HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2015, 05:58 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2009
445 Posts
My P51 has well over 100 flights on it now and is quite nice to fly. The only bad habits it has are the same as all other warbirds and are not hard to overcome. I really enjoy flying it and still fly it now and again but when not out at the club field it hangs in my home bar.
Arkx400 is offline Find More Posts by Arkx400
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2015, 09:11 AM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,174 Posts
I do hate to see this thread die. After reading it all ! From what I have read its obvious what most the probs are. First and I am not insulting anyone, is the pilots trying to fly a warbird without enough experience on the sticks. Secondly if you over power and increase your wing loading, it is not the models fault.
For those still flying this nice Mustang, Pls dont leave us newer owners. I just recently got mine from a LHS, so obviously there is probably still quit a few around...tks.... DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Mar 11, 2015, 09:54 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
I do hate to see this thread die. After reading it all ! From what I have read its obvious what most the probs are. First and I am not insulting anyone, is the pilots trying to fly a warbird without enough experience on the sticks. Secondly if you over power and increase your wing loading, it is not the models fault.
For those still flying this nice Mustang, Pls dont leave us newer owners. I just recently got mine from a LHS, so obviously there is probably still quit a few around...tks.... DJ
olwarbirds......Well....you got the gist of it right, it obviously takes a certain skill level to keep it flying with it's inherent fully optioned wing loading......and don't worry, your not alone....
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
olwarbirds......Well....you got the gist of it right, it obviously takes a certain skill level to keep it flying with it's inherent fully optioned wing loading......and don't worry, your not alone....
Good to hear brother, hope yall thaw out soon so you can get some flying in without having to use snowski lg
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:35 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,748 Posts
Yep,

Mine is 95% done and has been hanging on the wall for at least a year waiting for me to finish her up and get her in the air. I'm a good pilot, but I will admit to being a little intimidated.

She will fly by summer!

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Mar 11, 2015, 09:15 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Yep,

Mine is 95% done and has been hanging on the wall for at least a year waiting for me to finish her up and get her in the air. I'm a good pilot, but I will admit to being a little intimidated.

She will fly by summer!

Mickydee
It's really not that bad, you just can't slow it down (as much as a foamie) in tight turns or there's a possibility to drop a wing tip......especially on the downward leg going into your last turn before your final approach.......the rest is gravy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:29 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,825 Posts
I agree Tony, you can't slow this model down to much on final turn downwind, I found flying it in worked for me instead of floating to a flare. The flaps work well and I've only 3 flights on mine thus far, and I still have not went WOT. I was not comfortable enough to slow down and do the usual pre-flight or pattern test and land...... checking the ESC and Batt or motors for heat.
It's getting warmer and already I'm out flying in yard with micros heli's and planes. I'm waiting for snow to melt. I went to fly at field this week and it's muddy and wet so no hurry.
Tony, do you have one of the micro mustangs to fly? I've been cycling batteries like a candy dispenser with many flights in yard, I'd love to fly the bigger models I've built in past weeks it's trying my patience. Can I join you out your way when I break out my Mustang again? Knowing you have one makes me a little more at ease...... and you get to hear the whistle you gave me. I finally installed it cause I almost forgot I still had it..... Thanks again Tony!
OLwarbirds when I think about it, most of the guys I know that use to have one?????......kinda like you said........the skill was not there, and most went from foamy to directly this model. Poor choice instead of a lighter balsa kit with more room for error.
I found myself jumping into models I was not ready for and gratefully, I had the wise decision to not push the issue. Owning numerous other models to fly with less concern...... gave me more time to improve my skills . Recognizing your limits is a "Major fact" that can save you mucho bucks with this hobby. I've seen Many, Many wrecks in cans at clubs fields. Mechanical or lockout is the most used complaint but I know dumb thumbs when I see one. I can say honestly in past that I'm not the only stubborn one, who keeps plowing threw thinking I know everything regarding my plane. Yep, my plane that goes a hundred miles an hour LOL.

RC Flying Newbie (3 min 36 sec)
Cr@sh is online now Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:10 AM
Castle Rock, Washington
Joined Jul 2002
181 Posts
The Last time out.

Here is mine in Oct. 14, the last time I had it out. I am just waiting for the runways to get smoothed out and I will have it out again.
cobra72 is offline Find More Posts by cobra72
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:45 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,825 Posts
Nice collection there. I see your mustang had the treatment for dulling. I bought the cans of stuff thanks to you , I have not had the opportunity to do either plane with any real scale but that dull coat . looks sharp. It looks to new with the glossy look.
Cr@sh is online now Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:01 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,673 Posts
Terry...when the snow is melted and gone, bring out the P-51 and well do some flying together. maybe at the beach parking lot, because there's plenty of room for those fast long rollout landings.

I had a micro P-51 up until recently, but flying it inside the gym with less experienced pilots, it just didn't have a chance.......as I had to weave in and out, and above and below them to avoid them from crashing into me.....needless to say the airspace was very crowded.......sort of like trying to make time on southern state parkway during rush hour....but I'll get another one, as one can not be without a P-51 in every possible size...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:10 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,174 Posts
I have worked in the hobby industry on and off for alot of years. Been messing around with planes since the late sixties. If I didnt work so much at the VA hospital I would probably still be working at the LHS. I have seen and crashed more planes than I now remember. The new planes with all the flight assist stuff are nice but I do think they also have a seriously bad down side in the fact that they give new pilots a false since of talent/experience. I've seen it in the shop many times, new pilot wants a Mustang or other warbird as their first plane or second plane after flying one of the asx etc style planes. Unless they have done a good bit of sim time, this is normally a disaster. I use to put on the sim in store and show them what they are getting into, but of course you still get the ones who dont wanna listen.
I am currently just getting started building my Stang, only thing I still need is the retracts. Been lucky here the past few weeks. We have had some decent flyn days and I have been getting some nice maidens in. Soon as the fog clears here this am, I will be heading out again to do 2 more maidens FMS B-25 and PT-17.
Tks guys for responding and keeping this thread active .. I am sure that I will have a few questions once I get further into my build. Mine had been on the shelf at the LHS for around 4 yrs and I was really surprised that the covering had hardly any wrinkles in it. I am going with a NTM propdrive motor pwr 32 equivalent, first time I am tryn out a HK motor....hope all my flyn bros up north get a good thaw and warmup so you can get started on your maidens soon... DJ
Old Mar 12, 2015, 08:25 AM
Joined Jun 2013
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra72 View Post
Here is mine in Oct. 14, the last time I had it out. I am just waiting for the runways to get smoothed out and I will have it out again.
cobra, planes look good. I am going to dull coat my P-51 this year, what did you use to dull coat yours. Nevermind I looked back, and saw that you used Testers dullcoat. Looks great
Papa P is offline Find More Posts by Papa P
Last edited by Papa P; Mar 12, 2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:24 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
............ The new planes with all the flight assist stuff are nice but I do think they also have a seriously bad down side in the fact that they give new pilots a false since of talent/experience. I've seen it in the shop many times, new pilot wants a Mustang or other warbird as their first plane or second plane after flying one of the asx etc style planes. Unless they have done a good bit of sim time, this is normally a disaster. I use to put on the sim in store and show them what they are getting into, but of course you still get the ones who dont wanna listen.
... DJ
Well said and true. How helpful the sim is in my experience with a heavily loaded wing is debatable. Nothing beats an instructor and a gradual build up of skills. The payoff is a great flying plane that keeps you interested.... like this P-51

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa