HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2003, 06:23 AM
Joined Nov 2002
54 Posts
3D ScreenShots Gallery from PRE-Flight RC Sim

Greetings!

Instead of the old, boring, flat pictures, have a look at this gallery of realistic 3D screenshots using the "cross-eyed" method or "cross-viewing". The effect is quite startling (mind the rotor blade) as objects seem to leap out of the screen. No special hardware required.

Look at :

www.preflightsim.com

Note: PRE-Flight RC Flight Simulator is freeware and downloadable from the above site.

Regards,

Jose
pingprime is offline Find More Posts by pingprime
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2003, 09:08 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
It's not free. It's a restricted* demo for the "full" version which costs around 44 US Dollars.

Given that it's a 15MB download, I think that you should make that clear...

*i.e. the author has explicitly restricted the joystick functionality, rather than it being restricted though genuine need for extra hardware.
Mr Rowl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:24 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
100 Posts
I just went to the web site and it is freeware now. There's not a free restricted and a full version. Looks like they make their money off selling the interfaces for it.
BillK is offline Find More Posts by BillK
Old Dec 27, 2003, 12:03 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
It is restricted - if you try and use the 3rd axis (or above) of a joystick you get a dialog box saying:

"This version of PRE-Flight does not support joystick channels above 2. Please purchase [etc] if you wish to use 3 to 8 channel joysticks [etc]"

There isn't any software/technical reason for this - it's done purely to get you to buy it. It cripples the helicopters, and severly limits fixed wing aircraft.

I've got no problem with that, but it should be called a demo of a commercial product, rather than "freeware". I don't like it putting itself in the same camp as the other genuinely free sims.
Mr Rowl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Rowl