HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:53 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
Discussion
RC Flight Training School-$650-Worth It?

I'm just now starting out RC flying. I have located a couple of RC training schools on the internet that offer 5 day beginner courses at their locations for around $650. Their internet sites make the schools look very worthwhile to me.

Attending one of these schools is something I'm very interested in at this point, I would like to get on a fast track with my initial training.

Can anyone here comment based on first hand knowledge about the value and student success at these kinds of schools?

Thank you.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Apr 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
Bulgaria, Sofia Province, Sofia
Joined Dec 2010
352 Posts
Hello mate,

I'm sort of new to this hobby - had my plane since Christmas but can now fly it alone comfortably. I just wanted to share my view on your question as somebody who has just been on that same road.

Frankly - not worth it spending as much money on that. I think what you can do to get you up in the air as safe and as cheap as possible is to:

1) Buy yourself a simulator, and a cable for your Transmitter (or a USB Transmitter - FMS Sim package comes with one) and of course learn the hand-eye coordination on the Sim

2) Once you got that covered, find the local club, or simply, the local field where people gather to fly, make friends with them, and have the most outgoing and cool guy help you out That's pretty much what I did.

All you need is like a couple of lessons (of course that depends on your personal skill set), but overall I think you can definitely save that money, and have some of your "new friends" fly your plane's maiden flight, take it up in the air and either buddy-box with you (two transmitters hooked up through a cable, thus you both control the plate - the "instructor" will be able to take control if you lose it), or just share one transmitter (like what I did on my first flight).

I think that only if you hit a dead end here can you go ahead paying for the lessons. Of course, lessons are quick, to the point, pro, and all that good stuff, but if you don't have lots of cash just laying around I'd go for the underground flying school - i.e. abuse your friends
trbst is offline Find More Posts by trbst
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:55 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,216 Posts
I knew a guy 6 years ago or so that went to one......he had some training with us but had not solo'd if I remember right.....he could fly alone when he finished that class. But for the money he spent he wasn't that much better of a pilot
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Mar 2010
29 Posts
I personally wouldn't... you can buy a lot of inexpensive planes for that kinda money.

I learned to fly myself with a wingo electric trainer. That thing was still flying years later, depsite a lot of crashes. AND, I think the plane itself was less than $100. (your radio, engine, esc, gear etc probably won't get destroyed in a crash, especially with a wingo type plane)

Combine that with the above simulator and people willing to help at the clubs, you'll be alot farther ahead!
highamperage is offline Find More Posts by highamperage
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:10 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia Province, Sofia
Joined Dec 2010
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highamperage View Post
I personally wouldn't... you can buy a lot of inexpensive planes for that kinda money.

I learned to fly myself with a wingo electric trainer. That thing was still flying years later, depsite a lot of crashes. AND, I think the plane itself was less than $100. (your radio, engine, esc, gear etc probably won't get destroyed in a crash, especially with a wingo type plane)

Combine that with the above simulator and people willing to help at the clubs, you'll be alot farther ahead!
Totally !
trbst is offline Find More Posts by trbst
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:27 PM
United States, KS, McPherson
Joined Apr 2011
65 Posts
No, what can you buy for 650 and crash?

A good radio and rx, then some cheap park flyers and a one good mid size plane.

I got a h9 super stick arf $100 Futaba 7c and rx $260 and os max-h 40 $24. Granted I went out with my dad to learn to fly (some) and drove it into the ground a few weeks later. I could buy two more and crash them or get a flight sim the Dynam 6CH USB RC Fight Simulator for Radio Controlled Airplanes and Helicopters is like $25 and should serve good enough.
garciaj is offline Find More Posts by garciaj
Last edited by garciaj; Apr 12, 2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: some speling?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,454 Posts
Much of the training is in protocol, safety, rules, tuning motors, setting up your/thier plane, etc, etc.. as well as flying. If you have the 650 and want a fast, organized "compressed" learning curve.. go for it. Find out how many are there with you.. are one on one with an instructor?
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:12 AM
texas
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
I think the best way and the cheaps is to find a club in your area and go talk to them. most clubs have a instr. and a trainer that they teach pilots on and most of the pilots there will help you.I bought one of those cheap simalator off ebay and work with it at home. when you get ready to buy your own plane you can go on tawer hobby and get the hole plane transmitter and every thing{ READY TO FLY} for less then the 650.00 you will spend to go to one of the schools.And going to one of those is not going to stop you from crashing.good luck.
luker737 is offline Find More Posts by luker737
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:26 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
^ What those guys said. Get a transmitter and buy a cheap high-wing plane like J3 Cub. Get an experienced RC pilot to help you set it up (control throws, servo centring, CG etc) and then help you learn to fly at club days or whatever.

I started with a micro P-51 but I'd highly recommend my second plane - the HobbyKing 'J3 Green' - as it cost about $75 shipped ready to fly and has suffered a lot of hard crashes... but still flies very well and is a lot of fun. Very learner friendly, too.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:33 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
^ What those guys said. Get a transmitter and buy a cheap high-wing plane like J3 Cub. Get an experienced RC pilot to help you set it up (control throws, servo centring, CG etc) and then help you learn to fly at club days or whatever.

I started with a micro P-51 but I'd highly recommend my second plane - the HobbyKing 'J3 Green' - as it cost about $75 shipped ready to fly and has suffered a lot of hard crashes... but still flies very well and is a lot of fun. Very learner friendly, too.

Cheers - boingk
Thanks for the good advice. I did hook up with a local instructor and after four sessions I'm able to takeoff and fly around OK but landings are giving me a fit. I'm going to look into the J3 as a second plane.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
No worries mate, just make sure you buy it as the $19.95 kit and fit components to it of your choosing. I don't trust the ARF/RTF-type running gear at this price scale. PM me or look through my blog if you want some more details.

On the landings, you'll get a hand for it. Biggest thing I found was learning the glide slope for a plane on low/no throttle and going into the wind.

Cheers - boingk
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:07 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I would get a J3 just yet and I'm a cub fan.
They have a narrow landing gear and suffer alot from adverse yaw( IE the nose pitches up real bad in a turn.
If you really want a plane that is easy to land get a twist, but remeber the twist can teach you bad habits as it is very forgiving.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:25 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Kerwin - this one isnt a true to scale model, but looks good in the air anyways. Biggest 'non-scale' item are the landing gear. They're fairly wide and have largish tyres on them. I've been able to land on good grass fairly easily, and tarmac is a no-brainer.

Did you end up buying anything to learn on yet, itsme2?

- boingk
Old May 06, 2011, 10:34 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,069 Posts
If you already have a plane look at it this way.
Tower trainers from tower hobbies are 90.00 shipped that means that you could have 7 arf and still have 20.00 to spend on glue and other stuff. Not to be harsh or anything, but you would have to be STUPID to spend that kind of money on something like that. Especialy when u could go to your local club buy a membership and have the trainer there teach you. So 7 planes at least 2 crashes before they are unrepairable or go the the club and save that money to get a really nice sport plane later. Come on REALLY?
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
D.C. Areas
Joined Oct 2005
75 Posts
Training Schools

Since this thread is ranking highly on Google, I thought I'd put in a reply for novices.

As already stated, most clubs have established training programs to get you through the initial stages.

Usually this is FREE with your club membership.

Some clubs have elaborate and very well structured programs that rival the "pay for" schools at no additional expense.

http://www.dc-rc.org/index.php/sections/flight-training

Click me!

Check the AMA site for clubs in your area.
opjose is offline Find More Posts by opjose