Old Sep 17, 2015, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Oct 2013
3,756 Posts
Rave
HobbyKing excellent service

I order a lot of items from HobbyKing. I have not had an issue in a long time. And I have never had any issues with Nano-tech batteries, and I order a lot of them. Well, this week I ordered the largest and most expensive one I have ever ordered, and with a very high C rating.

When I got it I saw that the heat shrink around the battery was being pushed up by one of the battery tabs. I had never seen that before. I put it on my tester to check the internal resistance (as I do with all new batteries) and one of the cells was almost 7 times higher internal resistance than the other 5 cells. The IR on this cell was higher than on the cells from my lower C 6S batteries that are almost 2 years old...so I knew it was a real problem.

I contacted HobbyKing service with pictures and an explanation and what I got was some of the best customer service I have ever had.

I want to compliment HobbyKing on how far they have come since the early days. They are truly a first class operation now.

Fast shipping from the USA East warehouse, excellent selection, and now excellent, knowledgeable customer service.
DaddyBigas is offline Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2015, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
Agree. I've made 35 orders to date with HobbyKing and if I had anything to gripe about I hopped on a live chat and they fixed it promptly.

Fast shipping from the local warehouses, but I've also gotten things in less than a week from International.

They have come a really, really long way.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Sep 17, 2015, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by mu2freighter
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigas View Post
I want to compliment HobbyKing on how far they have come since the early days. They are truly a first class operation now.

Fast shipping from the USA East warehouse, excellent selection, and now excellent, knowledgeable customer service.
Right there with you, I put in an order from the international warehouse during the recent free shipping promo, 2 planes, several servos and some extra gear. Not only did it save me a pile of dough, it arrived only 6 days later in perfect shape. If I'd known how fast it was going to be, I'd have used that warehouse instead for another plane I ordered at the same time from the US West warehouse that I wanted sooner, saving even more.

While fooling with the Great Planes CG Machine a few days ago I wasn't too impressed with it (glad I bought it cheap, used from eBay) so I found a nicer looking one from HobbyKing and ordered it on Sunday night from the US East warehouse for just $20ish shipped.

Doggone thing showed up today and is definitely nicer than the GP unit.

Also, in the box with the newer Das Ugly Stik I got (my US West order) was a QC card with the appropriate boxes checked...and everything worked accordingly. Not only is HobbyKing fulfilling orders faster, they're improving quality control to reduce broken/DOA items to a minimum...yeah, I'm getting to be a real fan!
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Sep 17, 2015, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2013
3,756 Posts
I rarely make warranty claims or returns. Most of the time I just deal with it or write it off. But this was an expensive battery and I need every ounce of performance because it is for an EDF jet that was too much for my older batteries. So I am happy this was a pleasant experience.

I will say the Nano-tech batteries really live up to their claims. They consistently show better performance in my tests when compared to my other brands. They are a good value.

Tonight I went through most of my battery inventory to check IR values to determine battery health. I do that periodically so I can rate my batteries and retire or give away the ones that don't make the cut. Some of my Nano-techs that are 2 years old are still in my A rotation (my best performers). Quite impressive. Some of the other brands are in worse shape brand new than my mature Nano-techs. However, I do take very good care of my batteries, very rarely over discharge, and always store at 3.85 volts per cell.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by capt wally
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
865 Posts
My God when I saw this thread heading I near chocked on my peanuts

That's 3 that are happy with HK's customer service, you guys are in a very small club

CW
capt wally is offline Find More Posts by capt wally
Old Sep 17, 2015, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2013
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt wally View Post
My God when I saw this thread heading I near chocked on my peanuts

That's 3 that are happy with HK's customer service, you guys are in a very small club

CW

A couple of years ago I was not happy with their service. But they seem to have come a long way. Have you had any experience with their customer service lately?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
1,656 Posts
I'll be number 4 I've ordered almost 40 orders with hobby king and not one issue. The one time I dealt with customer service I had no problems at all.
Jaketheone46 is online now Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by capt wally
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
865 Posts
......okay so that's 4, will be a looooooooooooong time b4 we see a few dozen happy customers

It's well known that HK have the worst customer service:-( These pages are full of unhappy suckers I mean customers!

I've had numerous experiences with their so called customer service, they simply are morons !

CW
capt wally is offline Find More Posts by capt wally
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt wally View Post
.It's well known that HK have the worst customer service:-(
Not really.

In the past, maybe. But I'd dare to say most people that deal with HobbyKing are happy with the service they receive. Otherwise HobbyKing wouldn't be able to afford multiple warehouses and the development of their own OEM airframes. Airframes that challenge and exceed the best out there. Like the new MkIa Spitfire.

HobbyKing's die-hard haters actually seem much more infrequent than those that are happy with the service they get.

Like I said before, 35 orders here. An issue here or there but issues were quickly resolved via the live chat. A couple times they've even gotten product engineers involved.

Another flyer at my field had an issue with his SkyMule. His 'Mule's nacelles fell off in a 'hard landing' and scored up the fuselage pretty good with the props. I use the term 'hard landing' liberally. He crashed it. HobbyKing replaced his entire airframe no questions asked and sent it from the closest warehouse with no shipping charge.

That right there is customer service that rivals Horizon. I don't care how much you want to hate on them.

Also, HobbyKing's battery selection at good prices has allowed me to venture into larger models that were off-limits to me before. 3 or 4 years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of owning an EDF that required 6S packs because hte packs were $200 each. Now I can get Zippy Compact 6S 4000s for $25.00 and fly 80mm and 90mm EDFs. Good quality batteries, too, mind you. That I've got hundreds of cycles on now and they still balance perfectly.

Go ahead and hate. Meanwhile, Horizon sells rebadged FMS planes and the world continues to turn.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Last edited by Rampage; Sep 18, 2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 04:50 AM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Oct 2012
1,167 Posts
You cant ignore the big number of complaints from many customers around the world but I simply can't relate to them. I've been ordering from HK for 2 years and have used their customer support a dozen times with great results
Btw this thread could be moved to vendors forum
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Old Sep 18, 2015, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
5,512 Posts
Just ordered a motor from them, it arrived quickly. Fingers crossed it works well. G-46.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Sep 18, 2015, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
3,500 Posts
Oh heck I'll join the club, thousands and thousands of dollars spent with them, and 3 total problems. All were handled in a professional manner. Quite happy with their service.

And just my opinion, many of the posts I see about poor service seem to come from folks who have no clue on how to handle a problem. They whine and cry and "beach" about it, which to me shows that's probably how they dealt with the CS folks.

At least for me, with the items I had, I filled out the form, added photos when necessary, and acted civilly. Stated the facts and went from there. Had an answer in a couple of days, and new replacements sent out forthwith.

Just like the old days at the LHS. Go in and treat the employees like you would want to be treated and you get a lot further then going in acting like a Donkey relative.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Sep 18, 2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
15,902 Posts
What's that old saying about 20% of the people will complain about something, but 1% will say something is working well.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 18, 2015, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
3,500 Posts
You know it goes back to the other old saying too Gord.
If you want top of the line customer service, you are going to pay for it. Think Horizon.
You pay a lot more for their product, but you get world class customer service.

HK, prior was just the opposite, folks wanted cheap, they got it, then they complain because they can't get the same top of the line customer service.

Can't have it both ways.

Go buy an Aston Martin, and buy a Kia. Bet you see a difference in customer service. Same thing, top of the line vs bottom of the barrel. You pay for it.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Sep 18, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by Capt Ed
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Apr 2013
326 Posts
Hobby King is on a roll upward. Horizon Hobby is vastly over rated based on years past. They've changed ownership and I think we'll see a decline in their vaulted reputation.
Capt Ed is online now Find More Posts by Capt Ed