New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by adamtoo
Sweden, Norrbotten County, Luleå
Joined Sep 2014
220 Posts
i'm not sure but the answer might be because some planes have no rudder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownflier View Post
When in 2DHH and the G drops one wing to counter-act the yaw it senses, doesn't the aircraft lose height/altitude as a result of dropping a wing? Why doesn't the G use rudder input to correct yaw? I'm semi-sure the answer is simple and because I never use 2 (anything) mode I am not snapping to what it is.
Still curious though.

thanks,
uf
adamtoo is online now Find More Posts by adamtoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:56 AM
Find More Posts by unknownflier
you-know-me ...
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Jul 2013
98 Posts
Like my F-22. See, I knew the forest was there. Damn trees.

UPDATE - Page 7 v1.1 manual, G does use the rudder in 2D HH, along with the ailerons. If no rudder then ailerons only. If no ailerons then elevons.
unknownflier is offline Find More Posts by unknownflier
Last edited by unknownflier; Yesterday at 12:13 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 03:30 AM
Find More Posts by farrari
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
521 Posts
wheres CHOOCHOO when he is needed. Again all 2D modes self level.
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by IGIVEUP1
Out of the Past
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Aug 2014
110 Posts
Does no one recall setting " LEVEL" in the initial setup. Yes! 2D HH self levels. HH is still 2D but holds a heading using aileron and elevator.
IGIVEUP1 is offline Find More Posts by IGIVEUP1
Last edited by IGIVEUP1; Apr 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by adamtoo
Sweden, Norrbotten County, Luleå
Joined Sep 2014
220 Posts
Thanks for the clarification everyone. I was just confused and apparently scoffed at earlier for suggesting that 2DH did self level
adamtoo is online now Find More Posts by adamtoo
Old Apr 22, 2015, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by John M63
Sioux Falls, SD
Joined May 2006
10 Posts
Guardian and a G62 gasser

Hi all, after our newer club members demonstrated the Guardian 2D/3D one of my fellow club members and I ordered a G. After repeated review of the instructions and 2/3 days of reviewing this thread I managed to complete the installation and somewhat understand the operation of the G.
While I was reviewing this thread I noticed that most of the aircraft were electrically powered. I then search the thread for gas power aircraft and found that vibration from gas engines may induce unwanted performance like destroying the G
My test gasser is a Giant Ugly Stick powered by a Zenoah G62 turning a 22X10 prop. I am using a JR 9303 TX and JR 921 RX.
I had originally installed the G with Velcro on a platform mounted to the side of the fuselage. I am now trying to come up with a new mounting solution. I have some packing material, not foam, but a sponge like material. I could cut a piece to fit in the fuselage side to side. Then cut a slot to place the G and put a small piece of tape to secure it to the packing material. I know without identifying the specifications on the packing material, it is like asking ‘how high is up.’
I read Rick’s current setup instructions and the section which he describes the “suspended platform” and gel pads. Those are good solutions and I will investigate.
I am wondering if any of the thread readers have experience with large gas engines and the G and could offer suggestions.
O and by the way I have decided not to use the G in my 1/3 scale L5 W/106 cc engine.
Thanks for reading.
John
John M63 is offline Find More Posts by John M63
Old Apr 23, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by ogg2000
Joined Jun 2013
27 Posts
Take a look at pages 687 and 688 of this thread. I've shown the two options I use based on the original idea by prof100 to used weights on a compliant mount to reduce the effects of vibration.

Prof100 shows his original solution on page 688.

As far as I can tell the G is immune to vibrations with either of these set ups. Obviously the DZ160 vibration is very reduced due to the AV mount. Its a beast and would kill a light airframe if solidly mounted.

Dave
ogg2000 is offline Find More Posts by ogg2000
Last edited by ogg2000; Apr 23, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:54 PM
you-know-me ...
Joined Jul 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGIVEUP1 View Post
Does no one recall setting " LEVEL" in the initial setup. Yes! 2D HH self levels. HH is still 2D but holds a heading using aileron and elevator.
Elevator has no bearing on azimuth control, on self leveling, yes

Per page 7 of the v1.1 (Choochoo22's) manual
[QUOTE]
2D with HH self levels when the sticks are centered and holds an azimuth. This is useful as described above.
2D without HH is the same but doesn’t hold an azimuth. This is useful for pilots who like to use rudder control on landings for example, as HH will oppose your rudder inputs.
[END QUOTE]
Last edited by unknownflier; Yesterday at 08:34 AM. Reason: correcting mistakes
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by DamonH
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
4,215 Posts
2DHH will oppose rudder input because it uses ailerons NOT rudder to control azimuth. If you use rudder to line up to runway for landing the g won't see it as a stick input and will counter with ailerons to try to correct. This is why 2DHH isn't really the best option for landing....
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
you-know-me ...
Joined Jul 2013
98 Posts
You are correct. I'm so used to controlling heading/azimuth with the rudder or a combination of rudder and aileron that when I read "will oppose rudder inputs" the first thing I think of is because it's using the rudder to control azimuth like when a c/w blows your tail around. but nope, it clearly says so under2D w/out HH. Good thing I handcatch and don't try to land in 2D HH, that would be a real show.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by Wintr
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownflier View Post
Elevator has no bearing on azimuth control, on self leveling, yes
If the nose rises or falls when the ailerons adjust for azimuth, the elevator will compensate, to keep the aircraft level, fore/aft.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by John M63
Sioux Falls, SD
Joined May 2006
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogg2000 View Post
Take a look at pages 687 and 688 of this thread. I've shown the two options I use based on the original idea by prof100 to used weights on a compliant mount to reduce the effects of vibration.
Prof100 shows his original solution on page 688.
Dave
Thanks Dave, I reviewed the pages you suggested and I plan to use them as a backup solution. I will use the foam as a vibration damper. It is difficult to explain the properties (for me) but (I think they will work (well, I hope they will work.)

I will provide pictures when the installations is finished.

Again many thanks for your input.

John
John M63 is offline Find More Posts by John M63
Old Today, 12:57 AM
you-know-me ...
Joined Jul 2013
98 Posts
@ wintr,
You said:
"to keep the aircraft level"
YES, the elevator is keeping the a/c level, whether it's caused by wind, ailerons ... or whatever.
The elevator can only control something pertaining to the vertical plane or pitch axis. It has no input value in controlling the azimuth contrary to what the earlier poster said. It is merely correcting a problem with the attitude caused by the ailerons.If the elevator was disconnected and the ailerons corrected for the azimuth and the elevator did not correct the attitude, the aircraft would still be back on the correct azimuth irregardless of whether it was nose up or nose down.