Yes still a decent action cam so Im going to keep it! 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 06, 2014, 01:33 AM
20+ years rc pro and semi pro
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
Discussion
Sd28 camera , the fake of the gopro clone! A clone of a clone gotta love China

Well I tried to order a SJ4000 camera but instead received a SD28 as did many other people . Mine has the correct box (some said "Water Resistn" instead of Water Resistant but its still the SD28 not the SJ4000 Many people are using the SJ4000 for FPV by modifying a micro usb cord so pins 4 and 5 are video out and ground but I want to know if this will work with the SD28? Also want to hear others opinions about their SD28 cameras ! Feel free to post vids , stills , tips and questions . I tried to put the SJ4000 firmware on mine and it bricked but I figured out a way to fix it , so let me know if you need help. So far I'm not to mad about not getting the genuine SJ4000 because I have another camera for fpv and the video quality is still pretty good if not better than the GoPro or SJ4000 in certain situations (low light , and going from light to dark and adjusting quickly) I will post some flight footage from my Syma X6 as well as my Franken Quad Plankenstein and some other test footage and stills when I get some time ! Let me know what you guys think about this lil guy and the 20+ accessories it came with for under $80 shipped! Im hoping to find a way to get live video output while recording so it can be used in FPV . Also I will play with the settings to try to get the best HD 1080p quality out of it . Im still waiting for my class 10 32gb memory card so I only have a class 2 16gb in it now so the card cant handle the high quality footage .

Its getting harder and harder to find a real SJcam SJ4000 so I know a ton of us got this camera and thought we should share info about it to help each other !

Thanks Rc Brian NJ
rc brian nj is offline Find More Posts by rc brian nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2014, 12:21 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
ok it works as a webcam while recording so it must do live video out ! just gotta figure out what pins on the micro usb to use without frying the camera!
Old Dec 06, 2014, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
stills but no video in this section

took some high speed stills and video to post as samples but it wont allow me to post the video . the color looks good even on a rainy overcast day but in the videos it makes me look like my skin is red ?? what setting will change that? ill put the vid on another site and put up a link so you can see it . pics were taken at 35-45 mph from a moving car on an overcast / cloudy / rainy day but not too bad!
Old Dec 07, 2014, 06:08 AM
Italy, Piemonte, Rivalta di Torino
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
This cam Is maded from ACMELL in Shenzhen China but have a name, are the not correct selle call it SJ4000, bu i think is not a fake because have a his name and also is not so bad, i like more because have a warm color anda viewangle more large to the SJ4000, only in the low light it lose. Ferdi from Italy
Ferdi7650 is offline Find More Posts by Ferdi7650
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:34 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
Im keeping mine too its pretty good !

I was mad at first just because it wasn't a real SJ4000 but it really does work pretty good so im ok with it now . Hopefully ACMELL will put out new firmware soon when you go to their site you get an error code I have firmware from 08/2014 but hopefully they will add the "tv out " option so we can use them for fpv too. it works as a webcam so there must be video coming out of the micro usb im just not sure how to wire it without hurting the camera ! I might just start trying to figure it out , I only paid about $40 usd for mine because they gave me a $25 refund because I complained about the camera being "fake" . You cant call an Alfo Romero a Ferrari on ebay so they cant call our camera a Sj4000 ! Hope we get some more people in the thread so we can start learning new things about them!

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi7650 View Post
This cam Is maded from ACMELL in Shenzhen China but have a name, are the not correct selle call it SJ4000, bu i think is not a fake because have a his name and also is not so bad, i like more because have a warm color anda viewangle more large to the SJ4000, only in the low light it lose. Ferdi from Italy
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:46 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
Also "car mode " doesn't work ? when its on your supposed to be able to record while charging but when you plug it in you can only choose - mass storage mode or pc camera mode they need to fix that in the new firmware , I also don't like that the camera turns on when you plug in to charge but still not to big of a deal !
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:22 PM
My skylift broke AGAIN!!!
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Apr 2008
37 Posts
I KNOW its more expense and weight, but has anyone tried one of those HDMI to Composite converter boxes like they have on ebay? seems like that might work. (hideous latency though).

I'm thinking, sell mine in a newsagent window, (it's new and in the country in time for christmas, and it's a fine gift if you aren't using it for fpv..) add some money and buy the real thing second hand...
swallabat is offline Find More Posts by swallabat
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
SD28 test vid and sound check (2 min 8 sec)
A SHORT VID OF VIDEO AND AUDIO USING LIKE A DASH CAM AND CHECKING MOVING FOOTAGE
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:05 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
Fpv video out ..

Im going to work on getting live video out , it works as a webcam so it must have video output on one of those micro usb pin unless it needs a computer and a seperate program to make the video work ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat View Post
i know its more expense and weight, but has anyone tried one of those hdmi to composite converter boxes like they have on ebay? Seems like that might work. (hideous latency though).

I'm thinking, sell mine in a newsagent window, (it's new and in the country in time for christmas, and it's a fine gift if you aren't using it for fpv..) add some money and buy the real thing second hand...
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
I wouldnt use a gopro for fpv anyway

The guys at flitetest have a great vid about making a complete fpv camera on the cheap so im going to build one of those and get the $40cheap fpv box goggles from hobby king with a reciever hooked to it on the ground! The flitetest fpv setup is small and light weight and cheap to setup so i wont feel bad if i loose it or break it in a crash . I have a frankenquad "planlenstien" and the gopro is heavy enough that my motors and escs get warm so i want something lighter . I will use the sd28 for the truck or when riding my quads i still thinks its a good deal for $50usd! The hobbyking version is $90-100 and has the video out cable plus all the extra attachments and water proof case like the go pro . So for people who want a go pro and cant afford one i recomend a sjcam sj4000 or the hobbyking version@!

Quote:
i know its more expense and weight, but has anyone tried one of those hdmi to composite converter boxes like they have on ebay? Seems like that might work. (hideous latency though).

Old Dec 09, 2014, 09:09 PM
Joined Apr 2008
37 Posts
I've read about a bit, and it seems to have been suggested that some SD28 cameras will do the video through the usb and some will not because of hardware differences. And so there can be no firmware patch unless the hardware supports it. I've learned that if one is brave once can get various firmwares, and try them in the camera. BUT I've yet to find a firmware for the sd28 that offers "TV" function. There seems no way of identifying your internal board version without opening it up.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
I bricked mine and saved it !

Quote:
I've read about a bit, and it seems to have been suggested that some SD28 cameras will do the video through the usb and some will not because of hardware differences. And so there can be no firmware patch unless the hardware supports it. I've learned that if one is brave once can get various firmwares, and try them in the camera. BUT I've yet to find a firmware for the sd28 that offers "TV" function. There seems no way of identifying your internal board version without opening it up.
I will try any firmware I can find now that I know how to fix it when it locks up! if you find any links to firmware you think I should try let me know and post it here!

Winkdogg

Oh and if you brick yours there is a youtube video to help recover it step by step!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 03:37 PM
Joined Apr 2008
37 Posts
I've had a rethink, and have decided to use the camera along side a second video feed camera.
The gimbal I have requires more weight than the sd28 has on it's own, and I can mount a video camera on the side of it to help bring it back into balance. I don't NEED to see the actual video off the sj4000, I just need to check from time to time for framing purposes. I'm going to fly it from a centrally mounted camera on the quad, anyhoo.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:18 AM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
good idea!

Quote:
I've had a rethink, and have decided to use the camera along side a second video feed camera.
The gimbal I have requires more weight than the sd28 has on it's own, and I can mount a video camera on the side of it to help bring it back into balance. I don't NEED to see the actual video off the sj4000, I just need to check from time to time for framing purposes. I'm going to fly it from a centrally mounted camera on the quad, anyhoo.
if I cant fix my video out , I will also use it to counter balance a bigger battery!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 01:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
119 Posts
More test footage and live video out thoughts and ?'s

SD28 TESTING AND LIVE VIDEO OUT THOUGHTS ! (1 min 50 sec)

WHEN I SAID AUDIO OUT MOD I MEANT VIDEO OUT MOD