United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
Which version of keychain is this on HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11867

Is this last version(v3), is this OK?
You should read posts #1-#3 in this thread. You'll find answers there to most of the questions you have, and some you haven't even thought of yet.

Don't bother looking for a #11HD at any source than the ones given in post#2 for now.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for a very informative thread. I purchased a cam from one of your post #3 vendors and it arrived in perfect working order.

I then used your tutorial to remove the time stamp and now I'm excited to attach the cam not only to my model aircraft, but a full scale plane too. I'm a student working on my PPL and I hope to use the cam to record some lessons for later review.

I wonder if there's a way to get audio from my headset to the cam? That would be perfect!
Hi Tony, welcome to the thread.

The #11 does not have any audio/video in/out ports. But if you could put a splitter jack in your headset cable, there's a couple ways you could integrate the audio into the video clips:

1. Feed the headset splitter signal to a small speaker next to the camera... it would pick up the audio from that and record it with the video. But the downside is the camera's mic is fairly sensitive, so it would also pick up motor/wind noise as well as any other cockpit sounds.

2. Feed the headset signal to some other recording device that has audio in/out compatible with that signal level. Then after the flight, feed that recording into your computer and save as an audio file (if not directly useable on a flash memory card from the recording device). You can then load the #11 video into a simple editor, mute the #11 camera's recorded audio, and overlay the headset recording onto the video, and save that file. You'd need to sync the headset audio with the camera's video if you don't start both recordings at the same time. This is a lot more work, but the advantage is your final video would have ONLY your headset audio when you play it back.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:20 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Hi!

New to this thread but I have been stalking for a while. Just ordered the #11 and a wide angle lens!

A note on Tom Franks suggestion no 2:

When using an separate recorder for sound it is always good to have a sync point for editing. In film production a marker board is used (I´m sure you´ve seen that) but that is a little overkill in this situation. A decent method is to use your hands.

Extend one of your hands palm up and make sure it is in the view of the camera. Take your other hand and make one (1) clap holding the first hand still. This way you will record the sound of the clap on the sound recorder and the picture of the hands coming together in the camera. This is now your sync point.

A tad OT but since its nice to have sound and picture in sync I just wanted to share this little method I´ve used lots of time for TV-productions.

Cheers!
/Fred
(From Sweden, so sorry for my English)
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:25 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman View Post
Hi!

New to this thread but I have been stalking for a while. Just ordered the #11 and a wide angle lens!
What wide angle lens? Can you get a link?
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:16 PM
Joined Jul 2005
4 Posts
Hi!

I have a strange problem with my #11. About once per second I have a short buzzing sound. Listen to attached file (audio only)... Is is nor very loud, but annoying.
I already read that this sound appears when the battery gets low. But this is not the case here. The buzzing goes throughout the video and does not stop when I connect the camera to USB.

Interestingly, it only appears when I use a Transcend class 6 4 GB card. With a Sandisk class 2 512 MB card the sound does not appear. Unfortunately I have no other card to try. I have no dropped frames with both cards.

Does anyone have an idea?
Maybe the Transcend takes more power? But the battery lasts at least 50 min. Longer I did not try yet.

Patrick
pät is offline Find More Posts by pät
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pät View Post
Hi!

I have a strange problem with my #11. About once per second I have a short buzzing sound. Listen to attached file (audio only)... Is is nor very loud, but annoying.
I already read that this sound appears when the battery gets low. But this is not the case here. The buzzing goes throughout the video and does not stop when I connect the camera to USB.

Interestingly, it only appears when I use a Transcend class 6 4 GB card. With a Sandisk class 2 512 MB card the sound does not appear. Unfortunately I have no other card to try. I have no dropped frames with both cards.

Does anyone have an idea?
Maybe the Transcend takes more power? But the battery lasts at least 50 min. Longer I did not try yet.

Patrick
The larger the capacity of the flash memory card, the more power it will consume. Have you fully charged the battery and let the camera make recordings until the battery dies? Do that to see if your battery is truly in good shape.

About 40 min. is the most a good battery will last unless you have one of the "jumbo" #11 versions with a larger battery. The sound sample you posted is the low battery sound, and it gets much worse as the battery gets weaker. But, starting a recording with that sound, then attaching to a USB port for power should make the sound go away. If yours doesn't then the camera may have a defect or off-spec component. Replacement might be needed if the condition of the battery can first be confirmed.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,521 Posts
Quote:
There's info in the FAQs (post#3) on the best add-on wide angle lenses found to date. Did you read that post?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:33 PM
Joined Jul 2005
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

The sound also appears with a fully charged battery.

I have bought the Transcend card only today and then did a record of 50 min, on my montainbike. So the battery should be fine... It it true that I first noticed the buzzing at the end of the record, but I also heard it then at the beginning. Unfortunately I then re-formatted the card because I thought this might help... So I cannot tell how much the sound gets louder. I' currently doing a test until end of battery.

If I attach the camera to the USB port during recording, the sound does not change at all.

Patrick
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pät View Post
If I attach the camera to the USB port during recording, the sound does not change at all.

Patrick
That pretty much tells me there is a problem with the camera, and it likely will need to be replaced.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:00 AM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
I ordered this one. I had to find a seller that would ship to Sweden so the ones liked to in post #3 wouldn't work for me. Hopefully this is as good but if it´s crap at least it didn't cost that much.
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:09 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Will be this good choice:

-#11 HD Car Key Chain DVR Keyfob Video Record Camera DV
41,99$

-Fish Eye Lens(can I fix normally this to #11 keychain?
$16.75

-Transcend Micro SDHC Class 6 4GB 4G 4 G GB Micro SD New
$10.49

Is there any cheaper than this?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:27 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,519 Posts
Fish eye lens $13.30 free shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/180-13mm-Fisheye...#ht_1540wt_905
Honestly the macro lens is a better fit for this cam, less distortion and no black corners. Also is lighter and cheaper. I am talking about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/0-67X-Universal-...ht_4979wt_1139
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:40 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
Fish eye lens $13.30 free shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/180-13mm-Fisheye...#ht_1540wt_905
Honestly the macro lens is a better fit for this cam, less distortion and no black corners. Also is lighter and cheaper. I am talking about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/0-67X-Universal-...ht_4979wt_1139
Yes to USA is free shipping, but to Europe is 5%, so it's not cheaper in my case

Well I just like fish eye, because of GOPRO
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:01 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Is there any cheaper than this?
I would also look at:
A #11 with the cigarette charger and as well as the 110/220V wall adapter for the charger, and with registered airmail shipping method for the price you tell about.

If you buy a memory card through ebay then I have a very good experience through this seller. As you can see it has 100% positive feedback. Ships with registered airmail, so they arrive very fast. At least in my country every letter or even big package that is sent as registered arrives at 6-10 week days. Regular airmail may arrive as fast, but may delay as much as 22 week days.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Class-6-mic...item45f69e0428 (which I have found it is a superb card)
or http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Class-6-mic...item1c1aa1afb6 (which I have not bought since the 8GB is the best value for money with so little price difference)

As for the lens. There is some difference. Some are used as wide lens, like in the previous post, or this one or many other.
Note that the lens you linked is mainly used for the fish eye effect, as they differ to the angle.
So if you want the lens you linked then the price difference in ebay is not big, but still there is some. You can search for "180 wide lens" in ebay. Again I would prefer registered airmail, some offer it with $2 more, usually.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
Joined Jul 2005
4 Posts
Hi,

I now tested several SD cards for my buzzing problem. I also measured the length of a typical buzz, using an audio analysis software. Here the results:

The freshly charged battery lasted today 44 min (battery dead), yesterday >47 min (I switched of myself)
With all cards, the buzzing appears (or gets louder) with low battery (last few minutes)
Video is OK with all cards.

1) Sandisk 512 MB, class unknown (2?)
No buzzing at all until battery gets low
typ. buzz length 200ms

2) Sandisk 2 GB, class unknown (2?), but newer that 1)
No buzzing until battery gets low
but: if you turn volume as loud as possible, you can hear the "buzz" with full battery as a change in bachground noise
typ. buzz length 130 ms

3) unknown manufacturer, 8 GB, class 4
buzzing already audible with full battery, but quiet
typ. buzz length 100 ms

4) Transcend 4 GB, class 6
buzzing already audible with full battery, louder that 3)
typ. buzz length 70 ms

I think the "buzz" is the time interval when the camera writes to the card. (Right?) This needs power and leads to a voltage drop of the battery, generating the buzz.
This leads to the following explanation:
The faster the card, the shorter the writing interval, but the higher the current the card consumes, and the higher the voltage drop.

It would be interesting if other users also observe this buzzing with full battery in combination with fast cards, or whether only my camera has this problem. It is not very loud, if you are recording in a car or on a model plane, you won't hear it anyway.

Patrick
Closed Thread