HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:04 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Not too much today, either, but some work was done on the head that was not initially thought needed because of the impossible task of removing the spindles. They are REALLY well LocTited in. I was asked if I had checked the thrust bearings and I had not so today was as good as any other day to do so. Naturally, one had all the LocTite of the entire head used on it and there was none on the others, yet they were tightened by a gorilla. I nearly had to destroy the grip with a torch to get the screw to move but persistance paid off. Four of the five were assembled backwards and only one had grease on it, again, the entire grease for the five. Sheesh. I also set the "Zero" and checked total positive and negative pitch. Along with that, I also set the total collective movement to about 8 degrees. The only visible thing done was to remove the screws from the landing light housing, fill 7 in and redrill 4. The "369D" model only has five scews holding on the cover and it is a glaring error to be sure. I have just put the filler in and after midnight, it will be set enough to trim and tomorrow, dried enough to sand and paint. Yah, something to do tomorrow. Take care.

Don

Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Last edited by Keyrigger; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:23 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Another small update. I got on order ten packages of Blade heli screws to mount the canopy and rear windows. It will take 222 of the little beggers to do the job, not including about 40 that will be used for decoration only. I got the finishing touches done on the landing light and finished off the UHF (VHF?) antenna under the Weapons Officer. The paint is not an exact match but makes a good base for the matching paint that is only available as spray. Take care.

Don

Those are really tiny screws that are in the base. They kind of work but CA does the real holding
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:44 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Absolutely superb, amazing attention to detail.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:28 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Thank you. This has been a good learning experience unlike any scale building I have done in the past. Of course, as you start to look at things more closely, you find, like I did, that there are small niggles that just get under your skin and won't let up until you do something about it. The positioning of the two screws below the top screw were just that little niggle. I filled in the holes and repositioned them, again. I still need to finsh sand the ring again but this time, I am a lot happier with their look. Nobody would give it a second glance but deep down, I knew that it could be improved. Isn't this why artists loose their minds more often than most people? LoL. Take care.

Don

Last edited by Keyrigger; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:14 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Another small detail added today. I think this is a step/handhold for servicing and inspections but it is only on the pilots (right) side of the doghouse. The hole is in a fairly accurate spot but the model's boom comes way too far forward to be spot on scale. Oh well, I've got a few more detail panels planned and may get the ones for the TOW firing wire harness done this weekend. Now I wished I had that nice little Unimat lathe I had years ago. I'm going to have to turn back the hands of time and use the old standby drill turning to make the connectors, lol. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:58 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Today's additions took a LOT longer than I had thought it would. I think I was at it for about 5 hours and today was another 6. Sigh. Making these little bits to add to the overall look has turned out to be a lot more than I had ever planned it to take. The final heli will look pretty much like it is supposed to. I now need to find the smallest cable ties they make and I have one to go by. I think it was from a lighting kit but I can't remember now. Here it what it turned out to be.

Don

Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:57 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
I know some of you are going to say "He's lost his mind, what's left of it" but something has been sitting in my craw and has been nagging at me from the moment I discovered the very large mistake in the cockpit measurements. Most were based on having the battery under the seat (it still is but way lower) and having enough room above it to let the cockpit be installed over it. I just cut 3/4" in total height off the bench and now it finally looks like it should have in the first place. The final nail in the coffin was finding a great reference on the 500C model (OH-6 military) and in there was a definiative placement of the seat and the bench, which for some reason, was not clear to me when I first started the measurements. Oh well, you'll be hard pressed to find a reason for this not to have been done, as now both pilots have ample room to have their heads placed where ever I would like. I may also rebuild the seat back to be higher but that can wait until another day. All this was done today and tonight. I'm mad................

Don

Part of the wood removed.

Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:51 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Holy smokes, over 4000 views. Wow. Today, like any other day waiting for parts to arrive, I made my own interior detailing (and I might tackle the raw instrument panel later this week) to add something to the insides. A lot of great helis fall short with detailing yet they have full cockpits and even opening doors. I will admit that finding detail shots that you need are sometimes hard to locate unless you have direct access to the subject you are modeling. Hey, I finally got to try some Squadron Products Green Putty after reading hundreds of articles in past plastic modeling magazines. It works just as they all said it did.

I wanted to give the appearance of a complete cockpit with as little weight as possible. Foam board to the rescue here, I also wanted to create the door frames as they are (to make them fully real and working, a second .050" strip needs to be added to create the full jamb and I am not likely to want to add the doors as the open doors are part of the ventilation system. I had seen handles in OH-6's but I never noticed them in the 500MD. Sure enought, they are there but since the pictures are of a black interior, they blended in. Now I really need those panels as this is getting me jumpy for getting it finished. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:44 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Yesterday, I did some fabricating of parts for later install. I thought it would be a while before I got the heli down on the bench for some fitting but it happened sooner than later. I don't fancy making these parts from flat metal but if I find some aluminium tube that matches the OD of the skids and is at least .040" wall thickness, I will make them up at the drop of a hat. I need to keep my eyes open when in electrical and metal shops. The gear steps got moved to the right location but I noticed later that the shape was more modern than it should have been. I may shorten them a bit too, as most I have seen on TD's have been 3/4 of the regular length. That is a simple change before I get the skids painted. I have the abrasion pads pre-drilled to locate the holds in the skids for the screws that will finish off the look. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:52 PM
Chris Reibert #78
Joined Dec 2008
440 Posts
In-cred-ible!!!
Detail is Amazing!
crmodels is offline Find More Posts by crmodels
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:35 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Thanks. I'm really not sure how far I will go with the external detailing. Unless I get an airbrush and another set of decals, rivet detail is out. I will add panels where I can and any antennae where possible. I may change the single rear antenna wire to a dual but that needs the boom mount for it to be built and installed over top of the existing unit. There are many pictures of both single and dual antennae so both are right. I did get the TOW launcher wires secured and the abrasion plates screwed onto the skids. I kept on having to remind myself that there are wires inside those skid pipes as I drilled the holes, lol. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
Sometimes a great day can begin with a single picture from a post that you were not expecting to see. So it went with a picture posted by one poster in a thread where the fellow was building a heli with the exact same seats as I have in mine. I have not found one single picture, in all the ones I have downloaded for reference, that showed the back of the seat and how it bows out to the side once you are below the top "wing" of the seat back. There it was, plain as day. Here are the results which were better than the originals by a long shot. It seems you get things much better the second time around, something like my seat bench. Take care.

Don

Last edited by Keyrigger; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:44 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
The backs are now in with the crew screwed back in. I think this may be some of the last interior building that will be done before the instrument panels get in. I did, however, find some Hughes/MD manuals that could provide enough acccurate information for me to try and build my own main "T" panel. The hardest two measurements are the height above the floor and the width. The rest is fairly easy once those two are found out. I'm working on it. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:21 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
I took time out yesterday and had a different pace for the day. That didn't stop me from getting more together for this heli. I dropped into one of the LHS's and got some instant liquid plastic cement as waiting for Tamiya or LePages model cement is just too long for this task and some needed the bond to be done fast as it was for curved surfaces. I still could have used more types of structural plastic but I made do. this is only a partial panel as the face will not be done for a while yet. I used a repair manual for the instruments and wiring to find out what I needed to build for the actual "T" panel. As I found out quickly, the Israeli's used their own system so their panel mount is slightly different from the one I have patterned it after. Next is getting out the crew and seeing how it fits. My patterns tell me that it only needs the wire mouse hole and the clearance for the rudder control rod to be put in and that does not even need the cockpit for that. This will keep me busy for a long while. I can't even begin to start the sight as there are no pictures of the complete sight in operational condition, sigh. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:32 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,466 Posts
I got a bit more work done on the panel. I cleaned up a lot of the glue joints and tackled the hood. The open area on the rear of the panel will be filled with a mounting plate where relays and other electrical components are found. There is still some work on the hood but I am going to get some primer to make the filler stick a bit easier. The panel has still not been put in the cockpit yet, lol. Maybe tomorrow. Take care.

Don