HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:24 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickg66 View Post
Mike, you forgot two other EXCELLENT manufacturers for "really great performance": 3d Hobby Shop and Extreme Flight RC. I've got planes from both of them, and can honestly say their products and customer support are nothing short of exceptional!
YEs.. They make great products. I stand corrected. PA and HK always come to mind first... I wonder why!
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
JPF: that distance from the motor mount plate to the cowl you are looking for is 48-49mm.
Thats allowing a 1-2mm overlap at the back of the cowl for the canopy to clip under.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
JPF: that distance from the motor mount plate to the cowl you are looking for is 48-49mm.
Thats allowing a 1-2mm overlap at the back of the cowl for the canopy to clip under.
Thanks for confirming.. that means that most of the HK motors I listed as being suitable are too long to fit properly. Excluding prop adapter and X-mount then you need a motor thats no longer then about 38mm. That really does severely limit the choice.

Of the motors I listed in post #17 not one of the 3s motors are short enough.

For 4s motors only the following will fit without a huge spinner gap:
NTM Prop Drive Series 42-38 750kv
Turnigy L3020B-600 (a bit low on the kv though)

Of non Hobbyking motors the choice is also very limited, the EF torque 2814T/820 will fit and the Omega 130 will also go in, but both are a bit on the small side for this model IMHO.. Probably the best option would be the Motrolfly DM2820 series.

I cant help but think that Hobbyking have slipped up pretty badly in making the motor mounting design that is unsuitable for 90% of the motors on the market that are powerful enough to fly the model in the manner intended. Most of their own motors don't fit properly, including all the motors that Hobbyking list as being compatible and the actual motor used in the flight video

Of course if you don't object to a big ugly spinner/cowl gap then it's not an issue

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
roger, you have reported about the excellent packing of the slick.
how do you like the rest of the kit?
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Thanks for confirming.. that means that most of the HK motors I listed as being suitable are too long to fit properly. Excluding prop adapter and X-mount then you need a motor thats no longer then about 38mm. That really does severely limit the choice.

Of the motors I listed in post #17 not one of the 3s motors are short enough.

For 4s motors only the following will fit without a huge spinner gap:
NTM Prop Drive Series 42-38 750kv
Turnigy L3020B-600 (a bit low on the kv though)

Of non Hobbyking motors the choice is also very limited, the EF torque 2814T/820 will fit and the Omega 130 will also go in, but both are a bit on the small side for this model IMHO.. Probably the best option would be the Motrolfly DM2820 series.

I cant help but think that Hobbyking have slipped up pretty badly in making the motor mounting design that is unsuitable for 90% of the motors on the market that are powerful enough to fly the model in the manner intended. Most of their own motors don't fit properly, including all the motors that Hobbyking list as being compatible and the actual motor used in the flight video

Of course if you don't object to a big ugly spinner/cowl gap then it's not an issue

Steve
its not that bad....as said, i mounted the hacker a30 12xl ( v2 ) and it doesnt look so bad. the prop adapter is mainly in the air.
your list of the motors is good.
think i would take the motorfly too.
havent finished the build, will do it tomorrow and if weather is flyable i ll fly it as well
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
its not that bad....as said, i mounted the hacker a30 12xl ( v2 ) and it doesnt look so bad. the prop adapter is mainly in the air.
your list of the motors is good.
It's only an aesthetic issue i agree, it wont impact the way it flies but if the spinner gap was any more than a couple of mm it would bother me big time. I'd just not be happy. It just seems a rather stupid oversight especially when HK claim to have had prototypes for evaluation and had changes made.

I'm still seriously thinking of getting one but shortening the motor box to take a Scorpion S3020 that i have spare.. I'd need to take 12mm (1/2") off the box.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
thats right, it looks a bit ugly.

yeah, cutting the box would do the job!!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Guys, I plane to mount the Motrofly 2820-750 in mine.
Initial fit looks great with no more than 2mm gap to the spinner.
Mind you this is not a 3548 size but should have more than enough power on 14x7 Vox with 60A esc on 4s.

Long leng.... the quality so far looks as good as any of the other two EF or 3dhs to be honest.
I would have liked to have some carbon or G10 in the landing gear mount area to stiffen things a little, but doesn't really matter.

I've added some carbon strips (0.5 x 3mm) to those areas to add some stiffness to the formers plus a couple of 2mm carbon rids a bit further back to run across the fuse like the EF planes get.

I did also notice that the canopy has little G10 type tabs at the aft corners like the EF planes do for protection from dropping, nice little touch.

Just finishing up CA flooding to the formers, and motor box areas before I begin bolting it together.

I am gonna run a HS85MG in the elevator, so I have a bit of wood work to do next to open up that hole area.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:29 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Guys, I plane to mount the Motrofly 2820-750 in mine.
Initial fit looks great with no more than 2mm gap to the spinner.
Mind you this is not a 3548 size but should have more than enough power on 14x7 Vox with 60A esc on 4s.

Long leng.... the quality so far looks as good as any of the other two EF or 3dhs to be honest.
I would have liked to have some carbon or G10 in the landing gear mount area to stiffen things a little, but doesn't really matter.

I've added some carbon strips (0.5 x 3mm) to those areas to add some stiffness to the formers plus a couple of 2mm carbon rids a bit further back to run across the fuse like the EF planes get.

I did also notice that the canopy has little G10 type tabs at the aft corners like the EF planes do for protection from dropping, nice little touch.

Just finishing up CA flooding to the formers, and motor box areas before I begin bolting it together.

I am gonna run a HS85MG in the elevator, so I have a bit of wood work to do next to open up that hole area.
great report.
any pics about the reenforcements?
what servo do you use for rudder? take care, if its too deep, it will come out of the other side of the fuse
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,720 Posts
Looks nice Roger. I would suggest adding some vertical supports from the the top of the aft side of the LG plate up to the battery tray, as that will be the area that will want to twist up on hard impact...

Oh, Also, it looks like there is a LOT of daylight in the fuse walls where the wings attach? Am I seeing correctly? That looks very fragile if I am seeing correctly?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Like the addition to the landing gear mounting plate supports. Should have done that to my first balsa edge 540. Bought that from oz company dolphinco. Same one that was sold in the US and UK under the cermark and overlander brands at one stage. Had many landings with it left stock for a long time (including some hard bounces). It finally gave up on me 2 weeks ago after a light landing. Damage is fixable but the hassle of fixing it is the thing. The moral of the story for me is that I should beef up that area if planning on playing around with an untested/unfamiliar brand.
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Last edited by xzuberance; Feb 19, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:17 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Dead,
yes well spotted there is a lot of daylight in the wing attachment area.

It is designed like that, the wings insert into the fuse and butt up against a ply insert that runs the full length of the wing attachment area. Really does look and feel strong.

Other makers, 3dhs, PA and EF butt attach the wings and rely on the thumb screw and anti rotation pins to hold the wings in place.

These wings fit very snuggly inside the hollowed out area and up against the ply section of the fuse.

There really is a lot of ply in this fuse. Dean was right previously when he stated they were very solid.

My little beef up carbon inserts were just in case, so far there is no fuse flex during assembly.

My EF edge on the other hand by this stage I had cracked the fuse balsa half a dozen times putting everything in.

The landing gear area has double ply formers in front and back and plenty of support.

I'll add a couple of extra carbon strips in the vertical runs for support in that direction.

Probably not a big issue whilst I run the Al legs. Carbon legs will mean extra support required to take the shocks.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I'm interested. However, over at the other thread, there is a post stating that HK will not made more of this plane after the first production run. Is this true?
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:46 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,693 Posts
The orange color scheme will not be used again. The plane will continue in production.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin