HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
Discussion
Miss Geico or Atomik Venom

Hi all,
I am a newbie here and have been interested in getting a small RC boat for our lake behind the house. Online reviews and you tube videos have helped me narrow it down to these two. 17" Miss Geico and 17" Atomik Venom. Both look pretty cool online and I know the Geico is a cat style vs the Venom's V hull but the Venom has the self flipping option which would save me some swimming or paddling out to get her if she flips. Any suggestions from members on here between the two of them for a beginner. I want something that will be fun but will also that I can get parts for and that will last. Thanks in advance.
rc2323 is offline Find More Posts by rc2323
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:37 AM
Joined Aug 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc2323 View Post
Hi all,
I am a newbie here and have been interested in getting a small RC boat for our lake behind the house. Online reviews and you tube videos have helped me narrow it down to these two. 17" Miss Geico and 17" Atomik Venom. Both look pretty cool online and I know the Geico is a cat style vs the Venom's V hull but the Venom has the self flipping option which would save me some swimming or paddling out to get her if she flips. Any suggestions from members on here between the two of them for a beginner. I want something that will be fun but will also that I can get parts for and that will last. Thanks in advance.
----------------------------------
any replies to this post --also have this same question - thanks
redbenjoe2 is offline Find More Posts by redbenjoe2
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:20 AM
Joined Apr 2010
831 Posts
Even self righting boats will get stuck out in the middle of the water for various reasons (battery issues, electronics/RX issues, connector issues, prop/driveline issues, debris, etc) so you need a reliable rescue method that does not include swimming out to a stranded boat.

I use a 2nd low cost boat with an eyehook screwed into the back and tow a tennis ball or gaff about 6' behind and drive it around the stranded boat to tow it back. If your rescue boat is too small to tow the stranded boat then you can also just use the boat to haul out a fishing line on a reel.

Or get a cheap inflatable boat.

Have you thought about boats in the 30" range? They typically are setup to run on 4S (using two 2S1P packs which are affordable), use brushless motors, easier to upgrade, able to run on rougher water, and are faster. If you have a NAMBA club nearby you could race a 30" cat or mono in p-limited offshore class. But if your pond is really small the smaller boat might be better.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain