HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:52 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Question
Micro Vapor repair

Well, I pulled a bonehead mistake on my MV. I, accidentally, sat something on top of the MV and broke the post that holds the rear of the wing mount. What would be the best way to repair it. I checked HH website and a new fuse costs $22 plus shipping so that's is not an option. Would I be better off using the brick in another aircraft? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Frank
Frank Hurd is online now Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:08 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Jun 2010
102 Posts
I broke the landing gear off mine, by doing touch and goes and snagging it on something. It would have been fine till I went to pick it up and something snapped. It flew great without the gear on it and even went faster and did almost fly inverted! Then I glued the wheels back on (they broke again) so then I tried a very small bit of epoxy and I think the added weight has really made the plane a brick to fly now
I'd just try some CA or other glue and hope for the best otherwise if you add too much weight with the glue it'll be too much for the little motor.
Jessica
78_elky is offline Find More Posts by 78_elky
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:56 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,205 Posts
Before applying CA try binding the broken parts with sewing thread.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:50 AM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Thank you!

Yes, I wouldn't use epoxy because of the weight but the sewing thread sounds good!
Frank
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:44 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,567 Posts
I have the big Vapor and have several splints of cf rod wrapped in kevlar thread (Spyderwire fish'n line) and CA. Still go'n strong. Check out my recent post on "VAPOR FUN"......

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Styrene tube from the hobby shop works great for butt splices for broken carbon fiber (if the break is in the CF and not the plastic)

with Black paint:

Also, if posible, use a rubber cement, like UHU por for these type of repairs. CA will make the CF very brittle.

probably about .1g of plastic will repair the damage if its in the CF.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:11 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,205 Posts
A flexible cement is a good idea. I favor so-called canopy glue, which is available in several brands. The stuff has a very good grip on most plastics. Combine that with the thread idea by applying a little glue to the broken parts, then wrapping with thread, so the glue penetrates the thread fibers.

And the styrene tube idea is GREAT! Also, if you are scratch-building with CF rods, the styrene tubes can make good control surface hinge bearings.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:56 AM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Great tips

Thanks for all of the replies. This is some good stuff!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:38 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
Another option

If you broke the rod off at the connector music wire thread and CA will work. Try to match outside shape with wire(both sides), lightly CA it in place then wrap with thread and soak it in CA.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv