HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
oh,good luck on the maiden,altho you won't need luck.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:50 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Ok here are some pics of the DA-60 mounted on the SHP with the blazing star aluminum mount. The standoff distance is perfect, and having access to the linkages and carb is nice as well. I really recommend it. The choke and throttle linkages are 2-56 threaded rod. The throttle linkage uses some leftover ball links from an old heli I had, the choke uses the ball link that came in the kit. I ended up just using threaded rod for the choke because the linkage for the choke that came in the kit had its threads all messed up at the tip and I didn't have a die that small to fix it.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:16 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,291 Posts
I am glad to hear the stand off distance is good with that mount. I am in Asia right now on a buisnes trip and have not finished my Extra. As I have been saving for this on a budget I considered that mount as one of the last things I would add. After seeing what my 60 looked like with the ply mount I am wanting the mount more now. I think I ill be ordering one when I get back. What is the spinner hub to cowl distance?

Looking good.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Last edited by Ohio AV8TOR; Mar 15, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:39 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,198 Posts
Three more flights on the Extra yesterday.... bumped the timer up tp 10mins using the 16oz fuel tank.... STILL LOTS of fuel in the tank after each flight. Going to bump the timer to 12 mins for the next series of flights.

Had an issue with elevator flutter on the 3rd flight. When I checked the control surfaces, the servo control arm screw was missing on the left side and the 2" aluminum control arm was wiggly. I know Hitec recommends NOT using locite on these screws... what is everyone else doing to secure these?

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:41 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,662 Posts
I believe Scott Stoops mentioned using a dab of silicon on top o the screw.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
Three more flights on the Extra yesterday.... bumped the timer up tp 10mins using the 16oz fuel tank.... STILL LOTS of fuel in the tank after each flight. Going to bump the timer to 12 mins for the next series of flights.

Had an issue with elevator flutter on the 3rd flight. When I checked the control surfaces, the servo control arm screw was missing on the left side and the 2" aluminum control arm was wiggly. I know Hitec recommends NOT using locite on these screws... what is everyone else doing to secure these?

Flyracer
I've been using Loctite on servo spline screws for years. Get some 2.6 x8 hex head and tighten down good and they shouldn't come loose. Loctite is crucial on metal to metal surfaces
bullittjeff is online now Find More Posts by bullittjeff
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I believe Scott Stoops mentioned using a dab of silicon on top o the screw.
Hot glue works great too.

The hex head screw sets from Airwild are awesome.
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Jul 2009
200 Posts
Quote:

Flyracer
ive talked with hitec about the no loctite myth they told me its fine i use loctite then a dab of hot glue its easy to pick off im sure silicone would work to
bobby808813 is offline Find More Posts by bobby808813
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby808813 View Post
ive talked with hitec about the no loctite myth they told me its fine i use loctite then a dab of hot glue its easy to pick off im sure silicone would work to
Just don't use Loktite with plastic arms....Loktite makes plastic brittle.
When I contacted Hitec about purchasing some of the lock washers that I always manage to lose, they did not have them, but "told" me to use Loktite. At this time I was working on some smaller planes in which I was using Dubro arms, and I had to remind the guy that Loktite will make the plastic brittle, causing a danger to the aircraft and people around it. He then suggested "hot" glue...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Jul 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Just don't use Loktite with plastic arms....Loktite makes plastic brittle.
When I contacted Hitec about purchasing some of the lock washers that I always manage to lose, they did not have them, but "told" me to use Loktite. At this time I was working on some smaller planes in which I was using Dubro arms, and I had to remind the guy that Loktite will make the plastic brittle, causing a danger to the aircraft and people around it. He then suggested "hot" glue...

SteveT
i dont use anything but hot glue on smaller planes with plastic arms
bobby808813 is offline Find More Posts by bobby808813
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,198 Posts
thanks for all the inputs on the servo screw/vibration issue...

Flyracer
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,220 Posts
That motor mount makes for a super clean install, sweet
xsubsailor is offline Find More Posts by xsubsailor
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,198 Posts
Here's what I ended up doing... the servo screws are 2.5m x 6. I stopped by the LHS and picked up some hex head replacements, dabbed on bit of blue loctite on and let em sit for a bit. After installing the hex head screws, I dropped a spot of CA on each. The hex heads allow for a bit more positive torque then the standard phillips head screws. I don't expect to be suffering from any loose control arms now.

Flyracer
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:29 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Where are people getting their cool standoffs for their motors (electric) I think I measured 165mm from the firewall to cowl ring and i need some standoffs like 100mm or something i forget exactly. Standoffs and cool bolts etc. Kinda want something local as I want to fly tomorrow, will look at lowes/homedepot etc.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Here's what I ended up doing... the servo screws are 2.5m x 6. I stopped by the LHS and picked up some hex head replacements, dabbed on bit of blue loctite on and let em sit for a bit. After installing the hex head screws, I dropped a spot of CA on each. The hex heads allow for a bit more positive torque then the standard phillips head screws. I don't expect to be suffering from any loose control arms now.

Flyracer
If you are talking about Hitec servo screws, they aren't 2.5X6, they are 2.6X6 (or 8) 2.5mm will have gone in, but are not secure...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...