HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:31 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Did a bit of flying with the latest version of the xGimbal yesterday and cut a few pieces together to see how they would stabilize on YouTube, there is a link in the youtube description to download the unstabilized video.
This was shot 1080p 60fps, so naturally the stabilized version is best in 720p
I really was pretty happy with the unstabilized result, but wanted to see if it would smooth nicely, it did. parts of this would drop nicely and inoffensively into a video project. thats exactly what I had hoped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnysMPINqEc

*** There is a link in the youtube description to download the unstabilized video.

Keep up the good work BO... Let us know when there ready for sale.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:11 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Clean FPV install

There's no need to hack up the Phantom to install the Fat Shark FPV as seen in a previous video.
DJI PHANTOM WITH FUTABA T8J RADIO AND FATSHARK 600MW FPV ALL INSIDE! (1 min 24 sec)


The Transmitter can be mounted and hard wired easily inside so it will power up as soon as the battery is plugged in.

The antenna shell can be removed to allow the coax to exit out an existing sealed hole. I will be extending it down the leg when my cable adapter shows up.

I mounted the camera to a GoPro mount by removing the back of the camera cover and installing the GoPro bolt out the back. I had to shave the head of the bolt down to just a washer thickness to clear the camera pcb.

No JB Weld, no additional holes, no velcro. When my $3.00 GoPro 3 video cable arrives that will be the camera of choice so fo now it's the very cheap Fat Shark camera.



HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Last edited by HGT; Jan 20, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Can I ask where you ordered the GoPro 3 cable for $3 ?
dabe1971 is offline Find More Posts by dabe1971
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Tips for getting rid of "Jello"

Hey guys. I just put together a short video with a few ways to get rid of jello with the Phantom. Hope it helps!

DJI Phantom - How to Eliminate Jello - DJIguy (3 min 13 sec)
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:47 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabe1971 View Post
Can I ask where you ordered the GoPro 3 cable for $3 ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:US:3160

No audio but all I was looking for was video out and a way to power the GoPro to save weight and run it off the Phantom LiPo.
Sure beats hacking up the $60.00 GoPro cable
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
Hi All,

Today I maxed out the range on my Phantom in altitude. I am assuming this as it went into 'go home' mode and landed itself.

I read that the maximum range is 300M, which is pretty high.

I could still see the aircraft so I don't believe it was that high.

Is 300M regarded as the maximum safe range for an RC aircraft?

Do FPV flyers use increased range tx and rx units?
richardtheboffin is offline Find More Posts by richardtheboffin
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:07 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Sure beats hacking up the $60.00 GoPro cable
Certainly does ! Now to look into a good deal on the rest of the FPV gear ! Thanks.
dabe1971 is offline Find More Posts by dabe1971
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:07 PM
Registered User
rudeboy78's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
I would be concerned about the heat of the Vtx when mounted inside the case, these things do get quite hot and are best mounted outside so they can be cooled, certainly something to keep an eye on!!!
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:14 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtheboffin View Post
Hi All,

Today I maxed out the range on my Phantom in altitude. I am assuming this as it went into 'go home' mode and landed itself.

I read that the maximum range is 300M, which is pretty high.

I could still see the aircraft so I don't believe it was that high.

Is 300M regarded as the maximum safe range for an RC aircraft?

Do FPV flyers use increased range tx and rx units?
300 meters is more of a horizontal limit. With the 3dB antenna the beamwidth is more of a doughnut shape then a ball that an isotropic 1dB antenna would give you so your vertical is only about 100 meters as I also found out. This was before prop or motor balancing and the video out of the box with the GoPro water proof housing isn't too bad.

DJI Phantom Failsafe (4 min 22 sec)
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:18 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy78 View Post
I would be concerned about the heat of the Vtx when mounted inside the case, these things do get quite hot and are best mounted outside so they can be cooled, certainly something to keep an eye on!!!
I have just the 250mW unit and it does get warm but went through 3 batteries today without issues. The housing has a lot of openings for cooling of the ESC's. I have seen the 600mW transmitters completely packed away in foam planes without issues. Working on a ground station now with some high power equipment from my antenna business. My extra receivers should be here Tuesday so I can switch to my 10CH tx.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
300 meters is more of a horizontal limit. With the 3dB antenna the beamwidth is more of a doughnut shape then a ball that an isotropic 1dB antenna would give you so your vertical is only about 100 meters as I also found out. This was before prop or motor balancing and the video out of the box with the GoPro water proof housing isn't too bad.

http://youtu.be/PDW60cFVpsM
So is there an antenna upgrade to allow a little more altitude?
richardtheboffin is offline Find More Posts by richardtheboffin
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:35 PM
Registered User
rudeboy78's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
I have just the 250mW unit and it does get warm but went through 3 batteries today without issues. The housing has a lot of openings for cooling of the ESC's. I have seen the 600mW transmitters completely packed away in foam planes without issues. Working on a ground station now with some high power equipment from my antenna business. My extra receivers should be here Tuesday so I can switch to my 10CH tx.

cool man keep us posted, I've also started on a GS but more for my discovery, my new rx should arrive tomorrow so will get that fitted so can start pushing the range of the phantom!!!
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:57 PM
Registered User
Mrtarango32's Avatar
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Oct 2012
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:US:3160

No audio but all I was looking for was video out and a way to power the GoPro to save weight and run it off the Phantom LiPo.
Sure beats hacking up the $60.00 GoPro cable
Sure this will work on the gopro 3?
Mrtarango32 is online now Find More Posts by Mrtarango32
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:06 PM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIguy View Post
Hey guys. I just put together a short video with a few ways to get rid of jello with the Phantom. Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azT-ITXYfNw
Cool vid!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:56 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtarango32 View Post
Sure this will work on the gopro 3?
Why wouldn't it... Mini USB type b has a industry standard pin-out. It is using just 3 of the 5 pins. Ground, 5v and video out. Audio left and right isn't used.

With that said, it is coming from Hong Kong which is why I only ordered one.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Quadcopter Frame BUILD Thread Quad_Addict Multirotor Talk 78 Mar 17, 2014 10:20 PM
Mini-HowTo POSTING VIDEO: How to Upgrade a Gaui 330x quadcopter with a DJI NAZA Lucidity47 Multirotor Talk 5 Jun 07, 2012 12:31 AM
Video Multiwii Quadcopter Dji F-450 frame Updated Video Anda Inc. Electric Heli Talk 1 May 23, 2012 02:51 PM
Discussion DJI S800 Spreading Wings has landed at Quadcopters UK Headquarters QuadcoptersUk Multirotor Talk 8 May 14, 2012 01:27 PM