HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:30 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
What a coincidence. I was just moving on the forum to ask why my Spektrum DS821 servos jitter like crazy when hooked up to the RVOSD. Must be the same issue as discussed above?

When I plug an old pair of analogue servos in they are as smooth as silk.

Is there any way to correct this? A friend of mine using Eagle Tree said it has an option to change the servo timing to 1500 in the software, and this cured his problem using the same servos. I don't think the RVOSD has this option right? I haven't seen it anyway.

Has anyone else been able to resolve this issue? Thanks a lot guys.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
That GPS connectors sucks. Especcialy when they are exposed to sun. When I was purchasing new RVOSD (v5.1) I already took one spare GPS cable because of known issues from the past. You should consider changing the connectors to something a little bigger, but much more reliable :-)
Mine has the disconnection problem too, but the new cables Range Video sell are only $2, so I'm happy with that! I have one on the way as we speak. Plus it only started doing it after 3 years of service and being pulled and pushed about in various planes. Can't complain.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,246 Posts
Can someone please explain how the waypoint sequencer works? Maybe someone else besides Alex since I have been asking him too many questions and he needs to work on his Queen Bee.

The manual says that you set one waypoint number in the menu, and the autopilot will fly to all waypoints sequentially up to that number, then RTH.
- So how do I select the AP to fly to a single waypoint, say #10?
- Can I set the AP to fly to a waypoint and loiter, or will it always sequence to the next one?
- The manual sounds like you can only set the lat/long, altitude & speed in the menu for the last "selected" waypoint. What about setting altitudes for the other waypoints that will be flown before reaching the "selected" waypoint?
- Can I bring up the waypoints to view on the screen if I am in FBW mode so I can use them for situational awareness, like a moving map.

Thank you for your time.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:38 PM
Norway, Troms, Skjervoy
Joined Jul 2012
743 Posts
hi again. the servo test did not show the problem. tryed different escs also. and the problem still is there. the motor is cutting from 50 % and up. tryed setting endpoints and running the wizard. any ideas folks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
Some digital servos works pretty bad with RVOSD. I met the same problem with INO-LAB HG-D202MG - they jittered as hell. I analyzed the problem on scope and I found that RVOSD output on PWM line is 5Vp-p, but those servos needs lower voltage, they works well on 3.8Vp-p.

This may be also the problem of your ESC - try to connect good and working servo instead of ESC and try what it will do when moving the throttle stick all the way. This is how you can easily find out if the problem is in RVOSD or in your ESC...
bjornthans is online now Find More Posts by bjornthans
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: i simply love the ET vector
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:44 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
- Can I bring up the waypoints to view on the screen if I am in FBW mode so I can use them for situational awareness, like a moving map.
I can try to answer one of your question

Yes, you can bring up a map/overview of the next 5 waypoints, as I remember. Where the center of the map is your plane, and the dots around is the next 5 waypoints.

- Kim -
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Funny I cam on to ask a WP questionbut i might have some answers too.

The manual says that you set one waypoint number in the menu, and the autopilot will fly to all waypoints sequentially up to that number, then RTH.
- So how do I select the AP to fly to a single waypoint, say #10?
Only enter 1 wp then switch to PH
- Can I set the AP to fly to a waypoint and loiter, or will it always sequence to the next one? No, Yes
- The manual sounds like you can only set the lat/long, altitude & speed in the menu for the last "selected" waypoint. What about setting altitudes for the other waypoints that will be flown before reaching the "selected" waypoint? Set each altitude while that WP is displayed. Be sure to save if you power cycle or WP's will be lost. The sequencer is the easiest method to set WP's
- Can I bring up the waypoints to view on the screen if I am in FBW mode so I can use them for situational awareness, like a moving map. I think the radar map shows that but i need to confirm that.

Thank you for your time.[/QUOTE]

My Q- If you disengage WP in the middle of a sequence will it start over at #1 ?
If so, you could switch in and out to make it loiter.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Last edited by picard10th; Sep 08, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:01 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
I can try to answer one of your question

Yes, you can bring up a map/overview of the next 5 waypoints, as I remember. Where the center of the map is your plane, and the dots around is the next 5 waypoints.

- Kim -
What do you mean by, "the next 5"?
Is that based on location, or sequence number? If you have "next waypoint" set as #10, will it display #10-15, or #5-10, or will it simply display the 5 closest (this would be the most useful).
Thanks
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
About waypoint sequencer, RVOSD will display the next 5 waypoints to do So if it is trying to reach waypoint 2, will display 2-3-4-5-6:
Waypoint sequencer (6 min 54 sec)
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Also this one:
RVOSD navigating multiple waypoints (14 min 43 sec)
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
If you disengage WP in the middle of a sequence will it start over at #1 ?
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:28 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
About waypoint sequencer, RVOSD will display the next 5 waypoints to do So if it is trying to reach waypoint 2, will display 2-3-4-5-6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3FFGO8it0g
Let me know if i understand this right...
So if I havent used the waypoint sequencer yet, it will show waypoints 1-5.
There is no way to show waypoint 6 unless I let the autopilot fly to waypoint 1 first. The only way to fly to waypoint 6, is to fly the whole route 1-5 first, and I can't stop and loiter at waypoint 5, it will move on to 6. If it moves on to 6, I would have to turn off the waypoint sequencer and re-engage it, which would cause the autopilot to fly back to 1 and start all over again.
So the only real way to have it fly directly to a waypoint any time you want is to have that waypoint be 1, and set Last Waypoint to 1.
Last edited by iskess; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:48 AM
------------
Wielka Brytania, Anglia, Derbyshire
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Be aware that if you have problems with gps in flight and your rvosd will go into rth mode you will lose your plane... It happened to me!
Alex how it's possible that it will allow rth mode without gps lock!?. Lost $800 because of that crap!
jsxx is offline Find More Posts by jsxx
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:28 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
+1: I wrote this several times - without GPS lock the plane should never allow to turn on autopilot with throttle on - I would suggest slow stabilized descent in circles...
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsxx View Post
Be aware that if you have problems with gps in flight and your rvosd will go into rth mode you will lose your plane... It happened to me!
Alex how it's possible that it will allow rth mode without gps lock!?. Lost $800 because of that crap!
Because you could want to test your RTH mode even if GPS is not locked, and even on ground. Making sure throttle engages at correct levels, control surfaces moves properly etc...
If you don't want to lose your airplane when there is no GPS lock, you have several options:
1- Check what it is interfering with your GPS on ground, fix that.
2- Increase Mx HDOP allowed so lock can be set with more relaxed conditions.
3- Do not push the limits of your RC link.
4- Disable RTH on the OSD(set it to failsafe)

There is no magic here, still if you choose to fly to the edge of RC link you will lose your airplane.
Last edited by Elcheapo; Sep 09, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
I don't understand. If you didn't have RVOSD and lost radio control, how would the result be different?
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre