Old Aug 21, 2014, 04:06 PM
Brazil, DF, Brasilia
Joined Feb 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danong View Post
Thank you Tom for replying to my plead.

I have 2 mobius #A and #B.

I bought mobius #A about 3 weeks ago. Updated it to FW2.10 straight off as I want the MP4 format badly. Everything went well. Recorded some nice HD videos and am a very HAPPY man. This was with a SAMSUNG 32gb card.

So I bought another mobius #B a week ago for my fishing friend and it arrived yesterday. I wanted to update it to FW2.10 again because of the MP4 option. Before connecting it to the PC, I inserted a generic 4gb card. MSETUP can detect the mobius#B but somehow can't update it. I tried a couple of times, each time disconnecting then connecting again and that's when the steady BLUE led comes on.

I thought could be the generic 4gb card problem so I remove it and tried the samsung 32gb card from my 1st mobius#A. It is still steady BLUE led even with the samsung 32gb card.

Now when I put back the 32gb card back into mobius#A, it also got the steady BLUE led.

I didn't do anything to my good working mobius#A, I just took out it's 32gb card, put it into mobius#B, put it back to mobius#A and now it too got the steady blue led.

I'm really puzzled.

I told my fishing friend how good the mobius is and it's a great buy but now it's so embarassing if I I have to tell him otherwise.
An interrupted firmware update (maybe caused by a faulty 4GB card) can somehow corrupt the firmware file on the card, and it will cause the "locked on blue light" behaviour on any camera that has that card inserted in.

Follow the manual instructions:

1. Download the firmware .zip archive file and un-zip it. Copy the actual firmware file (always named FWTLCAM.BIN as noted above) from it's identifying folder into the camera's flash card root directory (the one that opens when the camera connects as a removable drive). This can be done with the card in the camera connected to the computer as a Removable Drive, or externally in a card reader. But do NOT rename the file. If you do, the camera will not install it!

2. Disconnect the camera and turn it off.

3. Insert the flash card containing the new firmware file into the camera (if not already in the camera).

4. Press the Power button until the BLUE LED turns on and begins to flash. RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON AS SOON AS LED FLASHING BEGINS! If you keep pressing it longer, you may turn off the camera before the update process is done. DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS WHILE THE INSTALLATION IS IN PROGRESS (about 20 sec. to complete)

5. To confirm the firmware is being loaded into the camera, the BLUE LED will continue to blink during the upload process.

6. When the FW installation is complete, the BLUE LED will turn off for about 2 sec. and the YELLOW LED will then turn on solid, indicating the FW file is has been automatically deleted from the memory card.

7. You're done! The camera will be in the normal start-up standby mode ready for use.
DMZamora is offline Find More Posts by DMZamora
Last edited by DMZamora; Yesterday at 12:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:22 PM
Joined Apr 2014
43 Posts
My video is perfect with the stock A lens. No blurring on the left edge. But I'm not a fan of fishy lenses. So I bought a few aftermarket m12 lenses. 3mm. 4mm. 6mm. They all produce video with blur on the very left edge. Top to bottom.

I filled the mount down to make sure it was perfectly level. I even tried shims.

Is this a Mobius problem or is my sensor bad? Just looking for feedback before I spend $40 on a new lens module.

Latest fw. Narrow mode.
mmahl is online now Find More Posts by mmahl
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahl View Post
My video is perfect with the stock A lens. No blurring on the left edge. But I'm not a fan of fishy lenses. So I bought a few aftermarket m12 lenses. 3mm. 4mm. 6mm. They all produce video with blur on the very left edge. Top to bottom.
Look for "megapixel" lens, not just "m12 cctv lens" - you need 5mp lens, else image will be blurry (and - IR filter too, but this can be glued separately). Won't be cheap...
Btw, "A" lens isn't fisheye... "B" is more, "A" is narrow enough.
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM
animator in Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2014
353 Posts
@ mmahl & ABLomas:

The A lens is also bit fishy, i.e. has curved lines at edges, but less so than the B lens.

I've bought a couple of cctv lenses for $10-$13 apiece, got them installed successfully, with quite adequate sharpness all over - see my recent posts.

The problem with bad focus on one side only can be due to two factors: Skewed mechanical attachment, or the "non-centered bug" in narrow AOV, which cuts off the right side of the image from the lens.

Use only the wide AOV (i.e. first option in the camera setup) - if the focus then is bad on both sides when the sensor is perfectly shimmed, the lens simply doesn't cover enough sensor area. Most lenses for 1/3" sensors do - the "Megapixel" name is often more marketing than fact.

Even the Mobius' own A and B lenses aren't quite sharp edge-to-edge, but can usually be focused to a good average.

Shimming is a critical operation, too little or too much will spoil the sharpness. Filing the mount is unnecessary, shims will do the same.

While shimming, check with the video-out cable connected to a TV - if the focus on just one side gets better when the lens is rotated or if there is a marked difference, the shimming is not perfect. Both sides of the image should go in and out of focus at the same time.

When the shimming as good as possible, I then do a test recording in full HD, wide AOV, while I rotate the lens (i.e. change focus), at the same time announcing the position of a little mark I've scratched on the lens barrel. I can then look at the video in full-HD on the PC, and choose the best position. In this way I've got all my four lenses focused and shimmed in the best possible way. (Yes, I have four Mobii... )
Janke is online now Find More Posts by Janke
Old Yesterday, 02:53 AM
Joined Aug 2013
3 Posts
You cannot use a battery box with only 3 AAA / 3 AA batteries unless it incorporates step-up electronics to output 5V.
3 Batteries can only supply about 3.6V, but the camera requires a minimum of approx. 4.7V constant voltage. It will not charge or record when the voltage falls below approx. 4.3V.

Perhaps we can use a box with 4 AA RECHARGEABLE batteries (1.2V)
4 batteries = 4.8V

All the best,
Suso
suso is offline Find More Posts by suso
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM
Joined Oct 2013
47 Posts
What I would like to know is if the "fake" 25fps is a hardware limitation or a firmware bug/laziness? Coz the current 25fps implementation is a showstopper for me using the mobius!!

Knowing this up front would be awesome!

So. . Is it fixable?

All I really need to know. ...

/Z
MasterZap is online now Find More Posts by MasterZap
Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suso View Post
You cannot use a battery box with only 3 AAA / 3 AA batteries unless it incorporates step-up electronics to output 5V.
3 Batteries can only supply about 3.6V, but the camera requires a minimum of approx. 4.7V constant voltage. It will not charge or record when the voltage falls below approx. 4.3V.

Perhaps we can use a box with 4 AA RECHARGEABLE batteries (1.2V)
4 batteries = 4.8V

All the best,
Suso
My thoughts..
Alkaline cell start at apx 1,6v new, down to 1.2v. 3 off = 4.8v ->3.6v.
rechargeable start at apx 1.5v full, down to 1.0v. 4 off = 6v -> 4v.
USB input needs 5.0v +- 5% = 4.75 -> 5.25.

My experience is less than 4,85v at the camera end of the cable, on load = problems.
Allowing a 10% margin on the usb input chips = 5.5v ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM before you let the magic smoke out of the power/charge chips in the Mobius.
Much more info in the first 8 postings.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Yesterday at 06:08 AM. Reason: changed where the 4,85 v measured.
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
Camera Reseller.
Joined May 2013
331 Posts
Hi Everyone,
We would really love some help and we could really do with yours. JooVuu is trying to figure out the direction it should take and this is your chance to have a say. Please go to www.joovuu.com/survey

The survey takes less than 2 minutes and you get the chance to win the following:

1 x Mobius Action Camera
1 x Waterproof case
1 x Chest strap
1 x Headstrap
1 x Handlebar mount
1 x Motorbike and bike mount
1 x Extendable Monopod
1 x Extended Helmet Arm
1 x Suction Cup

Second and third prize:
1 x Mobius Action Camera
1 x Waterproof Case

Simply by entering with your email. Thank you!

Kind regards,

JooVuu
JooVuu is offline Find More Posts by JooVuu
Last edited by JooVuu; Yesterday at 08:04 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
Flight cadet
The Netherlands, OV, Enschede
Joined Jul 2012
277 Posts
issue solved
oxygen is online now Find More Posts by oxygen
Last edited by oxygen; Yesterday at 08:50 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Camera Reseller.
Joined May 2013
331 Posts
Ahhh woops please go to www.joovuu.com/survey

thank you!
JooVuu is offline Find More Posts by JooVuu
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
@ mmahl & ABLomas:

The A lens is also bit fishy, i.e. has curved lines at edges, but less so than the B lens.

I've bought a couple of cctv lenses for $10-$13 apiece, got them installed successfully, with quite adequate sharpness all over - see my recent posts.

The problem with bad focus on one side only can be due to two factors: Skewed mechanical attachment, or the "non-centered bug" in narrow AOV, which cuts off the right side of the image from the lens.

Use only the wide AOV (i.e. first option in the camera setup) - if the focus then is bad on both sides when the sensor is perfectly shimmed, the lens simply doesn't cover enough sensor area. Most lenses for 1/3" sensors do - the "Megapixel" name is often more marketing than fact.

Even the Mobius' own A and B lenses aren't quite sharp edge-to-edge, but can usually be focused to a good average.

Shimming is a critical operation, too little or too much will spoil the sharpness. Filing the mount is unnecessary, shims will do the same.

While shimming, check with the video-out cable connected to a TV - if the focus on just one side gets better when the lens is rotated or if there is a marked difference, the shimming is not perfect. Both sides of the image should go in and out of focus at the same time.

When the shimming as good as possible, I then do a test recording in full HD, wide AOV, while I rotate the lens (i.e. change focus), at the same time announcing the position of a little mark I've scratched on the lens barrel. I can then look at the video in full-HD on the PC, and choose the best position. In this way I've got all my four lenses focused and shimmed in the best possible way. (Yes, I have four Mobii... )
Excellent advice as always.

Thank you!
mmahl is online now Find More Posts by mmahl
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
@ mmahl & ABLomas:
or the "non-centered bug" in narrow AOV, which cuts off the right side of the image from the lens.
FWIW, the non-centered bug has been fixed... coming soon, to a FW download site near you!

I doubt you'll find any lens in the same price range as the Mobius lenses that has better focus and image quality (resolution, contrast, color fringing control, etc.) across the entire FOV.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Today, 12:03 AM
Joined Aug 2014
4 Posts
Nice idea. Another option (that I am using) is to increase the contrast instead of exposure. It is much more gradual, and offers a definite brightness increase. I've found that you need to decrease the saturation by about the same value to keep the video looking good. My current setting is to increase contrast to +24 and decrease saturation to -24. My white balance is set to "sunny" to avoid the constant changes caused by automatic white balance.
max9219 is offline Find More Posts by max9219
Old Today, 01:30 AM
animator in Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2014
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
FWIW, the non-centered bug has been fixed... coming soon, to a FW download site near you!
Great news, can't wait for the next FW - or, actually, I can, because I have to...

Quote:
I doubt you'll find any lens in the same price range as the Mobius lenses that has better focus and image quality (resolution, contrast, color fringing control, etc.) across the entire FOV.
I absolutely agree, even though I'm always ready to experiment...

The eBay "GoPro 170" lens is very close in FOV and quality compared to the Mobius B, but not quite as good edge-to-edge sharpness. The eBay "fisheye" 1.8mm f:2 is wider than anything that Mobius can provide, so if you need 180 corner-to-corner, it's pretty good for its price, $13...

For experimental purposes, I also bought a "zoom" lens, 2.8-12mm f:1.4 - but it's not a real zoom, it's a "varifocal" that needs to be refocused every time you touch the zoom lever... Since the Mobius has no finder where you can check the focus, such a lens is no good - so stay away from "zooms"...

I'm currently waiting for a 2.1 mm f:2 lens ($10), and will check and see how that compares with the A and B lenses.

All in all, the Mobius developers have indeed chosen excellent lenses for their cameras!
Janke is online now Find More Posts by Janke