HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:51 PM
RC Basher
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
DX6i or Futaba 6EX

I recently picked up a basically new helimax 400 rtf which came with a Futaba 6EX. I've only flown a blade cx so far so after speaking to a friend who is more well versed in heli, he advised me to not fly the 400 as I'm not experienced enough. I just recently picked up a used dx6i because I planned on picking up an mcpx to gain some experience. Now I want some advise on whether I should keep both transmitters or sell the 6ex and reciever and pick up a spektrum receiver for when I'm ready to fly the 400.
Jersey Crewmax is offline Find More Posts by Jersey Crewmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:23 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
I have owned a DX6i and a Futaba 6EXP (very similiar to the 6EX, only not 2.4) I have only used them in planes though.

In my opinion I would get a rx for the DX6i. Out of the radios Ive ever owned (not many, but a few) and used, it was by far my favorite. The programming was very easy for me to use. The feel while flying was my favorite.

You can get DSM2 receivers for very cheap on hobbyking.com. I wish these would have been out before I left the hobby and sold my TX. From what Ive read, they seem to be very good.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html

They also have the Futaba Fasst rx here to but it is more expensive.

Another point is the parkzone BNF micros. I had the originial Vapor when I got my DX6i. Binding took seconds and I was up in the air flying. It was nice for me because I felt more like flying RC with a high end TX, rather than the little radio the vapor came with.

May I also recommend keeping them both? They are arguably the two best 6ch TXs out there, and even though I prefered the DX6i, I liked my futaba very much. Having a spare TX seems to be nice for some people (I have never owned more than one at a time)
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
of the 2 the DX6i
wile the upper range Futaba radios are good the 6EX is not a heli radio and lacks things you really need for helis
the biggest is subtrim
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:19 AM
RC Basher
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
of the 2 the DX6i
wile the upper range Futaba radios are good the 6EX is not a heli radio and lacks things you really need for helis
the biggest is subtrim
I think I'm going to just sell the Futaba transmitter and reciever sooner than not before I decide to use Axe heli and then get lazy and not change out the radio system from it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:28 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Crewmax View Post
I think I'm going to just sell the Futaba transmitter and reciever sooner than not before I decide to use Axe heli and then get lazy and not change out the radio system from it.
This will be a good thing to do anyway... the setup on the 400 leaves a little to be desired, and when you replace the receiver, you'll have to do all that setup again, giving you a chance to get it right. Setup is a huge source of problems for beginners - it can cause the helicopter to fly really wrong, and beginners typically don't have the reaction speed to deal with that issue. Get your friend to help you do the setup and first flights - the AXE 400 can fly pretty well, but it usually requires some work to get it right.

Also, the DX6i is just a better helicopter radio in many ways. I am not sure why Futaba made the 6EX so different, but it was a mistake, particularly if they are going to sell it with helicopters.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
the heli programing on the 6EX was a bit of an after thought it was really aimed at fixed wing
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:17 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,844 Posts
DX6i is way better than 6ex hands down. Futaba makes fine items but this is not one of them for helis.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:03 PM
RC Basher
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
I appreciate all the input. I ended up listing it in the marketplace.

Once I get better ill look into the dx7 or dx8.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
if you have the money and think your going to stick with the hobby
get one now dont wait

a good TX is worth the investment
dont think just because your not good doesnt mean you cant benefit from the better programing and gimbals