2,582 Posts
Build Log
Skywalker X-1 mini flying wing 600mm

Skywalker X-1 Mini Flying Wing

Bought from fpvmodel.com
Delivery time to UK on cheapest shipping: 4 days
Price shipped £42
Link: http://www.fpvmodel.com/skywalker-x1...wing_g785.html

Wingspan is just under 600mm, so about the same as the Bonzai flying wing from Hobbyking.
The beauty of this one is it has a fuzz compared to the majority of the similar sized wings out there.
There is no manual as I'm aware of anyway, so mostly guesswork!
Hereís some out the box pictures and size comparisons.

The parts:

Recommended AX1806 motor and 12a ESC, unfortunately, Hobbyking UK only had one ESC in stock and it was an Afro one. 2x Tgy9e (?) servos again from Hobbyking.
1300mah 3s (25c) although would love to see what they use to get this thing balanced! (Will cover this later)

AX Motor

12A ESC

Servos
DodgeRC is online now Find More Posts by DodgeRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2014, 04:43 PM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,582 Posts
The Build:

Can be done in less than 2 hours easily.
The winglets just screw on, although these could do with some spacers and doubt they will last a knock or two but we will see. The rest is straight forward really nothing different from other builds.

Notes: seems to be a recess for a carbon spar (not supplied) about 2-3mm, my guess is that if you want to cut out the bulkhead, then the spar will have to go in.

Some parts I did/didn't like.

This curved fuselage interior. Why?
It would have been much easier to work with if they had made it straight, cut out the bulkhead, and give you a carbon spar to strengthen it (Will more than likely mod it myself)

Although you will lose some of the thickness from the lower part of the fuzz, maybe some more carbon strips in here? Some light cloth fiberglass on the bottom or even a plastic skid would have been great!

As mentioned before the winglets would be great with spacers. And I plan to tape up the holes in the corex, little wing needs as less drag as possible.

Now the part of the build which took forever, the CofG
160-170mm from the nose, Iím guessing, again no real instructions of where its marked from.
They recommend a 1300 3s, which will fit in the nose, but the canopy will not fit on! You have to push the battery back to the bulkhead so that the canopy will close. But then the CofG is more towards the 170mm mark, and I prefer stuff to be nose heavy for maidens.
For most batts over 1000mah you will also need an XT60 converter to the mini JST (BEC) plug of the ESC, then you have to cram all this in the small space they give.
I trimmed down the bulkhead slightly to allow for some freedom with the wires, and after the maiden ill do a full cutdown in the centre and add the spars mentioned earlier.
Another thing I do like is the chunk to this wing, feels like it could take a beating and with stand bigger motors for more speed.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 05:01 PM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,582 Posts
Maiden & re-Maiden

My first flight was to have the CofG in the middle of the markers, around 165mm

Some reason it felt like a dog in the air. Just wouldn't respond in a nice way.
When launching, things might of slid back, but was well packed in.

Either way, it took off nice, and any massive input caused instability, I was still able to bring it back, however on the second attempt, one of the winglets got caught, snapping it in half.

Re-maiden

Next attempt I used a 1400mah 40-80c 3s from the miniquad, right up front, and taped the lid on, though raised slightly. CofG stood around 160mm front the leading.

Took off fine, and flew fine. Seemed a little twitchy at lower speeds but handled very well.
With this setup, it seemed to really rocket on the flats, rolled like a demon (35% expo, 80% rates) After a roll it would settle easy and solid.

Climb rate was average, response was nippy.

Only downside was the motor seemed a little naff for this plane, something sturdy would of done better so looking into upgrading to a ZMR / 1806 / Multistar from a quad.

Next up is to trim the inner fuse to allow the battery to sit flat and forward. Pop in a carbon spar to strengthen it and add a mini-cam and vtx for FPV

Also to get the CofG on the mark without too much butchering or added weight, an addition to a poor design..
Last edited by DodgeRC; Dec 26, 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 04:29 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,581 Posts
Looks like fun, plus FPVmodel are a great supplier too, used them loads for stuff and I'm in the UK
Dogdude is online now Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Jan 07, 2015, 03:44 AM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,582 Posts
After the waste of money the AX 1806 was I've decided to try a ZMR 1806 motor from a 250 quad, should be lighter and smoother, allowing for the 1300mah upfront with no extra weight

http://www.banggood.com/ZMR-1804-240...-p-923424.html

Should be here in a few days and will post another review
Old Jan 11, 2015, 05:32 AM
der Frickler
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
553 Posts
Nice little Wing - unfortunately there is no supplier right now here in EU. Hobbyking has it listet, but shipping costs is much more than the plane itself ;-(

Your link goes to the ZMR 1804 Motor which will have less Power than the AX 1806 you are using right now. You'd better go with an 1806 or 2204 Motor.

are you planing to put a cam on the plane? Do you think it could carry an Mobius and a little Video TX?
(Jo)Hannes is online now Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:48 AM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Jo)Hannes View Post
Nice little Wing - unfortunately there is no supplier right now here in EU. Hobbyking has it listet, but shipping costs is much more than the plane itself ;-(

Your link goes to the ZMR 1804 Motor which will have less Power than the AX 1806 you are using right now. You'd better go with an 1806 or 2204 Motor.

are you planing to put a cam on the plane? Do you think it could carry an Mobius and a little Video TX?
Yeah FPVModel/HK are quite high shipping, so if you did order one, best to get the PNF version for that little extra.
I think I paid around $64 posted (Bit steep for a little wing!)

Oops, must of ordered the wrong one! Just needed something else instead of the warped motor from Hobbyking.

Well, will be good to size up this motor and a way of fitting it to the X-1.
If not I will have a look at the 1811 motors from HK or similar from GiantShark.

I think this plane will be fine with a mobius (if you can sink it in a little maybe? And mini vtx. When it was flying it had plenty of umph, not much vertical, but sure a different battery/motor combo would do fine. Would love to see one of these on 4s!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 05:51 AM
der Frickler
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
553 Posts
I'll wait for Hobbyking to bring it to the EU/UK store.

..until that i will play with my modded clipped-wing-blunt-nose zackcombatti i did the last days:

http://der-frickler.net/modellbau/pl...tti_blunt_nose
(Jo)Hannes is online now Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes
Old Jan 22, 2015, 03:02 AM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,582 Posts
bought the 1804 ZMR motor from Banggood,
From all the tests online this should kick out about 300g of thrust minimum

To make this I just cut a circle piece from a plastic card (similar to bank card) hole in the middle and for two bolts, lined it up on the ply mount, then cut two recesses for the bolt heads to go into the ply, sanded the card for a rough surface then hot glued to the ply