Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 04, 2002, 12:04 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
Before I destroy my V-E.....

Will a stock Voyager, weighing 53 ozs, on 8 - RC2400's with +- 11 degrees of pitch, be able to loop and how much forward speed does it need?

The virtual one I made for Realflight has pretty poor cyclic rate and needs a lot of altitude but (half the time) I can loop it if I get the collective near 0 at the top.

Hank
HankF is offline Find More Posts by HankF
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2002, 12:36 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,215 Posts
Hello Hank

Just keep it moderatelly fast and high and you can loop anything, even a Corona

Just get the heli flying in a straight and level and high pull back and let her loop. Back off of the collective some at the top and as you exit add more collective and level out.

Have fun!

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Nov 04, 2002, 03:05 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
Hi Carlo, I worry about getting so high I can't see what it's doing! That's the experience I have on Realflight. The V isn't a very big heli.

Hank
Old Nov 04, 2002, 04:06 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Sep 2001
348 Posts
It will do it from eyelevel from a hover if you have the PEK on it and set-up correctly...

bT
twguns is offline Find More Posts by twguns
Old Nov 04, 2002, 05:39 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,215 Posts
Hello BT

Do you mean stationary flip because I would love to see a nice round loop from a stand still hover at eye level.

Hank dont be afraid to put some bright colors on that heli to make it more visible. Even the big boys put bright colors on their helis to help them selves out.

Here are some examples:

I need to take my own advice

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Nov 04, 2002, 06:04 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Sep 2001
348 Posts
To do a "nice round loop" you will of course need some air speed, but my point is that with a stock V-E you will need all the air speed you can muster and a gob of altitude... The PEK (and correct set-up) enables flips (if you must) and rolls with little or no loss of altitude from a hover and at any altitude that you have the stones to do it at...

bT
twguns is offline Find More Posts by twguns
Old Nov 04, 2002, 09:10 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Stock???

Hank,

My concern is how stock is your stock V-E??? Are you running the brushed motor that comes stock with the V-E? If so I'd not recommend it...the brushed motor will bog quite a bit if you are not careful with the collective management. And if you have the stock head dampening you could really be in for a problem too. The stock dampening is very mushy. Make sure your blades are tight in the grips too if you decide to try it as well. I'd say to spool up the heli and make sure your helis blades are in the grips ok...then tighten the mainrotor bolts. If you tighten them too much before you have them in the correct position you could lock them incorrectly in the grips and the centrifugal force won't be enough to make them right.

I flew my STOCK V-E for about a month with the brushed motor included in the kit. Went through lots of brushes. And aerobatics had to be VERY precise. I did fly it inverted and did some slow smooth aerobatics. Just watch your power and motor loading.

That is if you are still running the stock motor. The helis weight is a concern but your weight is fine if you are running a brushless motor.

If you already knew this, OK, you asked and I just tried to help...

Best regards,

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Nov 04, 2002, 09:25 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
No, no Ron. I appreciate the input. But all you guys are making me nervous.

Is 8 cells enough? And, yes, I still have the stock motor. I have a Kyosho Atom Smasher to try after the original's brushes are kaput. And if I don't destroy it first, I'll probably, eventually go brushless. But I really want to stick with 8 - SC packs as I have an airplane which uses them also.

I have a couple of the PEK mods but I don't have the paddles. Can I just get them?

Hank
Old Nov 04, 2002, 10:06 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Power

Hank,

8 cells is good power providing you have a good motor like a brushless one. The new brushless motors work very well on 8 cells be them nicads or nimhs types.

I flew my V-E stock with the 540 can brushed stock motor on 8 cell nicads for a month. It will do some aerobatics but you need to be careful, as the brushed motor will bog. 10 cells will be better but you still have a motor that will bog IMO. You can fly the V-E like an airplane and loop it just don't go hog wild on the collective stick while going through the maneuver. I'd try and keep the collective stick near center as you begin your pulling back of the right stick as you come out of forward flight and begin the loop. This is because you will of course be adding pitch with the right stick. Too much pitch will cause problems. If you begin to see wobbles in flight don't do the loop or a crash will most definitely be the outcome. Wobbles are a clear sign of over pitching and low mainrotor speeds.

I'm just trying to prepare you...I don't like to see anyone crash. Not the least just for the sake of crashing...for not knowing what to expect.

I think the paddles from the PEK are available seperate. BigTim would know better. <VBG> The paddles will help as will the other head mods but mainrotor rpms are just as important to keep the heli doing what it's suposto be doing...

GOOD LUCK!

GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Last edited by GMRO; Nov 04, 2002 at 10:08 PM.