Old May 17, 2011, 05:08 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,921 Posts
Build Log
Kingcobra II...the sequel

Long live the King...Cobra that is!

After building the Charles Tucker P63 Kingcobra with retracts and the like, I've figured it might be nice to have a more...."practical" shall we say...Kingcobra in the stable. Think "cheaper, simpler,lighter".

The clipped-wing King has 38" span, about 428" area, and came out at 94 ozs (5.87 lbs RTF with a 3 cell 5000) The wing loading is about 31.6 , the cube loading about 18.3 , and about 600 watts. (110/lb)

I'm hoping that by going to a hand launch model, with the full-span 57" and by dropping the retracts and all landing gear, to come in under 5 lbs with 583" of area, a sub-20 oz wing loading , and sub 10 cube loading. Same power, better watts/lb.

Since I have most of the patterns made from the Tucker, making a second will go quicker.

I've not decided on which variant or color scheme. I like the tall-tail "F", but only 2 were made. There are , as far as I can tell, 5 color schemes on the two aircraft, one of which is still flying in a military scheme with the CAF.
The "A" or "C" models present more options, as well as 'mild' wing clip racers schemes. Most only clipped the roundy wing tips (easier to build!)....and I love the all-black racer schemes.

We'll see when I get to that point....
Pics to follow soon.

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 07:09 AM
Joined Aug 2006
416 Posts
I was going to suggest Russian colors, but wings palette showed almost all pre-delivery schemes. The French squadrons in Vietnam look great! natural metal, fairly colorful national markings. btw, my wife loved the haircut yesterday!
phoran is offline Find More Posts by phoran
Old May 18, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Aug 2006
416 Posts
here's a sketch. the article is interesting, at first the french repainted old japanese militarry planes for COIN operations!
phoran is offline Find More Posts by phoran
Old May 26, 2011, 09:12 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,921 Posts
Got the fuselage started to frame. At this point it's 6.7 ounces with the 3/16 ply firewall. Quite a bit lighter than the Tucker so far for sure.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:29 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Looks good Mark. Will this one have rudder too?
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Old May 27, 2011, 06:26 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,921 Posts
Yeah, I wanna do spins I can re-create that bad loop in the video then :O
Old May 28, 2011, 10:43 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Better watch those spins. A family member - still living and alert - was a WWII pilot who was checked out in the P-63's predecessor, the P-39, and the P-40, among others. He did not care for the P-39's spin recovery characteristics, and lost friends who were attempting to get checked out in Airacobras.
The Russians loved the Airacobras and successfully employed them in ground attack and tank-buster roles during the war.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; May 31, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 07:23 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,921 Posts
The '39s did have a problem with spin recovery. You did NOT want to get into one with a Airacobra. My reading shows that a lot of that was cured in the Kingcobra though. They went to a much larger fin/rudder, and the "C" had the strake under the bottom.
I have read that the '39's would go intot a really flat spin, and you had to apply power and all the down it had to get out of one. Very little is written abot spins in the King though....
Thanks for the info, always great to hear from experience!
Old May 29, 2011, 07:51 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
I wonder if that applies to the models?

The big change with the mass (motor) being forward instead of centered behind the wing.

Kinda like comparing full size Camel flying characteristics with models, night and day.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 29, 2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
The '39s did have a problem with spin recovery. You did NOT want to get into one with a Airacobra. My reading shows that a lot of that was cured in the Kingcobra though. They went to a much larger fin/rudder, and the "C" had the strake under the bottom.
I have read that the '39's would go intot a really flat spin, and you had to apply power and all the down it had to get out of one. Very little is written abot spins in the King though....
Thanks for the info, always great to hear from experience!

I don't claim to be an expert on P-39 handling, but have known a number of WWII era pilots who had flown the airplane. Never heard any complaints except that they overheated easily if one spent too much time taxiing and running up.

One friend who was in my carpool had an assignment to ferry fighters around the U.S. in the later war years. He flew pretty much all of the single engine Army fighters, but never in combat. I asked him once about the tumbling and spinning stories of the P-39. Mind you, this was more than an idle question. Both Norm and I were Aero Engineers doing flight research for NASA at the time.

Norm said that he had heard all the stories about tumbling and he tried every trick in his book to make something happen. He never was able to make the planes do anything out of the ordinary. As a matter of fact, Norm said that from a pure fun-to-fly standpoint, the P-39 was his favorite.

But for simply taking a plane from point A to point B, he felt that the P-47 won hands down. He liked the reliable engine, autopilot, and easy landing characteristics of the P-47.

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Old May 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,921 Posts
I'll see if I can find the article I read about the spins in '39's. If I recall, one article I read said it would happen more often that not when the armament was not loaded in the nose, IE tail heavier than normal. Steve Hinton said that about the '39 and the '63, both needed all that lead up in the nose. So much so that they made fake cannon rounds from solid brass before they would fly it...
Mark
Old May 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,921 Posts
I got this from the web, just one of the things I read about the '39...

"Flat spins are an aft cg scenario for the P39. Generally, in an airplane
with positive stability , a flat spin has to be entered deliberately and
HELD with power and aileron; the exact amounts of each differ with each type
spun flat. The P39, had a problem with aft cg movement along a very narrow
in range parameter with ammunition expenditure. If the airplane exceeded
critical angle of attack when the ammo cans were at a certain level, the
departure could easily cause an out of envelope spin mode that could go
flatter as autorational velocities and moments of inertia changed as the
spin progressed into ever increasing yaw rates.
Departure in a P39 while in this configuration was a very difficult thing to
handle. Pilots like Tex Johnston had little trouble with recoveries under
controlled conditions, but a low time pilot on operational flying could find
himself in a world of hurt if getting caught this way. It usually happened
if the airplane went defensive and turning after an initial extended firing
run air to air. If engaged and going defensive, as the speed bled due to
radial g and the angle of attack increased, a departure was imminent if you
went deep enough into the turn, especially if the turn was being forced down
by an aircraft with a lighter WS and lower corner. You could easily be
pulled into departure city in a situation like that, and this is indeed what
nailed a lot of 39 drivers. If you departed and went flat in this airplane,
recovery was NOT where the amateurs should be!!!
I should say also that most of the 39 pilots I have talked to through the
years liked the airplane after flying it for a protracted period...and that
includes Yeager! The trick was to fly it right the first time through to the
last time....and I could say THAT about every airplane I've ever flown at
least!! :-)))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI
Retired"
Old May 31, 2011, 09:43 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Several years ago, a touring exhibit called "World War II Through Russian Eyes" came to Memphis, TN. One of the many items shown was a restored P-63 Kingcobra in Russian markings, of course. It was suspended from the ceiling high above the floor. Photography was not allowed in the exhibit, so I was unable to take any pictures of that rare bird. It appeared to be complete and I assumed the markings were authentic.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:16 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,921 Posts
They are neat birds...heavily armerd with MG and Cannon, Trike gear, mid-engined....way ahead of it's time I think, and underappreciated.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:49 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
The trike gear was a novelty for a single engine fighter/ground attack airplane of that period. As we have noted, the Russians loved them, took all of them they could get from us, and employed them successfully against the Germans.