Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 12, 2016, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by bazsound
United Kingdom, Scotland, Cumbernauld
Joined Jun 2013
800 Posts
Discussion
The Infamous Imax B6 AC Clone

A few weeks ago i decided its best to get a better charger for my v977 batteries so im not waiting 2 hours for them to charge 5 batteries and not overcharge them.

Well it finally arrived and realised its a clone....

Ive been doing some initial tests on it, but not really getting any usefull info. I had a lipo that had been charged a few days ago, with my current charger (silly USB charger really only designed for 1 battery) when used the batterys come fresh of the charger at 4.23.

Today when i metered 1 battery it read 4.23v, put it on the charger and it read 4.15 while i ran it through storage mode.

I ran all of my batterys to storage voltage, once it reached 3.7 on the charger, i metered each battery and they were around 3.85.

Now i hooked 5 batteries in paralell, and charged at 2 amps once the charger got to 4.2 there was no beep, just kept timer running and was flcikering between 4.20 and 4.21

I took batteries off and they were coming in at 4.10v.... hmmm ok put them back on for a bit, took them of and reading 4.24v

Isnt it supposed to let you know charging is finished?

Im planning on flashing the modded firmware, so that i can get the calibrated firmware, but in the meantime im filing a dispute with amazon . It was advertised as OEM Imax. Its clearly a copy.
bazsound is offline Find More Posts by bazsound
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2016, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,844 Posts
Chargers have two stages, the first is constant current, followed by a constant voltage stage. You manually terminated the charge during the constant voltage phase so the charge was not properly completed. 4.24 is not unreasonable, 4.20 would be ideal but you're talking about a 1% error.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:41 AM
Joined Jun 2013
800 Posts
ok I put 2 batteries back on the charger, let it run. 20 minutes later charger is beeping to say finished.

Yay.

The banana plug connection is handy as just hook it upt to multimeter. No fuss. 4.25v read each battery individually 4.23v and 4.26v......

makes me nervious.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by losi man
Suspended Account
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Oct 2015
2,052 Posts
send charger back now why take a
chance.. get a real imax not a clone or this ocday 6

http://www.banggood.com/OCDAY-DP6-18...-p-982467.html i have used this charger 4 the last 3 months it might take a little more time to charge a 2 cell 5000mah 85 c but i get true 4.2 volts and a ir reading i use it to discharge since it has a 16 amp regenerative dischage i use a 12 sla battery
losi man is offline Find More Posts by losi man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:04 AM
Joined Jun 2013
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi man View Post
send charger back now why take a
chance.. get a real imax not a clone or this ocday 6

http://www.banggood.com/OCDAY-DP6-18...-p-982467.html i have used this charger 4 the last 3 months it might take a little more time to charge a 2 cell 5000mah 85 c but i get true 4.2 volts and a ir reading i use it to discharge since it has a 16 amp regenerative dischage i use a 12 sla battery
Ill definatly be upgrading to something like that, esepcially since im going to be getting either a 250 or 450 heli kit to build.

ive already opened an amazon dispute, it came from china which i wasnt aware of when i ordered it so i reckon they will just refund me. Certinaly not paing to send it back.

I may pickup an avr programmer to flash the modifed firmware in the meantime which will allow it to be calibrated to make up for the ofset.

ill need to double check it with another meter, maybe my meters out of spec
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2015
2,052 Posts
i know you can open it up and adjust the pot internally..
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:44 AM
Joined May 2014
4,844 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's no pot in the B6. IIRC there is a calibration routine you can go through once though. 4.26V is a tad hot, but yes, double check with another meter. I suspect the clones use looser tolerance components than the real deal.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:28 PM
Joined Jun 2013
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
I'm pretty sure there's no pot in the B6. IIRC there is a calibration routine you can go through once though. 4.26V is a tad hot, but yes, double check with another meter. I suspect the clones use looser tolerance components than the real deal.
the clones do use lower tolerence components, thers a post about it somewhere replacing the divider resistors with 0.1% componenets greatly imrpoves the accuracy of balance charging,

still need the calbration menu though .

Ended up stopping the storage mode as i wasnt able to keep an eye on it. it was reading 3.66v and would have been a disaster if it had just continued discharging.

Edit:

charged up 5 again this time at 2.5 amps. Took one hour from around 3.7v. Charger beeped as expected once it thinks it was done.

I left the batteries plugged into the charger, not sure how long but when i disconnected them and checked individually, they were all at 4.22v
Last edited by bazsound; Jul 12, 2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 05:56 PM
Joined May 2014
4,844 Posts
4.22 is pretty good, I personally wouldn't worry about that.

You might just pick up a Reaktor 300 though, it's a great charger, much more capable than the B6.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 06:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2015
2,052 Posts
any thing over 4.2 a cell is dangerous so what other things does a reaktor do besides ir nothing..
Old Jul 12, 2016, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by rampman
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
9,970 Posts
Take losi man with a grain of salt. He often gives incorrect information. James_S will post accurate information or will not reply.

4.22 volts per cell is nothing to panic about. 4.2 is a chosen end voltage the lipo god's decided was a full charge and we have lived with that since. A cell will need to get over 4.3x to be considered getting dangerous BUT anything over 4.1 volts will have a shorter life. It's a balancing act...

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jul 12, 2016, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by The Tug
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi man View Post
any thing over 4.2 a cell is dangerous so what other things does a reaktor do besides ir nothing..
The Reaktor is capable of adjusting the termination voltage,which would fix the exact problem the OP has concerns about.Quite an accurate little charger too.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jul 13, 2016, 03:05 AM
Joined Jun 2013
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
The Reaktor is capable of adjusting the termination voltage,which would fix the exact problem the OP has concerns about.Quite an accurate little charger too.
jrelecs refunded me.

Also reprogramming the charger to the calibration menu comes up will help, however it would still benifit from better resistors in the current sense circuit and the voltage divider circuit for the balance part.