HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:05 PM
Out of the Past
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Aug 2014
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
Is that sn TZ138, now registered C-GSPT?
Yup!
Bob Jens Spitfire. Donated to BC Institute of Technology I think. Gotta like the story about McArthur leaving at 6 am the morning after the 1949 races with the 3rd place winnings and selling it in Florida for $1000 the next day. Several versions to this if you look hard.
Duck
IGIVEUP1 is offline Find More Posts by IGIVEUP1
Last edited by IGIVEUP1; Mar 12, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:18 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGIVEUP1 View Post
Yup!
Bob Jens Spitfire. Donated to BC Institute of Technology I think. Gotta like the story about McArthur leaving at 6 am the morning after the 1949 races with the 3rd place winnings and selling it in Florida for $1000 the next day. Several versions to this if you look hard.
Duck
He is a great Client of ours...has a gorgeous Mosquito too! Very interesting history on this Spit...certainly a fantastic bird! Are those recent photos? got any more?
Adam
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:14 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgraf View Post
Pshkong,
Here is a picture of the view over the nose! From the Reading PA 2010 Airshow.
Somewhat restricted I think.
Rich
That's why you either see someone sitting on the wing while they taxi, or them zigzag down the taxiway.
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:30 PM
Parma Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
5 Posts
I just updated my MK 24 to the new motor/ESC and 5 blade propeller. What size 4S battery will fit in the Spitfire?
scott sala is offline Find More Posts by scott sala
Old Mar 20, 2015, 08:11 AM
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,858 Posts
A nanotech 1.8mah 4s will fit a zippy compact 2200mah fits. It is tight I had to move some of my electrics (mainly wires) about to make room.
TLMARK is offline Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Mar 20, 2015, 03:47 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
75 Posts
Mad dog 2200 4s 35c and Chinahobbyline 2200 4s 30c fit and balance perfect
mu5tanggt is offline Find More Posts by mu5tanggt
Old Mar 20, 2015, 07:14 PM
Parma Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
5 Posts
So a 4S- 2200 will fit and balance as well. Good to know, thanks.
scott sala is offline Find More Posts by scott sala
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:36 AM
The need 4 speed
Shropshire uk
Joined Mar 2009
54 Posts
Firstly sorry if it's in here somewhere.... My spit is from the first day they went on sale. I'd love to upgrade to the new motor and prop. But I'm not sure if it will fit or how it will fit as mine hasn't got an X mount.
Mark
marksj100 is offline Find More Posts by marksj100
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:55 AM
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksj100 View Post
Firstly sorry if it's in here somewhere.... My spit is from the first day they went on sale. I'd love to upgrade to the new motor and prop. But I'm not sure if it will fit or how it will fit as mine hasn't got an X mount.
Mark
I know its a pain I think the easiest way to upgrade would be to get new fuse and swap the electrics over
TLMARK is offline Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Mar 22, 2015, 09:18 AM
Out of the Past
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Aug 2014
101 Posts
Quote:
Mark
Read post #5454 . Start with small drill using the original screw hole as a Pilot Hole and increase in size till the x mount arm fits. Your NOT drilling a hole, just recessing the x mount.
Last edited by IGIVEUP1; Mar 22, 2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 03:55 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
207 Posts
B*gger the 5 blade prop - I want a full contra-rotating setup so I can convert to a Seafire FR47 hehe!

Had my Durafly Spit since Christmas, and it's taken a while to get the hang of it - had major issues with the CG, had to carve foam out from the battery tray to enable the lipo to sit inside the circular "firewall". Then... two broken props later, and still not in the air, I put larger wheels on. First flight was horrible, was happy to get it down in one piece - it was sooo twitchy, even on low rates.

So for the first time I've used Expo on it, 30% on the elevator and 30% on ailerons - made it a LOT better, still think it could do with a tad more on the ailerons though! Here's a flight from yesterday lunchtime (restricted maneuvers as I need to add more velcro to the lipo hatch, I'm not trusting the velcro strap!)

https://youtu.be/kJBDdwJJefU?list=UU...kom1mfURUEbmmA
lordmureth is offline Find More Posts by lordmureth
Old Mar 26, 2015, 04:01 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,235 Posts
I think you have your plane setup very "unusually" if you are finding it hard to handle at slower speeds. It won't handle like a cub at slow speeds, but I found mine to be more than capable, and with enough flap, could come in to land at a reasonably slow pace.

Also the fact that you had CG issues is puzzling to me, because if you are using a regular 2200mAh pack it should balance pretty much perfectly.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:48 AM
The need 4 speed
Shropshire uk
Joined Mar 2009
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGIVEUP1 View Post
Read post #5454 . Start with small drill using the original screw hole as a Pilot Hole and increase in size till the x mount arm fits. Your NOT drilling a hole, just recessing the x mount.
Ok thank you. I think I get the idea. So I'm still using the X mount I have already but just setting it back further for the longer motor.
Not looked yet but does the mount come out,, or do it in situ
Thanks. Mark
marksj100 is offline Find More Posts by marksj100
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:37 PM
Out of the Past
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Aug 2014
101 Posts
Quote:
Ok thank you. I think I get the idea. So I'm still using the X mount I have already but just setting it back further for the longer motor.
Not looked yet but does the mount come out,, or do it in situ
Thanks. Mark
In situ. Motorboard can be cut out but would be a tough go and better to go new fuselage. Go lightly on the drilling ( 6mm each hole ) and make sure you have enough of the mounting pad left to secure the screws. If you decide to try this, after you finish, make sure your mounting screws are short enough that they wont puncture your battery from sticking out the back of the motorboard into the battery bay. Dont do it if you have doubts!!!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 03:31 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
I think you have your plane setup very "unusually" if you are finding it hard to handle at slower speeds. It won't handle like a cub at slow speeds, but I found mine to be more than capable, and with enough flap, could come in to land at a reasonably slow pace.

Also the fact that you had CG issues is puzzling to me, because if you are using a regular 2200mAh pack it should balance pretty much perfectly.
puzzled the hell out of me too lol! I've seen earlier in the thread a few other folk with the same issue; mine's set up totally stock, another guy at the same cub had the exact same lipo as me and his balanced perfectly. Weird!

I think my slow speed issue is really just down to the sensitivity of the plane, need to dial in a little more expo I think - on the dummy landing pass on the video, it flew like it was in slow motion so I know it can do it !
lordmureth is offline Find More Posts by lordmureth