SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,487 Posts
Discussion
RC club? No thanks

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this post, so I'll put it here in Foamies, as I'm probably not the only one on this path.

After seeing the Multiplex TwinStar 2 on youtube, I purchased a kit on the net 6 months ago and have flown it and my 3 later additions singlehanded in fields, parks, over frozen lakes and on the seaside. Learning a lot from this site, I have managed to get all the models airborne pretty easily and without major incidents.

Being on my fith model now, I have felt a need to share my new passion with someone, and last Sunday, I visited a local club to say hello and check out if I'd join it. But, I was very disappointed.

I was greeted by a "Are you out of your f* mind trying to fly outside an organized club?", "Without an instructor it can't be done", "You have no insurance and will end up in hell" attitude. A couple of the guys were more open and positive, but I instanty lost any interest in joining the crowd.

Before visiting the club, I always tried to stay within the regulations and always to pay proper respect to safety, mainly flying in deserted fields or over water, so I can't really say that I feel guilty of commiting any major crimes. My planes are all docile electric flyers that don't make much noise.

So is this a unique experience? Or are we divided into the happy-go-lucky ebay/HK buying solo-flying bunch and the ultra conservative clubbers?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,258 Posts
Your experience sounds about typical. I felt the same way after visiting my local field. I'm sure there are some nice fellows over there, I just didn't meet any of them the couple times I've stopped by. One of the visits was an open house day too, go figure? The local field is also pretty stuck on Nitro power and they dont like electrics. There are plenty of safe open places for me to fly and I joined the AMA Park Flyer membership. It will provide insurance for the outside chance something bad happens. Several guys fly at one of the parks and the park ranger is cool with it too, he stops by to chat and check out the planes when he is present.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I'll toss my 2 cents in here.

Clubs are made up of people, and therefore can be good or bad depending on said people, its hit and miss anywhere you go. That said they were 100% correct about you needing insurance whether you fly as a club member at the field or in your own backyard or local school. AMA membership isnt expensive and in our lawyer happy world nowadays its a no brainer. I would also like to point out that while you may have no problem with accepting all the liability for any damage or injury caused from an accident involving your aircraft, it affects all of us why fly responsibly in the eyes of the non rc folks. Flying sites are dissapearing at a staggering rate due to housing, noise complaints, and uninformed people who think its dangerous. Something to think about, as one bad incident involving a uninsured pilot can very quickly change the mindset of your community and lose the privilege of flying for everyone in your area, legal flying site and all. I hope you dont take this the wrong way, Im not trying to lecture or anything, but if you are going to fly please get yourself an AMA membership, if for no other reason than to protect your fellow modelers and their ability to enjoy this hobby.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,487 Posts
Mendo,

Thanks for your 2 cents. I pretty much with you, which is also why I went to the club in the first place. However, I live in Denmark where things are a bit more relaxed in the liability department. I am considering getting a "union" membership outside the clubs, to get the insurance. Or at least check with my own insurance company if they will provide a special insurance. Some of the companies have done that previously.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Mendo,

Thanks for your 2 cents. I pretty much with you, which is also why I went to the club in the first place. However, I live in Denmark where things are a bit more relaxed in the liability department. I am considering getting a "union" membership outside the clubs, to get the insurance. Or at least check with my own insurance company if they will provide a special insurance. Some of the companies have done that previously.
Mike,

I hadnt noticed you are from Denmark, thats Im sure going to have differences than here in the USA. I would only say that like most folks in a hobby they enjoy, use the tools avaliable ( like the ama here ) to continue your fun in the hobby and have the support it provides if something goes wrong.
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
You can get a rider on your home owners INS thats what I did.
I fly all over town and in the country and have no intrest in flying at a club just not my cup of tea.
I tought myself to fly and yes it can be done plus I dont like some of the silly rules that ama and clubs have.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:57 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
539 Posts
I guess it pretty much boils down to the type of people who fly at any particular club.

Personally I've been very lucky. I pretty much taught myself to fly with small, lightweight (under 120g) foamies in a field close to my house which has a small lane running through it. Like the OP I was very careful to fly sensibly and away from the myriad of walkers that use the lane. After 9 months I've not had one single negative remark from any passer by. In fact quite the contrary.

However, I realised that if I was to progress with my flying I would need somewhere else to fly. So, I joined my local club, and I must say, that it's the best thing I've done.

My club is one of the best appointed in the country (Spain) and has excellent facilities. But, in addition, everyone I've met have been very friendly and extremely helpful. Please note that I'm English and my Spanish isn't particularly good. I undertook the obligatory training sessions and after only a few flights my instructor signed me off as competent enough to fly as a regular member of the club.

I now fly at the club every weekend. While not flying myself I get to watch fully aerobatic 2-3 metre nitro planes being flown in amazing ways along with gliders of 5m + wingspan and a plethora of scale models. A small group of us (a sort of mini club) also fly at another location most weekends too, where the onus is on having relaxed flying fun.

So, for me, joining a club has been great experience. I've learnt a lot, and made some new Spanish friends. Which leads me back to my opening statement.

It all depends upon the type of people that run and belong to the club.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:33 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I don't need no stinking club
I am a one man gang
besides RCG is all the club I need
I fly foamies on open farm fields, what do I need insurance for?
now if I was flying giant models professionally and had no place to fly then ya I could see the need for having to pay premium prices on an AMA card and club membership fees
not to mention I don't like dealing with all the air traffic or the old holier than thou farts at the local RC club field.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:20 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
It is nice to get together with other modelers and see what and how they fly. You can learn a lot by talking with and watching others. This can be at the park where people casually gather or at a club field.

Just like life though some folks are a PITA. At one time I was new at a club in an area outside Washington DC. I was told I needed a spinner on a .25 powered shoulder wing model. This while watching one of the club insiders flying a 50cc gasoline model with, yes, no spinner.

Keep looking and hopefully you'll find other cool guys and girls.
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
I had the same experience as the OP. The old dudes at my local flying field defined the word "crusty". My take is that they looked down on my electric foamy. No one made an effort to welcome me or even say hi. I just got barked at for not standing in exactly the right spot on the flight line.

Hell with that. I can fly at the local park. I dont need that much space. And I agree with the previous poster ... passersby who stop to say hi think the planes are awesome.
ShermanFolks is offline Find More Posts by ShermanFolks
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
My guess it's from old time gas/fuel only guys. Their mind hasn't opened to parkflyers quite yet!!
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
I used to belong to the AMA and a club back in the 90s. While I prefer the true flight experience that a nitro model provides, I am now into foam electrics strictly because of the freedom. I want to be able to go wherever I want and hand launch a model into the sky. Dealing with clubs, rules, and time limits sucks enough to actively avoid it.
Skadar is offline Find More Posts by Skadar
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:13 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
My guess it's from old time gas/fuel only guys. Their mind hasn't opened to parkflyers quite yet!!
I'm an old time nitro/gas, silk and dope guy too, but some people have closed minds to anything other than their wishes. I remember when crusty curmudgeon guys were lamenting the fact that ARF's were going to kill the hobby.
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2007
336 Posts
nothing new....when I got back into R/C after my first layoff (1986) the same attitude held at the local AMA field. the old guys don't like the ARF proliferation as now they don't like the foamy crowd. Shoot, back in the 1970s i remember the old guys fussing about monokote and the satellite city CA glues. the cycle goes on.
circletree is offline Find More Posts by circletree
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
I'm a club member because I like the need for a runway without obstacles (inanimate objects and life-forms). Yes, I originally got the vibe from the old timing club members that " if it aint making a lot of noise, it ain't flying", but I ended up making a lot of new friends and have people to talk to and share interests with instead of kids at the park playing chicken with my landing approaches or dogs chasing my plane, or worrying about the security of my equipment, etc.
I ignore the @-#oles and enjoy my thing, usually with someone else.

I am considering recruiting some folks to come up with our own fuel-free type club. I would like one with solar powered charging, irrigated grass strip for belly-landing, a youth-outreach program and no cranky jerks to ruin it.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind