HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 09:07 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,144 Posts
BillG1 and others, (in regard to blades and the gy280, etc.)

I think i had mentioned that before about the blades making a difference with the GY280. It is one of the reasons i use the Rail 136mm CF blades, so far they are the best all around blade i have used on a heli this size, and they damn well should be for $20 a pair. Otherwise I have tried Lynx, KDBB, and Blade straight and bulleted blades. With the exclusion of the bullet blades. I have found almost every blade i tried will "wobble" or get cyclic oscillations while in fast flight. The bullet blades do reduce this oscillation effect but ultimately they aren't as agile. Some others have reported different findings. But so far nothing has worked as good as a pair of Rails for both fast flight and 3D. The amount of rigidity they add to the rotor allows for more solid flying with higher gyro gains.

Also, you are right to conclude that having firmer dampers and a tighter rotor head and swash would make for a more stable flight with less wobbles and gyro oscillations. This is ultimately why I felt the need to upgrade to the CNC rotor head and swash plate. The CNC swash eliminated a lot of slop and the rotor head probably helped a little bit too. But these parts also add a considerable amount of weight to the heli. So it is probably best to have a 2S or 3S conversion in place, but depending on how you fly. It may not be needed.

If you end up finding some better dampers/orings that fit. Let me know, because that is something i have been searching for. But for the time being i have been "preloading" my dampers. Which basically means i have added extra washers into or behind the blade grips to compress the dampers and make them firmer. I noticed that the newer V120 spindle shafts that i purchased awhile back came with an additional set of washers that i assumed were meant to be used in this manner. Once preloaded, the grips have a bit more friction. So that is something to look out for, so it doesn't get too tight. But mine loosened up pretty quickly after a few flights.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Today at 09:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 09:24 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
It seems HobbyKing has cracked the Devo protocol and came up with a adapter that will fit all transmitters.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._JR_Style.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...aba_Hitec.html
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Today, 09:32 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It seems HobbyKing has cracked the Devo protocol and came up with a adapter that will fit all transmitters.

I think you mean it will fit all transmitters that accept TX modules, right? I'm pretty sure there is no way to make that work with a real spektrum, etc. ?
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Today, 09:37 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I think you mean it will fit all transmitters that accept TX modules, right? I'm pretty sure there is no way to make that work with a real spektrum, etc. ?
It looks they will need a module bay. This is odd given that new transmitters from Futaba do not have a bay. I am sure a module that uses ppm input from the trainer port will be available soon.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Today at 12:33 PM.
Old Today, 10:06 AM
USA, California
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleost View Post
May I ask which tail blade you are using, 29mm or 33mm?
The Lynx 33mm. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post.
Tail behavior seems crisper as well.
BillG1 is offline Find More Posts by BillG1
Old Today, 12:30 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post

Interesting. It'll let you turn your Turnigy 9x (or JR radio) into the protocol-speaking equivalent of a Deviation-flashed DEVO radio. I suppose it makes sense for the folks who have Turnigy 9x radios and don't want to buy a separate DEVO radio (it costs only a little less than a Devo10, I think...)
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 01:38 PM
Master CP
United States, TX, Burleson
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Interesting. It'll let you turn your Turnigy 9x (or JR radio) into the protocol-speaking equivalent of a Deviation-flashed DEVO radio. I suppose it makes sense for the folks who have Turnigy 9x radios and don't want to buy a separate DEVO radio (it costs only a little less than a Devo10, I think...)
I dunno, I just picked up a Devo 10 for $125 Shipped about 2 weeks ago. This is almost the price of that.
mcmoyer is online now Find More Posts by mcmoyer
Old Today, 01:52 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,696 Posts
I'm going to sell my T9X and get Devo 10. No rush as I can fly all my birds anyway. Good to see change in the wind. If heli is not Devo or Spectrum no thanks anyway.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Today, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,074 Posts
I don't have too many bad things to say about Walkera, but it "blows" me away that they designed their Devo's NOT to be backward compatible with ALL their old "legacy" stuff, which required me to maintain TWO of their different Transmitters just to able to fly their new heli's as well as my older (at that time less than a year old) heli's.

Then a few months later, some stranger "off the street" gives away "rogue" software that not only makes the Devo's backward compatible with legacy Wakera, but also lets me use it to fly DSM2 and DSMX Spektrum stuff (I think other protocols as well, but I don't have those types of heli's).

And to make things worse, the rogue Deviated software allows 250 model memory, whereas before installing it, the factory installed software only allows 8? model memory. Normally the amount of "memory" is determined by hardware, not software!!! I can't help thinking some of the Walkera Devo software management decisions such as backwards compatibility, and model "memory" might have had more to do with maximizing profits, more than maximizing customer satisfaction at the same design cost. (reminds me of the ancient tradition of how things are often done in government contracts: more self serving than public serving
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Today, 02:21 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Interesting. It'll let you turn your Turnigy 9x (or JR radio) into the protocol-speaking equivalent of a Deviation-flashed DEVO radio. I suppose it makes sense for the folks who have Turnigy 9x radios and don't want to buy a separate Devo radio (it costs only a little less than a Devo10, I think...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoyer View Post
I dunno, I just picked up a Devo 10 for $125 Shipped about 2 weeks ago. This is almost the price of that.
Right. By "it" in my previous statement, I was referring to the module which, as you say, is very close in price to a Devo 10.

My point was that if someone already had a Turnigy 9x that they liked and wanted to use it to fly Devo models, they could spend the money that would normally go towards buying a Devo radio on this module instead. Now, I don't think that this is necessarily the way I would go, but I'm imagining that this is the sort of market that they're aiming for with this module.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member