . There is no battery on board. I can do one with a battery but there's not much difference. It sits a fraction lower. Also take note of how the tyre doesn't bounce at all when it hits the ground. Do the same thing with a std insert and watch the slight bounce off the tyre insert.
http://youtu.be/gzhithgJXTI
Chris,

Thanks so much for your video.

My mixture of Ofna 5000wt & 80AE went a little thick for the 1.3 pistons, though isn't that far from yours, specially in the drop test. In the compression and rebound by hand, your rises a little faster. Thanks again Chris. You're da man!

I know Ofna doesn't follow CST standard. I've ordered 1.2 pistons in order to use Chris's setup, but can also get a bottle of 3,000 differential oil and use it with the 1.3 pistons as TJ did.

The big bore shock looks amazing in the bike, and you can see the difference when the bike take bumps.

David

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:34 AM
Registered User
davehour's Avatar
Puerto Rico, Guayama, Guayama
Joined Jun 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
If you guys only knew how much time I spent developing the suspension just get it to RTR ready... You'd go nuts.

Finally I see people actually using all the geometry I built into the chassis. The more vertical the shock is the more stiff and direct the shock is in response to the swing arm. Laying it down reduces the spring rate a percentage per hole. This gives you a sort of in between rate and once you reach either end and need more, softer or harder spring, you know to change the spring and set the shock back to the center most position.

Try some different hard Revo springs if you want to test but I highly recommend the alloy shock for this work or some alloy shock that fits. The hard part will be finding hard enough springs because the bike operates at the highest end of whats available for truggies and buggies.
Take the test spring and compress it against the bike spring to see if its harder or softer than the stock spring. If the test spring has a spring rate spec then save this info to compare notes later. The test spring has to be as long or slightly longer than the stock spring so you have the range of preload you need.
Take the stock spring and the test spring and compress them on a scale to see how many pounds per inch it takes to compress them. Thats your rate. Each production batch may be slightly different. Save your notes and play around with springs and oils plus pistons. Keep in mind the internal pressures will rise with thicker oils so use alloy shocks not plastic. Also go to one hole on the piston with thick oil like 100wt. If you have to try thicker diff oils use 2 holes or open up the single hole. Hundreds of combos but precise observation for your situation will give you clues to make adjustments.
Chris,

The bike rocks they way it's from the box! And the design is amazing. I'm having A LOT of fun with the bike; running it and working in it on the bench. Thank you very much for your hard work. You can feel more than proud as you have made a bunch of grown out kids very very happy .

At this moment, my only wish is if Venom releases other trims of the RTR bike, as it was done with the VMX.

David
davehour is offline Find More Posts by davehour
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Nitro ARX with e-gyro conversion first test run Throttlejunkie Motorcycles 55 Aug 16, 2012 12:35 AM
Sold E-flite G210 mems Gyro rodneybarrett Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Jun 26, 2012 10:04 PM
Sold E-flite G110 gyros rodneybarrett Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Jun 24, 2012 05:29 PM
For Sale 3-channel Micro IR S107 Metal HoneyBee Helicopter No.ES0107 (with Gyro) mictopwin Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 May 09, 2011 01:47 PM
Sold Gaui hurricane 550 with metal head, servos, gyro, esc, and batteries. - $350 shipped AllBread Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 6 Apr 19, 2009 09:23 PM