Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:19 AM
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
So is the general consensus that the stock motor the heli comes with poor? But the replacement motors have a better lifespan?
I will be picking one up this weekend and the only thing I have mainly been hearing is that the stock motor doesn't last long. And when people replace it with another, it has better performance and lasts longer.
Should I just buy the replacement from the get go?
MrRcAddict is offline Find More Posts by MrRcAddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:51 AM
Tiel, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2007
251 Posts
I have the RtF version and did take a better look to the pitch angle.
I think it has less negative pitch then positive pitch but mid stick seems to be fine at zero.

I don't think so but is there an option to change the pitch with the dx4 tx?
TurboCinqy is offline Find More Posts by TurboCinqy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
How long do you guys think it will be before we start seeing aftermarket upgrades?
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:56 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
What rates were they?
All of the Hyperion UM cells are 25c continuous discharge/5c charge.

Just got back from flying a few packs in the backyard. Just some FFF circuits, nose-in hovering, and a few flips & rolls. First thing I noticed was that it's much easier to do aerobatics with the CPX than it was with my mCP X. As others have noted - the tail holds much better, and the main is less apt to bog if the pilot gets a bit ham-fisted on the collective. Fun little heli. The local birds got all excited & were chattering away during my flights.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Would you return it if you could?

Would you return your Nano for a full refund if you could? If so, why?
dtheli is offline Find More Posts by dtheli
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:22 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtheli View Post
Yeah, why return it? Its overall a fun little heli and not to expensive. It is perfect for me indoors over the winter.
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
No. As Joel noted it is much easier to perform aerobatics with it vs. the mCPX as the power to weight ratio is higher. In the 5+ flights on mine I had a great time. I took it to the gym at work and found it was a confidence builder. After my Nano crapped out I did some stunts with the mCPX that I hadn't previously done indoors.

I had been doing my mCPX stunts outdoors over grass "just in case" I whacked it.

The Nano's going to be a great winter flyer.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:56 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Personally I think it's a keeper!

I bought mine so that when I go out to sea for work, I can fly it around on the mess decks of the ship during my off time, and it's the perfect size for that, and it fits in my luggage real nice.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,196 Posts
It's a definite keeper! I had a few issues with mine the same as others but overall it's a kick in the pants. I'm an ok heli pilot I guess and I did my first flips and rolls on it. Big confidence booster indeed!
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:43 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,037 Posts
alternative motor

I remember I read this somewhere on here a few days ago ... but I'll ask anyway ...
A few days ago some guys suggested using the mQX motor as a replacement for the nano stock motor.
My stock motor seems to be dying (the nano wont get off the ground more than 2inch anymore etc. (old, well known problem) and I am curious if anybody actually flies this motor and what the experiences are ... and if using this motor instead another stocker requires soldering???

Oh, and do I have to use (or WOULD I have to use) a clockwise or counter-clockwise motor?

Thanks for any help
E2
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Someone said that you have to cut the frame for it to fit but it gives more power....I think i remember reading around a 500rpm increase.
As far as clockwise to counter-clockwise to switch between the two should only require reversing the polarity.

I use both mcx2 main motors for tail motors on the nano
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro50 View Post
Is a good mod, not like brushless but beter than stock. take a drill and glue sand paper to half of it. Only sand the front side of the frame. remember you need a 10t Pinion to make this work or you wil not see 5500 heed speed Zero pitch, full pitch 3400 MQX Clockwize Motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I remember I read this somewhere on here a few days ago ... but I'll ask anyway ...
A few days ago some guys suggested using the mQX motor as a replacement for the nano stock motor.
My stock motor seems to be dying (the nano wont get off the ground more than 2inch anymore etc. (old, well known problem) and I am curious if anybody actually flies this motor and what the experiences are ... and if using this motor instead another stocker requires soldering???

Oh, and do I have to use (or WOULD I have to use) a clockwise or counter-clockwise motor?

Thanks for any help
E2
I tried it on mine and to me wasn't worth it, I had to modify the frame by sanding the motor mount since the MQX motor is a larger diameter. I found that it takes a lot of structure out of the frame plus you have to run a 10 tooth pinion "going by the guy who originally did it" and the gear mesh is way to tight to work IMO. Really wouldn't bother with it, I'd wait for the brushless conversion that asteroid designs is going to release, from what I was told should be about 2 weeks out.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Geeeze Louiseee, I go away for a day and I have to sift through almost four pages of reading. I can tell you after missing a day of flying the Nano, my memory for job related things are terrible. I went this morning to deliver a job but my truck woudn't start so I jump in the car and made sure I had all my birds in it. Well, I forgot the job and went to the field to fly and forgot my new 190 MiniAviation batteries. So I flew a couple of flights with the Nano on 150's and my 130X to try out my new Lynx bling head. It was foggy and windy but I flew anyway. I upped my D/R on my Nano to 120 on aileron and elevator with zero expo to try and tighten my flips a rolls and it did help. My God this little bugger is fast. I love flippin and rolling my 130X because it is like slow motion compared to the Nano. I went home and it was more windy and foggy but I had to try the new 190 MiniAviation Batteries. I flew both Nanos and used all five of my M.A. batteries. All batteries performed well except #2 when it died after a 11/2 minutes into the flight while doing a back flip. I only flew them for two minutes because they are new and I did not have a full charge on them (4.09). When they break in after about ten flights, then I will put them to the test. At the end of each flight they were reading 3.81-3.83 and that was doing heaving pitch pumps, flippin and rolling most of the time. They seemed to performed about the same as my e-flite 150s which I can get three minutes of flight time. I hoping that when these batteries break in, I can get four minutes of flight time. I do get too much bogging with the brushed motor. I can't wait to get Dylan's low speed brush setup. I need to do a lot of work on my collective management with this little bird. I wish it handled more like my 130X. It definitely is a challenge for me and I always love a good challenge. Sorry for the long post, I just had to get my fix!

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Last edited by Willyboy; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Feb 2007
531 Posts
I'm using dx4e as well, but maybe we are not talking about the same thing, but if you want blade pitch at 0 at midstick and it wasn't, I think you would just adjust the linkages. Before that you need to make sure the collar has not slipped (collar to main gear needs to be in proper position).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCinqy View Post
I have the RtF version and did take a better look to the pitch angle.
I think it has less negative pitch then positive pitch but mid stick seems to be fine at zero.

I don't think so but is there an option to change the pitch with the dx4 tx?
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Tiel, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2007
251 Posts
Mid stick is okť. But it looks like it has more positive pitch than negative on stick limits in idle up.
Will try to measure it.
TurboCinqy is offline Find More Posts by TurboCinqy