SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2014, 07:09 AM
It's never done that before...
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Build Log
Baby ace

Now that the T- craft is finished, I am on to the next project. After narrowing down the list to two airplanes, the Zenith CH750 and the baby ace, I landed on the baby ace. Being a very popular homebuilt, and with many of the people I fly with having built and owned real ones, I figured it would be well liked and I could get building advice.
I have found a nice set of 1/4 scale plans online that I printed out on 8.5x11 printer paper. I plan to have them blown up 280% at a fedex store. This should give the ace a wingspan of about 70 inches, all I can house in my small shop.
The plan is to keep the ace light and power it with a 1200kv motor with a 20 amp esc.
Hopefully the plans will be blown up Friday or Saturday. I'll stock up on materials and begin the build as soon as possible!
Rclover23549 is online now Find More Posts by Rclover23549
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2014, 07:37 AM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
wing plans

After reviewing the plans some more, I realized that the wing ribs are not the same size on the fuse plans and the wing plans. This will cause problems when the plans are blown up. After a bit of head scratching, I noticed that on the fuse plans there is a head-on view which shows the proper rib spacing on the wing. So, i will have to build the wing without plans to build over, but that shouldn't be too big a deal.

Onward with the build!!!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 08:42 AM
Joined Mar 2014
163 Posts
Wow, I am really excited for this build since I just finished building a real baby ace a few months ago, have fun
JakeL17 is offline Find More Posts by JakeL17
Old Sep 19, 2014, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Final Pre build prep

Alright! Almost ready to start the build! My GP Taylorcraft is almost done, the cowling and Struts are painted and drying which is the last step before it is ready to fly, so I moved all the scraps to the trash can and cleared out space to begin the Baby Ace.

I plan to start on the tail feathers. The bows will be 1/8 inch strips bent around a foam core to give them their shapes. After that, I will move to the fuse, the frame will be from 1/8 and 1/4 inch stock. The turtle deck formers will be from lite ply with 1/8 (can you tell what my favorite stock size is? ) stringers. After this I will move on to the wings, which will have the ribs from lite ply with lightening holes similar to the full size with 1/4 hardwood spars.

I prefer to frame up all the main parts first so can size up and visualize how everything goes together, then go back and do the small parts inside the structures (shear webs, instrument panels, scale touches, etc.).

Getting really excited now!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 04:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Let the build begin!

The build is off! I returned after going to our local EAA meeting today with 280% plans, 6 strips of 1/8 stock, and some 1/8 by 1/8 stock.

I put the Tcraft out on the piano to make room and got to work. The tail was built first. To curve the curvy parts, I bent the strips while submerging them in boiling water. This allowed me to quickly and safely bend the strips to the right shape. Then I pinned them to the plans, and started gluing the rest of the pieces on. They turned out quite nicely I think, and I will use this method in the future.

The fuselage was build next by building each side, then cutting the firewall from 1/16 ply. I glued the front of the two sides to the firewall, than glued the tail together. After this dried, I went about placing the cross bracing in the bottom of the fuselage. This gave me quite a hard time. The glue joints continually came undone all across the fuselage. I finally got fed up, clamped or taped everything in place, and epoxied all the joints. After the epoxy was on, I donned a pair of rubber gloves and smoothed all the joints with my finger. The epoxy is drying as I type this.
Once everything is thoroughly dry, I will add the turtle deck formers. I am almost out of stringers, so this will probably be as far as I get for a little while.

On another front, the weather here looks good tomorrow so I plan to maiden the Tcraft, which I put the finishing touches on last night!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
A little more work

After letting the Epoxy dry for a few hours, I went back to build the turtle deck and finish the cross bracing in the fuse. I glued the remaining braces in, and realized that the fuse was twisted! To fix this, I glued a square piece of sheet between the rear fuse former, which straightened it and the rest of the fuse..... One (unforseen) job down.

To build the turtle deck, I cut the formers from the plane, and traced them onto the lite ply. Then, I moved to the jigsaw, and after nearly an hour, I had all the formers cut out. After this, I marked their location on the fuse, and glued them.

This is all I can do today, because I am all out of wood!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:03 PM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
the cowling and Struts are painted and drying which is the last step before it is ready to fly, so I moved all the scraps to the trash can and cleared out space to begin the Baby Ace.
vhonworkull is offline Find More Posts by vhonworkull
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhonworkull View Post
the cowling and Struts are painted and drying which is the last step before it is ready to fly, so I moved all the scraps to the trash can and cleared out space to begin the Baby Ace.
Anyone else a little confused by this?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:40 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclover23549 View Post
Anyone else a little confused by this?
"Raises Hand" ?????

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Sep 21, 2014, 06:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Didn't get anything done on the ace today, but I just maidened the Tcraft! Flies great!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:39 AM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Alright, after school (and a shorter practice that usual ) I plan to go to the Hobby shop to pick up more material for the ace. The goal for today is to get the turtle deck done, finish up the front (former's and sheeting) and maybe figure out the landing gear.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 05:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Go the turtledeck done, and the instrument panel is on and drying. The tape is to hold it in position while the glue dries on the supports . Plan to get the gear done later tonight.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
I just noticed that my ace and the EAA/Mechanics illustrated ace are both C models. It would sure be cool to replicate that scheme! I realize that its very early to start thinking about covering, but if anyone has tips on how to replicate the small letting which is abundant on that plane, please let me know!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:59 PM
Joined Mar 2014
163 Posts
Hey, I worked on the replica that was finished earlier this year, I can get really detailed photos of it if you want.
I would feel so great if you reproduced it
JakeL17 is offline Find More Posts by JakeL17
Old Sep 24, 2014, 01:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeL17 View Post
Hey, I worked on the replica that was finished earlier this year, I can get really detailed photos of it if you want.
I would feel so great if you reproduced it
I'd really like to do that scheme so photos would be helpful! Thanks!