Old Apr 07, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by RCMC
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
610 Posts
Lanier 81" CAP 232 Recover

Team,

We are finished the covering except for a design on the bottoms of the main wings. The canopy, cowling and wheel pants need some painting to match the rest of the covering scheme and that I'll leave to the owner.

RCMC
RCMC is offline Find More Posts by RCMC
Old Apr 08, 2015, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by RCMC
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
610 Posts
Team,

Many thanks to all of you that viewed our humble little Build and Repair thread and to those that contributed pictures and discriptions of repairs completed. The thread has pasted the 25,000 views mark and I hope that it has been a help to those who have had the misfortune of damaged planes, pulling maintenence, or just wanted to upgrade current models.

Please remember that this thread belongs to all of the memebers on RCGroups and all are welcome to post here. I've seen many posts on the, plane specific, threads that I'd like to have posted here for historical value.

Again thanks and I plan to bring interesting repair and building tips in the near future.

RCMC
Old Apr 21, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by RCMC
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
610 Posts
Lanier 81" CAP 232 Recover

Team,

Some progress photos of the CAP. The covering is complete and the new landing gear fitted. The landing gear is from a 3D Hobby Shop 89" Slick and the wheel pants are from the 3DHS 92" Edge with 4" tires.

The last picture was taken during the painting of the plane's canopy...what a ride that was! I had to remove the old covering that was applied directly to the plastic canopy by using a brass brush in the Dremel. Then I had to fill and sand the canopy smooth before painting. This afternoon I got the first coat of silver on the canopy. The color I selected was a Nissan color I got from Pep Boys.

RCMC
Old Apr 21, 2015, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Oct 2012
119 Posts
Awesome work as always RCMC, congrats!
A couple of weeks ago I crashed my Yak 54 40e due to a lipo ejection during a lomcevak
I have been really busy at work and travelling a lot so repair took a log time to complete. Plane is almost finished now, I'll post some picures when I come back home.

crash video here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B77x...A1VG54Vms/edit
ronaldopn is online now Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Old Apr 21, 2015, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by Buzzed
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,471 Posts
Yeah, looks great! Can't wait to see that Cap in the air.

Also, have you ever wondered why all the ARFs that come China have a tiny overlap of covering that pulls up from the seams anytime heat is applied? It's a bit frustrating at times.

(Check out this 232 race a friend shared with me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWnstv7R-RI)
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by RCMC
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
610 Posts
Buzzed,

"Also, have you ever wondered why all the ARFs that come China have a tiny overlap of covering that pulls up from the seams anytime heat is applied? It's a bit frustrating at times."

I'm not sure what you are referring too in this sentence.

RCMC
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by tuck
Rouge Field
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,096 Posts
RCMC,
25k views is well deserved, this thread has helped me to carry on with several repairs.
Each repair better then the last. Thank you.

Ronaldopn, Sorry for your loss. I might not know what you were saying, but I could see your pain. Good luck with the repairs and enjoy.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Apr 22, 2015, 09:15 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,471 Posts
RCMC,

I just noticed that your fine covering job overlaps pieces of covering enough to stay "sealed" or together when you heat it up. The factory ARFs never put enough of an "overlap" to keep it together & looking good when the inevitable giant wrinkles show up after shipping.

Sorry, kinda hard to explain.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by RCMC
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
RCMC,

I just noticed that your fine covering job overlaps pieces of covering enough to stay "sealed" or together when you heat it up. The factory ARFs never put enough of an "overlap" to keep it together & looking good when the inevitable giant wrinkles show up after shipping.

Sorry, kinda hard to explain.
Buzzed,

I understand what you are saying now and yes, some planes have less of an overlap section to section than might seem required. I like to stick to an overlap of about 1/4" and try to keep that overlap consistent throughout the plane. Some colors overlap better than others. The darker colors seem to blend nice.

RCMC
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by Elec 1800
Flying 2 Fight Cancer
corona, ca
Joined Feb 2011
3,821 Posts
Looks AWESOME RCMC
Elec 1800 is offline Find More Posts by Elec 1800
Old Apr 22, 2015, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Also, have you ever wondered why all the ARFs that come China have a tiny overlap of covering that pulls up from the seams anytime heat is applied? It's a bit frustrating at times.
Savings on covering film?
Yeah, I know what you mean. Once I bought a funfly profile from HK and there was absolutely zero overlap. After re-ironing the trailing edge before attaching the ailerons (covering was very loose) you could see a strip of balsa of around 1/16".
Old Apr 22, 2015, 03:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
Ronaldopn, Sorry for your loss. I might not know what you were saying, but I could see your pain. Good luck with the repairs and enjoy.
Thanks
After the crash I was blaming myself because I thought I had forgotten to mate the Velcro that holds the battery. Later I understood this is very unlikely to happen as the un-matted velcro strap sits in front of the wires/ plug, almost preventing me to connect the XT90 plug.
The Velcro was simply too short and did not resist the lomcevak. I probably did not press it firmly too.
The rest of the speech is just cursing and swearing
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:33 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn View Post
Savings on covering film?
Yeah, I know what you mean. Once I bought a funfly profile from HK and there was absolutely zero overlap. After re-ironing the trailing edge before attaching the ailerons (covering was very loose) you could see a strip of balsa of around 1/16".
I've had the same exact thing happen on some high end birds! Just never wanted to believe it was a cost savings thing, but maybe it is.