HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, OR, Roseburg
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
Question
how old is this plane!

picked this up at a swapmeet for $40. has a royal .45 that runs ok. i pulled all the psc? pcs? rx and servos out and replaced that with futaba stuff. the wing and stab covering was dried out and mostly gone. recovered those areas with monocote and i plan on using this as a low budget trainer.
from the decals it is a goldburg cessna skylane. the wingspan is 61 1/2". any ideas on the age?
thanks all

sweatybetty is offline Find More Posts by sweatybetty
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
here are some pics of the old rx and servos. ive done a google search and cant find anything.

Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:32 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
975 Posts
PCS stood for Proportional Control Systems, a radio system manufacturer sometime in the late 60's to early 70's. They were essentially a Kraft Radio Control product sold from a different address than the Kraft radios were. They were usually about 1-2 years behind on using what would then be current technology from Kraft. Cliff Weirick, a well-known modeler in the aerobatic model airplane world, was the principal owner of the company. It would be wise not to let that system back in the air again, as it does not meet current FCC requirements. I'd be happy to buy the radio for my collection, though

Oh, yeah, the Cessna Skylane is a Carl Goldberg kit from the early '70s. No relation to the current brand. Built straight, they were good flying and made good trainers if you had someone to help during the trim flights, then that someone could help out on the training. Looks well-built, engine should be OK, and the Futaba radio is a good choice. Hope it goes well with you.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
Balsabird, thank you. all i have are the rx and servos which you are welcome to if you'd like. i have no use for them and would rather see some one have them than go in the trash.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:05 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
what frequency does it work on? if it's 50mhz it's still legal.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:11 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
what frequency does it work on? if it's 50mhz it's still legal.
Can anyone operate on 50 Mhz in America ?

How many channels are available in the 50 Mhz band ?

What are the frequencies used ?

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:22 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Classic!

Wow, that brings back very good memories.

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:20 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Can anyone operate on 50 Mhz in America ?

How many channels are available in the 50 Mhz band ?

What are the frequencies used ?

Zor
Amateur radio, the ham band for RC or radio control still uses the 50mhz channels.
They never changed it,

The age for a Goldberg Cessna Skylane 62 is going to be tough to determine. CG made the kit for many years and they had ARFs later too. But the old PCS system probably dates it to around the late 1960's to early 1970's. Goldberg started making the kit in the early 1960's, so the plane could be from that era too.

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga1092.html
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 28, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:36 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Amateur radio, the ham band for RC or radio control still uses the 50mhz channels.
They never changed it,

The age for a Goldberg Cessna Skylane 62 is going to be tough to determine. CG made the kit for many years and they had ARFs later too. But the old PCS system probably dates it to around the late 1960's to early 1970's. Goldberg started making the kit in the early 1960's, so the plane could be from that era too.

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga1092.html
You're right. The later ARF 62 Skylane had flaps. I know because I had one. It's got to be the early kit version.

Pete
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,361 Posts
"Can anyone operate on 50 Mhz in America ? "

Sure. Any one with a Radio Amateur License.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:50 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
645 Posts
Goldberg released the kit in 1968. The original had no flaps (didn't need 'em!)
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:41 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
975 Posts
Toysrme:

That's true, I didn't think of it. If it's on six meters it should still be OK to fly. I wonder how wide the RX front end is?

sweatybetty:

I'd be happy to pay for the shipping to 92065, Ramona, California. Let me know if a money order is OK. Thanks.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:04 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest View Post
I agree. I think the original Kit was more likely far better than the ARF in my opinion. I let a ol' timer fly mine many years ago, and he said it's nothing like what he had. "Less forgiving" he said to that effect.

Sweaty, I'd take good care of that plane if I were you. It is a collectors item, especially those servo's and equipment that came with it.

You really lucked out!

It's funny what we can find at swap meets, and flea markets. Many times a loved one dies or gets out of the hobby- the wife or family member tries to sell it not knowing the worth, or the histrory of it.

I bought a 1995 O.S. FS.91II-Surpass engine from e-bay for $140. The original owner died and the wife dropped off the engine at a e-bay drop off box. The only thing she told them was it ran.

It was like brand new, just sat for a long time and was a little tared up.

Another good deal I got was I bought this Discontinued Great Planes 60 Fokker Dr1 about 2 years ago.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._7/key_/tm.htm

I wanted this plane since I've been in the hobby, but they discontinued it a year before I entered the hobby so I couldn't find one anywhere. Then one day I saw a ad in RCU for one used, and he wanted $400 firm for it. I tried to tallk him down and he wasn't having it. So I waited, and waited. Finally after 8 months of waiting, he changed the price down to $300. All I had to do is drive 400 miles to pick it up and bring it home.

The bad part was when I got there, the plane looked nothing like what was in the photos in the ad, and my wife was going to kill me if I turned it down. But what did encourage me the most to buy it was it had a mint condition 1983 O.S. FS120- before surpass (Looks like a Saito) in the plane.

So basicly I bought the engine, and the unflyable airplane just happened to come with it.

Well 10 months and a lot of cash later, and refusing to give up my dream ARF, I did a total rebuild and "Bashed" the plane. You would have never known it was the GP Fokker originally, and I was lucky enough to have my planes shown on page 82 in Model Aviation this month.

My Fokker Dr1 is now a "Hanger Queen" and only brought out and cleaned for the big shows. I do run the engine and fly it a few times a year, but mostly she hangs on the ceiling and I bring it down for a good cleaning. I don't fly it in any wind gusts above 4mph, the last event I went to the wind was gusting up to 9mph, so she only was static that day. But I did have a full tank of glow, waiting to go if the wind died down. But it didn't.

Take good care of that nice plane of yours.

Pete
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,420 Posts
rudder,rudder,every where

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest View Post
That was the first airplane I was forced to use rudder on..My buddy and his son and I built three over one winter .We used the old Veco.61's in them.When we went to the field to fly,we all remarked that the Airplane was very good in Knife edge,even though we weren't trying.....
That airplane needed about a 40 degree bank,before elevator would pull it around. When we tentatively applied rudder,it turned easily,with very little bank.
And so began the saga of my telling everyone about that amazing stick on the left of the transmitter....It's still MY primary control..
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
I built Guillows and Comet stick and tissue kits when I was a kid. I bought my first R/C plane, a Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 in 1974. Back then, if you wanted to fly, you had to build.

After a twenty-plus year hiatus from the hobby, one of the first things I did was try and track-down a Falcon of the same era as my original. I "won" one on that popular auction site.

Here is the Carl Goldberg brochure thats in the kit box. Enjoy.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1