HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post

What makes you advise otherwise?
Your anecdotal experience isn't evidence of good practice. You've just been lucky.

Consider landing upside down in a tree, bush on rocks/uneven ground. This is different to landing on grass, or even concrete. Would you rather a rock/branch went through the board, or hit the canopy? If you landed upside down on water, the standard canopy may even float.

Note that a non-standard canopy, 'landing' feet first in a swimming pool does not help it float, as I found out.
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Aug 10, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:33 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,297 Posts
Got one these today to go together with my MCX, MSRX, and of course the MQX.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:52 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,044 Posts
DX6i is my favorite, especially for all of my HH products. The book says to bind in ACRO. Bind in HELI it will give you more control and dual rates for indoor/outdoor flying.
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
something I've learned about the DX6i is that the display is dark and a nuisance to read, until you spend five dollars and buy an LED illuminating screen to place behind it. Pretty easy installation too.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
something I've learned about the DX6i is that the display is dark and a nuisance to read, until you spend five dollars and buy an LED illuminating screen to place behind it. Pretty easy installation too.
Just how easy?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
I followed the instructions presented in so many place on the 'net that I've lost track of which one I eventually used. A search for DX6i LED backlight returns hundreds of hits. One of them suggests cutting off the connector to the LED panel, which I did, but then realized that had I sliced it mid-point, I could have used it to connect and disconnect the LED panel later, if needed. It's trivial, though, because there's only two soldering points anyway. I also took someone else's posted advice and used an external resistor, rather than to keep the tiny circuit board that has the SMD resistor in place.

Half hour perhaps, but only because I'm slow.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
mQX practical application; getting the dog some exercise

Chiwawa chasing Blade mQX (3 min 39 sec)
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:42 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
mQX practical application; getting the dog some exercise
lol! My dog does the same exact thing.
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
lol! My dog does the same exact thing.
Dogs seem to think that the MQX is a frisbee. That's what my dog told me.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:21 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
A brushed technology sold for 140$

This could be sold only for 30$ ... that is already the double of the production cost of this basic quad ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

I was saying 30$ some months ago ... and here we have it: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...o-p-46046.html

33$ but free shipping.

Ok, you want also a radio in the box (that is optional if somebody has already a 9x TX) ... it is only 46$ but free shipping internationally

Ok ... I'm not here to make you all upset ... I just find interesting that I was having the right vision ... the chip: CPU + sensors + 2.4GHz radio, are today very very cheap ... thanks to the mass production of this component used in the mobile phones

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:05 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, The Hague
Joined Apr 2007
146 Posts
Question about MQX

Hey guys,

i am about to buy an MQX but am a bit put off by the brushed motors after not using brushed for some years now. My question is do you think the motors are fairly reliable and therefore worth buying the MQX??

My other option would be to save my money and put the cash into a DJI Flamewheel 450 with NAZA controller.
Though i like how light weight and simple the MQX is for low stress fun and simplicity.

This will be my first quad and i fly CP helis now for 4 years, mini titan, GAUI 425 with tarrot zyx and Trex 550e.

Tim.
timhoffman is offline Find More Posts by timhoffman
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:12 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhoffman View Post
Hey guys,

i am about to buy an MQX but am a bit put off by the brushed motors after not using brushed for some years now. My question is do you think the motors are fairly reliable and therefore worth buying the MQX??

My other option would be to save my money and put the cash into a DJI Flamewheel 450 with NAZA controller.
Though i like how light weight and simple the MQX is for low stress fun and simplicity.

This will be my first quad and i fly CP helis.

Tim.
All microQuad use coreless motor ... still brushed, but have quite a long life. Replacement are also cheap ... so not a big thing.

450 Quad is not same as a microQuad ... as microQuad brushless I just know the HobbyKing PNF micrQuad, for 99$ ... I would suggest to upgrde the control board to the KK2.0 for 27$ ... and you have a very nice and stable ... very durable microQuad

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The new chinese microQuad with brushed motor for 40$ ... are also reported to work very good ... I have one on they to me ... in the 10cm size
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:16 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, The Hague
Joined Apr 2007
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
All microQuad use coreless motor ... still brushed, but have quite a long life. Replacement are also cheap ... so not a big thing.

450 Quad is not same as a microQuad ... as microQuad brushless I just know the HobbyKing PNF micrQuad, for 99$ ... I would suggest to upgrde the control board to the KK2.0 for 27$ ... and you have a very nice and stable ... very durable microQuad

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The new chinese microQuad with brushed motor for 40$ ... are also reported to work very good ... I have one on they to me ... in the 10cm size
Cool, but i dont think you can bind the chinese cheap ones, like the V929 or the hobbyking lady bug to a DSM2 transmitter???
That to me is a major reason to buy the MQX instead and be able to setup rates and expo.

Tim.
timhoffman is offline Find More Posts by timhoffman
Last edited by timhoffman; Aug 13, 2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:32 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhoffman View Post
Cool, but i dont think you can bind the chinese cheap ones, like the V929 or the hobbyking lady bug to a DSM2 transmitter???
That to me is a major reason to buy the MQX instead and be able to setup rates and expo.

Tim.
The PNF brushless microQuad, is ready for connect every RX ... so is TX independent.

The V929 works with FlySky or Turnigy 9x module ... the 9x TX has all the expo stuff ...

Anyhow ... these micro brushed quad, are at my view, at toy level ... not hobby ... the supplied TX is fine. I just order the SH6043, because it has the smallest TX in the RTF packed ...

I heard bad story about DSM ... so ... I'm happy to stay with my old futaba TX for my hobby grade RC toys

If you are serious about microQuad ... go for this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Quad_PNP_.html

If you want a toy ... or something that can be crashed around for fun ... something like this is good enough: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F_Mode_2_.html (actually the same can be order for less .. elsewhere)

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
I would like to get a back light kit for my DX6i but I can't find any for $5.00. I have found a couple for $59.95 and that is way out of my price range. Could you direct me to the ones that cost less?
Thanks,
Mofroggy
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy