HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 06:41 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Well I flew yesterday with a older flightpower 30c 4s3200mah pack yesterday and it weighed 350g. The pack is long and I was unable to shift it forward any but I found it to be a touch tail heavy. With the Turnigy's, even though they are heavier they are much shorter than my flightpower packs so I will be able to adjust the CG better. My other question is if I keep the packs light can I get any extra flight time out of the plane?
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 07:24 PM
Joined Aug 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
Does anyone think this battery will be to heavy for the Yak? I was going to get the 40c 3000mah but I think the plane will be fine with 30c.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15004
I do. I tried those Hobbyking 3000mah batteries. The plane was noticeably nose heavy even with the battery at its rearmost position. The worst thing is that it requires a pretty hot (fast) landing with this battery.

Going with the HK 2650 or HK 2450 batteries will give you much more CG flexibility.
NJNJperson is offline Find More Posts by NJNJperson
Old May 31, 2011, 07:58 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Well, got my batteries charged and went out to the field for the maiden flight.....naturally there were kids playing football frisbee or something like that. I guess it just wasn't meant to be today.

On a slightly different note, my chargers seemed to be struggling with the 2650 4S 40C batteries that I picked up. I know this isn't the place, but what are you guys using to charge these "big" batteries? This is the first time I've had anything bigger than 1300 3S's.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old May 31, 2011, 08:33 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Well, got my batteries charged and went out to the field for the maiden flight.....naturally there were kids playing football frisbee or something like that. I guess it just wasn't meant to be today.

On a slightly different note, my chargers seemed to be struggling with the 2650 4S 40C batteries that I picked up. I know this isn't the place, but what are you guys using to charge these "big" batteries? This is the first time I've had anything bigger than 1300 3S's.

Bob
depends on the charge rating, most chargers are rated in watts, convert the charge rating by the voltage. For a 3Ah battery to charge at 3C(9A) you need about 150watts, at 5S(15A) you need 250watts. Chargers get expensive and harder to find once you get past 100w, so you have to balance charging speed vs cost, and obviously if you can charge batteries faster, you don't need as many of them. I use a pair of 80w hobbypartz chargers($39 each free shipping), they can charge up a moderatly drained 3Ah lipo in about 30 min, 45-60 min for one drained empty, charges only about 1.5S, but I have enough of them it isn't that big of a deal to me.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:48 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
Does anyone think this battery will be to heavy for the Yak? I was going to get the 40c 3000mah but I think the plane will be fine with 30c.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15004
In just "MY" opion it would be heavy with that battery....
I finally settled with a SkyLipo 40c 2200 4cell .... Seems small but works for me....
Walt and Sage is online now Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:12 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Changing the Paint Scheme

Guys I have a CZ Yak on the way....after having seen my buddy's fly.
And like a few guys on here, I really, really don't like the oem paint scheme- particularly the underside of the fuze & wings.

So....has anyone changed theirs? Can the oem paint be removed somehow (sanding?).

I fly inverted a lot and ain't lookin to go fancy- just to get the underside a bit higher-visibility and more in contrast with the topside.

Thx for the tips/warnings.

cheers
Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:26 AM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
979 Posts
Walt and Sage, did you ever maiden your SuperZoom XXL?

eom..............
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr View Post
eom..............
Hi Four Stroke
NO maiden on the Super Zoom.
Maidened an Addiction X (GREAT PLANE)
Better talk in PM or we will be in trouble...
Walt and Sage is online now Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:06 PM
Not home......at the field
Greenvile, PA
Joined Apr 2009
80 Posts
Here is a pic of my canopy paint. I used Blue Krylon Fusion and painted the inside. That is after I spent 30 minutes looking for the canopy in a hay feild.

If I could stop flying this thing I would change the blue bottom wing paint to red to help with visability.
hamburgrd is offline Find More Posts by hamburgrd
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:08 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt and Sage View Post
In just "MY" opion it would be heavy with that battery....
I finally settled with a SkyLipo 40c 2200 4cell .... Seems small but works for me....
What type of run time are you getting and what style flying to you do? 2200mah seems a little on the small side to me.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:17 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
979 Posts
Quote:
Here is a pic of my canopy paint. I used Blue Krylon Fusion and painted the inside. That is after I spent 30 minutes looking for the canopy in a hay feild.
Nice work! Going to do that!
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Jun 02, 2011, 03:40 AM
Flying is Fun.Even if U Crash!
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
438 Posts
Well after waiting some time, I ordered this one today, it's been out of stock at model flight in australia for sometime, they are getting a new shipment in a week, I wonder if they have any updates in this new batch?

What you guys think? Has HH updated anything?

Yes put on a APC prop, what about the motor mounts and elevator servo?

Regs Chris
Claydoc is offline Find More Posts by Claydoc
Old Jun 02, 2011, 04:54 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
As I have suggested earlier, I think this motor is the best replacement that you could get from HK at the moment: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8486

I have yet to maiden my Yak with that motor, but I have fitted it in the plane and it is a drect replacement to the stock motor. No mods needed, other than maybe lengthening the motor wires, which need to be soldered anyways.

If your going to use 4s batteries you'll need to run a 13 inch prop with higher than 4inch pich. Something like a 13x5 or 13x6.

With 5s a 12x6 or 13x4 would be perfect (same as with the stock setup, only you will have more power).

Hey!

Thanks, but i cant open the link.
Do you have the art.nuber of the engine?

/J
Joha76 is offline Find More Posts by Joha76
Old Jun 02, 2011, 05:10 AM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
I dont know if anything has changed in newer planes, I can only speak for the one I own that was purchased in April.

No Servo issues at all.

Motor mount did not break (but screws did come loose).

Prop balanced only after a lot of work.

No servo horn or glue issues at all.

I did receive a thicker mount from HH so that is replaced but everything else is completely stock. (replaced motor shaft due to a dumb thumb hard landing)

Around 60+ flights all HARD 3D running blue lipo 2650s getting 6 mins flying time.

Mike
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Jun 02, 2011, 06:36 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joha76 View Post
Hey!

Thanks, but i cant open the link.
Do you have the art.nuber of the engine?

/J
Sorry about that. For some reason when I pasted the link it shortened it.

Here it is again: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8486

Part number is T3648-850. Unfortunately they JUST went out of stock about 2 days ago.

You can choose to wait untill they are back in stock, or untill the new line of motors are released. Apparently the reason why they have completely gone out of stock on motors is because they are releasing the new SK3 motors to replace the current generation SK and regular Turnigy motors.

If you are looking to get a motor right now, the only one that is in stock and is also a VERY good motor is the NTM 35-48-900: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16231

Although I don't believe it is as good as the 3648-850kv (although I am not sure because it is a New motor and there aren't many reviews), but very close, it is rated for almost the same power and because it has slightly higher KV, it will actually be better if you use 4s batteries.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Last edited by xxxcellarator; Jun 02, 2011 at 06:57 AM.