HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:23 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Build Log
Bud Nosen Aeronca 1/4 scale conversion

Got the chance to pickup a older Bud Nosen 1/4 Scale Aeronca (at least I'm pretty sure thats what it is) for a song and dance, practically given to me. The construction and overall condition was to good to pass up.

After receiving the plane I decided a cheap system would be best and use as much of my old gas/glow stuff I could.

AUW of plane was approx. 12# with the 3 large scale servos in it. I am hoping for 14-15# auw with lipos etc.

First on agenda was to remove the existing servos, move forward as far as possible in the fuse and use my Futaba 148's. Single used for rudder and doubled up for elevator. One each for ailerons and some servo extensions and all complete.

Next was battery cutout in firewall for use of a pair of 3S 4200's for a nice 6S setup. Acess would be thru the side window, not the easiest but useable anyway,

A little paint to cover up the old yellowed windows, pinstripe the brown to yellow. A little more presentable plane. IMO

Power setup was ordered thru HeadsUpRC outa Fla. Motor, esc, prop, mount and lipos $200 shipped. Amazing in my mind. Approx. 1400 watts of power and should fly the old bird just fine.

Stay tuned, hoping for maiden flight New Years Day.
mrfliboy is online now Find More Posts by mrfliboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2014, 05:24 PM
United States, IL, Lake Zurich
Joined Jan 2014
46 Posts
Wow, that looks awesome, I can't wait to see (and hear) it fly!
JoeDotCom is offline Find More Posts by JoeDotCom
Old Dec 30, 2014, 06:48 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Hope to see ya out there Joe and Thanks
Old Jan 01, 2015, 05:26 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
We have flight, borrowed another esc, first kinda died. Did the normal prefight and assembly. Need to have easier access to lipos. Will definitely pursue an opening door I believe.

20-25 mph winds easily and she lifted without a hitch. Ailerons ineffective and needed coordinated turns with opposite ailerons on rudder. It was exciting to say the least.

Stalled it a bit on landing, came down a little heavier than I would have liked and nosed it.

All in all quite happy, gobs of power to say the least.
Old Jan 01, 2015, 05:28 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Liftoff
Old Jan 01, 2015, 05:30 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Landing and group Pic
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:55 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
And a great video

Sky Knights New Years Day Fun Fly 2015 HD 1080p (10 min 4 sec)
Last edited by mrfliboy; Jan 04, 2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2015, 01:32 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Lets add a door, and old school style servo tray. Trying to match up with existing construction. Had all the stuff in the shop so a good build IMO.

3 magnets total for the lock for the door.

Easy access inside now.

Next redo windows for .........
Old Jan 04, 2015, 03:08 PM
It's an obsession. ..
United States, IL, Grayslake
Joined Dec 2012
101 Posts
Looks good! Excited to see it fly again!
Dawagner is offline Find More Posts by Dawagner
Old Jan 05, 2015, 11:37 AM
United States, IL, Lake Zurich
Joined Jan 2014
46 Posts
Looking Good!!!!
JoeDotCom is offline Find More Posts by JoeDotCom
Old Jan 09, 2015, 08:48 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Latest update. Removed the busted windshield and ordered up some .030 PETG glass for replacement. Decided to check out view from interior with a 700TVL camera and a quick diy pan and tilt.

View is outstanding with seeing the whole opening, you can barely make out upper cross on windshield frame and lower cowl area. Full range head tracking gives me excellent views out the side windows.

More to come.
Last edited by mrfliboy; Jan 09, 2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 08:26 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Received to .030 PETG plastic and went about fabbing windshield and side windows.

Grabbed the wife's craft paints and mixed up some gray for the inside cabin area and also attempted the yellow. Looks good from a distance lol.

First attempt at forming a windshield. Was able to locate the template thru RCGroups and a friendly member sent me the plan for free. Gotta love this hobby.

My actual windshield was a tad smaller than the template and between the 2 was bale to get (I Hope) a good pattern. I started by taping the right side in place and slowly heating the plastic to allow it to relax into position. First attempt I had my setting 2 hot and it warped inward.

On to the second attempt, lowered my setting on the heat gun and increased my sweeping motion with the gun and was able to get the basic form to set in place by itself. A little trimming and decided to CA the windshield in place after trying it on a test pc of plastic and could see no ill effects.

Caing and using my kicker was able to get it to stay in place and seemed to hold quite well. Followed up with a bead along the cowl in front and am quite happy with the way it all turned out.

Was able to get the first coat of mixed up craft paint on the cowling area. This will take a few coats and some type of gloss clear to match halfway close.

Side windows were cut out and installed. Am planning on leaving the back windows as is for now anyway.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 02:08 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
All cleaned up and matched the best I could. I think it'll work just fine.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:10 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Onto cockpit and fpv setup

First off was to find a suitable donor body, WWE wrestling figure to the rescue.

#1 hack off the arms and get a functioning throttle control:

Throttle control (0 min 6 sec)

#2 was to position lower torso above servos and get a yoke stick.

#3 still progress build the controls for the yoke stick movement
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:17 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,549 Posts
Yoke stick (0 min 21 sec)

Cheap servos used for testing, have now replaced with some Fut 3114 and no more jitters.
Last edited by mrfliboy; Jan 25, 2015 at 10:33 AM.