HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:30 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
I did a test and I am pulling 24 amps and 240 watts on full throttle. Running 8x6x3 props. A 2200mah battery sure doesnt last very long flying at about 3/4 throttle. Is there another 3 bladed prop thats more effecient? 9" perhaps? Or change the pitch?
GWS make 9 x 5 x 3 blade propellers in both right and left handed rotation. GWS propellers develop slighty less thrust than other brands but they draw less current and run at a higher RPM.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2pc_pack_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tate_2pc_.html

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:54 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
Flew it again today, Do I dare say this plane is more fun in the grass than the water???? ......this plane is sooo awesome.
Is there another 3 bladed prop thats more effecient? 9" perhaps? Or change the pitch?
fully agree with the grass fun make it ideal park flyer with long grass

i use 8x4.7 2 blade with 35g 1400kv motor and run good ....250w is an excellent target to have fun with 415... 8x6x3 seems a little aggressive ? what are your motor kv ?

Kensp : i'v try these with a quad and they are way out of balance... almot impossible to balance
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:39 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,188 Posts
Hi all

To those that don't know, it is probably a good idea to glue the standard motors into the heatsinks. One of mine pulled out at half revs. The little screw for the collar that tightens the heatsink around the motor, apparently is not up to the job, so I epoxied around the motor shaft then tightened the screw.

Also, thanks to a previous poster, I used the idea of drilling a hole through the foam nacelle to undo the screw that holds the heatsink to the motor stick. Then it's easy to pull out the motor.

Don't remount the motor back onto the stick until the glue is completely dry, otherwise some glue may get onto the stick & you will find it hard to remove the motor in the future

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Last edited by Berkie; Sep 23, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Im running 1200 kv, the 8x6x3 was all I could find at the time, a shot in the dark. I'd like to stick to 3 blades for the scale look. Might have to try the 9x5x3.
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:53 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,188 Posts
[QUOTE=Berkie;22816024]Hi all

To those that don't know, it is probably a good idea to glue the standard motors into the heatsinks. One of mine pulled out at half revs. The little screw for the collar that tightens the heatsink around the motor, apparently is not up to the job, so I epoxied around the motor shaft then tightened the screw.

Also, thanks to a previous poster, I used the idea of drilling a hole through the foam nacelle to undo the screw that holds the heatsink to the motor stick. Then it's easy to pull out the motor.

Don't remount the motor back onto the stick until the glue is completely dry, otherwise some glue may get onto the stick & you will find it hard to remove the motor in the future

Update fellas.
Epoxy didn't grip the steel well enough, so this what I finished up doing.
Use a 2mm hex head screw (so you can tighten it really tight).

In the pic it's a 3mm because that's all I had.

Kev
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Just got my CL-415 kit in the mail today. Looking forward to building and flying it. Thanks everyone for posting all the tips in this thread.

A friend of mine told me an easy way to remove the paint from areas that are to be glued together is to just apply a piece of tape to that area and then pull it off. I tried it and it works. It's a lot easier than sanding the paint off.

Subscribed
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
The USA warehouse currently has this kit in stock for $57.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

And the global warehouse currently has the red and white kit version for only $40.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hite_ARF_.html

You still have to add shipping and your own electronics, but I think this is hard to beat for such a cool plane.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:28 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcneal View Post
The USA warehouse currently has this kit in stock for $57.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

And the global warehouse currently has the red and white kit version for only $40.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hite_ARF_.html

You still have to add shipping and your own electronics, but I think this is hard to beat for such a cool plane.
Yes, it is cheap, but only EPS .
It is also a good flyer but needs a fair amount of re-inforcement & replacement of just about all hinges, struts, horns etc. A lot of work.

I think next time I would rather pay more for EPO & a better finish with a note that the freight cost is no dearer for a better model

Kev
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:17 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,293 Posts
Just been overflown by 2 full size CL-215s....awesome...especially as I am in the UK so never get to see these birds.

They are the 2 from the Discovery show 'Ice Pilots'.

I am told they have arrived in St Athan in Wales for 7 months of refurb before going to Turkey on Fire patrol..

Was a Vulcan bomber last week........

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:40 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Just been overflown by 2 full size CL-215s....awesome...Dave
PICTURE

thanks to share Dave... i dream of a full CL415 ride since a long time !
and never see them airborn in my area even if they are built here

here is a nice intro to this airplane :
Mega Machines - Super Scooper (7 min 5 sec)
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Last edited by ggtronic; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Guanli CL-415

Did the maiden flight on my CL-415 this morning. The differential thrust made taxiing very easy on the wet grass. The plane is a very good flyer and will slow down nicely for smooth landings. I just want to add a couple more magnets to the hatch before trying it off the water. Can't wait!
Last edited by wmcneal; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add more photos
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcneal View Post
Did the maiden flight on my CL-415 this morning. The differential thrust made taxiing very easy on the wet grass. The plane is a very good flyer and will slow down nicely for smooth landings. I just want to add a couple more magnets to the hatch before trying it off the water. Can't wait!

Don't forget to seal the canopy with low stick tape

Kev
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:35 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Water Drop / Scoop System in my HK CL-415 Canadair ( Hobbyking )

Hi everybody - I am building it - see here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...d=1#post889301
inthrustwetrust is offline Find More Posts by inthrustwetrust
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
103 Posts
Awsoome. I got the new Greatplanes Waterplane G-44 stocked, for a propper build in a year or two.

I hope very much to see the CL-415 stocked by hobbyking; then i need it as a trainer-plane for the G-44

Greatings from a serious boatbuilder..twoo.
cosey321 is offline Find More Posts by cosey321
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:27 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
176 Posts
Water Drop Tank

I just finished the maiden flight on my new CL-415 this weekend. I used KDA 22-20L motors, Plush 30 amp speed controls, 3S-2200, MAS 8-6 three blade props and Dubro 2 inch spinners. I also decided to add a water drop tank. The plane flies great and will take off of dry grass in less than 10 feet even with the water tank full. The water tank holds 1 pint of water which is almost half the weight of the ready to fly plane. I cut the plane in half at the half way point of the water tank and used the water tank as a doubler when I glued the plane back together. The tank is made from 6mm Depron foam and has a piece of styrene plastic on the bottom around the hole to help the suction cup seal. I used Gorilla glue to hold everything together without leaks. The valve is a 1 1/2 inch suction cup used for mounting christmas lights on windows. I used a 2-56 threaded rod that just happened to fit a molding hole already in the top center of the suction cup. The drop hole is 1 inch in diameter and drops the full load of water in slightly over two seconds. The water tank is centered right on the CG. The water effect was not as good as I was hoping as the water did not foam up like it does on the real plane. I even tried dropping at full throttle without much improvement. It is still fun to watch and is a show stopper at the field. You can see the water marks on the runway after a bombing pass. I haven't tried flying from water yet but I am hoping that the water will be scooped up through the bottom water exiting while flying along the surface. I beveled the exit holes to channel the water up. Then hopefully it will fill the tank until it overflows out the air vent up just under the wing.
bettsmums is offline Find More Posts by bettsmums