SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:01 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajlotmato View Post
My F-18E Super Hornet is completely done, I just have to make nice camouflage and I´ll be ready for maiden flight, RTF weight with RAY 3s 2200 mAh 25-25C battery is 724g, empty weight without battery 555g. It looks like a good flying performance, I measured motor and I finally gonna use APC 8x6 SF prop, it draws 38A, 7A more than APC 8x6 E but much more static thrust and it gives better possibilities during the flight...I bought colors for Israeli Air Force camouflage so it will be something like their F-16s or so...
That looks pretty good - if your camo is as good as your primer, it will be a good 'un ..
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2014, 11:20 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
1,080 Posts
Very nice. Can't wait to see the video.
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Dec 03, 2014, 03:00 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,620 Posts
Beautiful model, Pajlotmato! Fantastic workmanship, especially.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
Hi. What size fans did you use in the 110% and 120% versions of the f18?
rkozak is offline Find More Posts by rkozak
Old Dec 16, 2014, 01:22 AM
India, Telangana, Hyderabad
Joined Oct 2014
80 Posts
f18

f18
vijaykumar is offline Find More Posts by vijaykumar
Old Jan 02, 2015, 10:47 AM
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
OK...I know this is officially in the wrong thread, but think you will understand my posting this here..
After building a few of the 100% pushers, and some of a little larger size, I have finally built my latest Hornet. I bought the 150% set of plans from Lucien Miller at Toledo in 2012 and made a few modifications as I was building and came up with a twin 70mm EDF version..I will be using the Alloy fans . The fans and speed controls are not in yet, but have most of the airframe completed and stuck things together for the photos.. Plane is covered with UltraKote and graphics are from Callie Graphics...the cockpit is entirely hand made, including Pilot and backseater. The Sidewinder missils are attached with magnets, so they will 'fall off' if in contact with ground or other objects. No gear as I bungee launch and land on belly...we fly from a 'non improved' grass field!!!
Basic construction is per Steves design, only modified to accommodate the fans, and make it into the Super Hornet. I have built several 110% and 120% edf versions of this plane, but usually just paint them with the craft paint and fly them for 'everyday'... This I hope to keep for the 'special flyins' and such.. Hope you like it..
Wow that looks great! What size of edf's did you use on the 110% & 120% versions that you've built? Any other specs on the edf's used would be greatly appreciated as I'm looking at build a 120% edf version.
rkozak is offline Find More Posts by rkozak
Old Jan 12, 2015, 08:04 PM
United Kingdom, Rustington
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Having built a couple of planes so far, the Hans Joachim Spitfire and Hans' F16, I thought it was about time I added another to the fleet of scratch built planes! A friend at the flying club recommended the Steve Shumate F18 so figured it would sit nicely in the line up of shop bought and scratch built planes.
Starting just before Christmas this came together pretty well, the all moving tail plane was a bit of a challenge but works well, I wasnt a huge fan of the F18 before starting but as I've built and shaped this I've really taken to the elegant lines of the plane and Steves design and the build manual on another website really made this enjoyable. I decided to hinge the flaps with two piece shop bought hinges epoxied in to grooves cut in to the depron, apart from this and some cosmetic details the design is unchanged. As this is a belly lander I have glass clothed the bottom with WBPU and talc and as this has really aided the strength I've also added s little cloth to the elevators along the carbon rod area and also on the vertical fins (one side.) This thing now seems pretty robust and still pretty light.

Thank you Steve for such a great and easy build.

Due to the bad weather in the UK this is unflown but hopefully will be maidened soon. Im using a 30A Esc, not sure of the motor as this was given to me by a club member, standard 9g servos and it will be flown on a 3s 1100 lipo, it balances perfectly with no additional ballast required so fingers crossed it flies as good as it looks.

To finish its needs decals, a little filler here and there and then the cockpit and exhaust details etc added in. I'll probably go the whole hog and add in some panel lines and a little weathering but will see how it flies first! If anyone knows of a good clear canopy to fit the 100% sized F18 please let me know, it would really finish the look.
d_banting is online now Find More Posts by d_banting
Old Jan 13, 2015, 05:47 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_banting View Post
Having built a couple of planes so far, the Hans Joachim Spitfire and Hans' F16, I thought it was about time I added another to the fleet of scratch built planes! A friend at the flying club recommended the Steve Shumate F18 so figured it would sit nicely in the line up of shop bought and scratch built planes.
Starting just before Christmas this came together pretty well, the all moving tail plane was a bit of a challenge but works well, I wasnt a huge fan of the F18 before starting but as I've built and shaped this I've really taken to the elegant lines of the plane and Steves design and the build manual on another website really made this enjoyable. I decided to hinge the flaps with two piece shop bought hinges epoxied in to grooves cut in to the depron, apart from this and some cosmetic details the design is unchanged. As this is a belly lander I have glass clothed the bottom with WBPU and talc and as this has really aided the strength I've also added s little cloth to the elevators along the carbon rod area and also on the vertical fins (one side.) This thing now seems pretty robust and still pretty light.

Thank you Steve for such a great and easy build.

Due to the bad weather in the UK this is unflown but hopefully will be maidened soon. Im using a 30A Esc, not sure of the motor as this was given to me by a club member, standard 9g servos and it will be flown on a 3s 1100 lipo, it balances perfectly with no additional ballast required so fingers crossed it flies as good as it looks.

To finish its needs decals, a little filler here and there and then the cockpit and exhaust details etc added in. I'll probably go the whole hog and add in some panel lines and a little weathering but will see how it flies first! If anyone knows of a good clear canopy to fit the 100% sized F18 please let me know, it would really finish the look.
Going along nicely, looks quite deadly allready
Canopy - you could try carving one from laminated depron, glass + WBPU + talc and then shrink mould a pop bottle over it with a hair dryer.. Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:53 AM
Seattle, USA
Joined Oct 2009
919 Posts
Nice work d_b!

6mmflyrc.com sells a canopy for their F-18 Super Hornet kit [1]; they'd probably be happy to measure it for you if you had any concerns about whether it would fit your model. They will also sell you a pilot too.

[1] http://6mmflyrc.com/catalog/clear-canopies
jeffsch is offline Find More Posts by jeffsch
Old Jan 13, 2015, 03:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Many thanks for the replies guys, loving the idea of moulding a canopy myself so I think I'll try that first but if it doesn't turn out as I hope, I've already contacted the guys at 6mm fly rc to see if they can supply me with a canopy and pilot. Love the decals on the website too, I'm thinking of the diamondbacks decals, great for orientation, I know it's not strictly scale as mine isn't a Super Hornet but I'm sure I'll be forgiven! Hope so anyway! More picture to follow soon.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 06:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Quick update, after a lot more thought I've decided to go for the Mighty Shrikes scheme, mainly because the decals on the 6mmflyrc website were based on the F/A 18C and so a closer match to mine, I may just have to build a Super Hornet variant and then use the Diamondbacks design on that one instead! Decals are now printed further pics to follow when she's dressed!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Well it's been a little while but I've finally added most of the decals, I've also added panel lines, these were pressed in to the foam and then small indentations added to represent rivets, I've also now weathered it using crushed pastels brushed in to the panel lines and the effect is really very good from around 10 to 15 feet away. The canopy is the temporary depron one this will be replaced with one supplied through the 6mmflyrc website, I did try and mould my own using coke bottles but it became frustrating and I couldn't achieve the correct shape. I think I'll either build or invest in a vacuum forming machine at some point but for now a shop bought one seems the best solution.
I've also now checked the c of g and the lateral balance, I found it was heavier on one side than the other so I've added a small amount of lead ballast to the missile pylon on one side which has resolved the problem and should prevent the immediate banking over on launch. The weather here in the UK has been dreadful recently so this is yet to be maidened but everything seems fine and I'm pretty confident it will fly well. (Famous last words!) the exhaust has had a basic coat of metallic paint but this will be detailed more thoroughly when I have a chance, I also intend adding side winder missiles to it, other than that and a canopy it's pretty much finished.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:16 PM
United States, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jun 2009
286 Posts
Great looking plane! Kudos!
Drezed is offline Find More Posts by Drezed
Old Today, 07:08 PM
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
Thanks Drezed

Well the clear canopy arrived today so I quickly set to work cutting and beginning the cockpit, I'm not aiming for ultra realistic scale just a general silhouette that looks good from a distance, so I've made a quick pilot seat out of depron along with the cockpit dash, I'll print off some instrumentation to dress it a little and everything will be painted but that will probably be it. I've also added some of the additional bulges on the plane now, again out of depron. These need final sanding and painting but the overall effect is pretty good. I've realised that I've misplaced the side decal warning of the danger of standing too close to the inlets, I'll reprint and reposition these and still need to add some panel lines underneath.
Finally I have the exhaust painting to finish and I want to add the missile pylons underneath the wings and side winder missiles, it will look like it's finished a mission and is heading back to its carrier!
Almost done now and very happy with the overall look. Still needs to be maidened though, hopefully it will fly as good as I think it looks.