SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
Siv
Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain
Joined Jan 2006
183 Posts
Discussion
Using an 2.4GHz Air radio on Land/Surface

Back in the old days, there was a clear divide on 27MHz for land/general and 35MHz for air (in the UK) and it was a big no-no to use an air radio on land. Now that everything is 2.4Ghz, is this still taboo?

The reason I ask is that I have a JR X9303 DSM 9 set that I use for a heli/gliders and I want to flirt with a boat but don't want to buy a new radio unless I really have to.

And it it's all the same frequency now, why are their air/surface differentiators on Rxs etc?
Siv is online now Find More Posts by Siv
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:00 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,142 Posts
You can but be careful with boats, some receivers don't like the reflection of the water too much.

For example spektrum make a marine receiver with longer wiskers. But yet Tactic receivers have NO antenna wiskers.

Many are now using Air radios for surface use, over in the DX10T thread some have post info or posted about using it for steam boat, excavator and other things as well.

I just personally don't like to use them since I am so used to having a pistol radio in hand.

But I have done it before and why I know what I prefer.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:08 AM
Siv
Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain
Joined Jan 2006
183 Posts
That's good to know. I've never used a pistol grip radio so sticks is the only way to go for me!
Siv is online now Find More Posts by Siv
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:26 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,142 Posts
And that is what counts.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Nov 2004
178 Posts
I use stick radios on my racing boats. Most 2.4 stick radios work well on water but there has been a few lessons learned along the way. FHSS (freq hopping)seems to work best. Spreading on a channel seems to NOT work. The old DSM and DSM2 is iffy at best. Spektrum pistols have not had the best record in high powered boats. Spektrum chose not to put DSMX in the pistols yet. Even the cheap Chinese FHSS radios seem to work good. Don't have much feedback on DSMX sticks on water. Futaba FAAST seems to be very, very reliable on water and is now considered the GOLD standard. Airtronics RD8000 work well and are what I use. Some of the early Airtronics pistols couldn't be depended on. The current batch work good.
Rudy F is offline Find More Posts by Rudy F
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,205 Posts
DSM Marine works great - I use it in my racing boats.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,142 Posts
Want to race?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:18 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,122 Posts
I'm using Jeti Duplex in two boats - works fine, just make sure you keep the antennae as far above the waterline as possible.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling