HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:13 AM
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Sep 2014
914 Posts
Discussion
Can somebody recommend a solid plane that's powerful

But not fast, very stable, possible self leveling for FPV. I use the DR now but I got to keep her at full throttle to be able to just barely get it, which causes some very very short flights. It's about the perfect speed and is very docile. I have the bix3 but that's going to take a lot of LOS flying and practice before fpv. Plus I don't care for how nongliderish it is, how much weight I must have in the nose for proper CG.

I'd like a plane about 28-38 inch wingspan, speed of the delta Ray, and great flight char of it to!

How is the AXN? What about the Radian? I'd attempt the skipper if it handled slow flight well, but that prop placement scares me in regards to having the antenna and wires and gear right in line with it. Not the best craft to FPV with it would look.

Any suggestions would be great. A floating/gliderish medium sized craft nothing as Bix as bix3. I'd like to stay close to delta Ray in size.

Thanks!
If I could find a way to power my cam/Vtx from battery powering the DR Id save the added weight from extra 2S1000 mah battery being on board cause that's whats sucking the power from the DR... It adds so much weight. I'll have to look into making my own connector that can patch into the balance lead from stock battery but I'd still be making my flights shorter having extra drain. BTW I use the hobbyking DIY LCD goggle set up for fpv.
Rain1dog is offline Find More Posts by Rain1dog
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2014
914 Posts
It's crude and very ugly but that's my fpv set up on DR. I was thinking of carving out a slot on its back, like a square well, to have the gear recessed a bit for better balance, airflow. If I could just get rid of that battery.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:31 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Fairmont
Joined May 2013
4,412 Posts
go for the radian. flies slow, but carries ALOT of weight. imo it was easier to fly than my trainer!
Somethin' Extra is offline Find More Posts by Somethin' Extra
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:35 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,265 Posts
Your problem is in your wingspan straitjacket. 38" is not going to get you glider-like flight carrying FPV equipment. The best you can do for a take care of itself, protects the equipment, nearly indestructible plane is the crashtesthobby.com Pelican.

36" EPP Pelicans 11-26-11 (5 min 54 sec)

You can see that you won't get glider-like behavior because of the wingspan, but the plane is everything else you want.

What you really need is a Radian, but it has a 6 foot wingspan. It will dismantle and store the whole thing with 2-piece wing in the box for easy transportation. It is slightly more destructible than a Bix but usually easily repaired. The Radian is NOT happy flying under power. Its motor is a launch device, meant to haul it to 500' to 1000' in a minimum amount of time and be cut off until the next climb. You will not be a bit happy with powered flight characteristics. Repeat! Powered flight characteristics are nauseatingly bad.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Feb 26, 2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2014
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Your problem is in your wingspan straitjacket. 38" is not going to get you glider-like flight carrying FPV equipment. The best you can do for a take care of itself, protects the equipment, nearly indestructible plane is the crashtesthobby.com Pelican.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOw7SbqTQk#t=50

You can see that you won't get glider-like behavior because of the wingspan, but the plane is everything else you want.
Thank you, looking into it.

I agree about radian being a dream to fly for beginers. I have the UMX and after 30 flights zero crashes.

How is the AXN floater?

I'd even recommend the UMX radian as a first plane over the duet, champ and the such.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:43 AM
Joined Sep 2014
914 Posts
I like that Pelican, looks like I got to build it up and buy a few extra pieces. Reminds me of the stoneblueair fpv plane, kinda.

I like seeing planes that aren't the mainstream like the Pelican, that's perfrct. Anyone have any other plane suggestions that are off the beaten path like the pelican?

I have a rimfire 2200kv motor laying around... Would that be to much of a motor for that plane?
Last edited by Rain1dog; Feb 26, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:45 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Joined May 2013
4,412 Posts
i dunno about the axn, but just to give you an idea of how the radian is, you can throw it, wait for it while it glides, then advance the throttle when ready. it glides forever. (there is a reason many can keep it up for hours at a time) it is so slow and floaty alot of people even hand catch it! it wont even notice the extra weight put on by the FPV gear.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:48 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,265 Posts
Heck, I NEVER landed my Radian. Caught it every time by the wing at the wing root. I absolutely HAVE to rebuild it. There's magic in them there wings.....
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:55 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Joined May 2013
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Heck, I NEVER landed my Radian. Caught it every time by the wing at the wing root. I absolutely HAVE to rebuild it. There's magic in them there wings.....
i need one bad. i have a friend who lets me fly his regularly and they just glide forever. the words "gravity" and "stall" just dont apply to a radian
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:03 AM
Joined Sep 2014
914 Posts
The 275.00 price point at this time is just to much for me. If it's the best plane for this, then I'll just put fpv on hold for awhile and save up.

For the time being I might look to get a 2s 350 mah battery to greatly lessen the weight the DR has to carry. I just have to check the connectors on the batterys.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:09 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Joined May 2013
4,412 Posts
A radian is $170...... and 350mah is waaay to small isnt stock 1200?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:14 AM
Joined Sep 2014
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin' Extra View Post
A radian is $170...... and 350mah is waaay to small isnt stock 1200?
The battery to power my FPV... I have a 1000 mah now on the DR plus the 1300 for her engines. If I go to the 350mah I save .1876 in pounds in flight weight.

The 1000mah weighs 107 grams the 350mah is 27 grams... That's 80 grams in thrust savings with the DR is a good bit.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:16 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Joined May 2013
4,412 Posts
I see. Still, whered you get $275 from?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:18 AM
Joined Sep 2014
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin' Extra View Post
I see. Still, whered you get $275 from?

Motionrc and parkzone...

Or HH

The BNF was 275.00 unless I was looking at the pro.

Nm, thanks... I must had googled something wrong I see it around 180.00 the BNF.

Think what I'll do is put 50.00 aside every week and in a month get the radian unless something is better for fpv. Just buy the 26 gram battery in mean time to save weight on delta Ray and just use DR for time-being.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Joined May 2013
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1dog View Post
Motionrc and parkzone...

Or HH

The BNF was 275.00 unless I was looking at the pro.

Nm, thanks... I must had googled something wrong I see it around 180.00 the BNF.
Yeah, the pro may be more expensive but Imo the standard is better. At $170 of so, its easier to handle, glides longer, and flies longer. It turns with rudder so it doesnt even need ailerions. All it needs is an Rx and a batt.