HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:12 PM
Wirral. U.K
Joined Sep 2005
101 Posts
Wow Matt that would be most generous of you.... I could however paypal you the cost if you like, I have a paypal account.

My email address is: sturaq@tiscali.co.uk

If you'd care to send me an email I'll return you one with my residential address.

I was thinking today about the problem with building to this size and still having reasonable flight performance at lower speeds.
Apart from extending the ailerons has anybody tried any other wing modifications?
I was thinking that i might try and build a few different wings and make them removable to test each one and see how it performs. The three wing types that i have in mind are the standard wing (to test against), a slightly larger wing (perhaps 10-15% or so), and lastly and more interestingly- an undercambered wing. The undercambered wing should provide greater lift for any given speed, as would the larger wing and also some greater stability. Anyone tried this before??
-----Stu----- is offline Find More Posts by -----Stu-----
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2006, 04:09 PM
Wirral. U.K
Joined Sep 2005
101 Posts
Silly me....... I forgot that this was a mid-winger and not a low-winger..... Looks like i'll just have to pick one wing type and see how it goes....
Old Jan 21, 2006, 09:46 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
Hi Stu, I will send you an e-mail.

undercambered wings make for a funny performance when at crusing speed IMHO. I like my models to perform similarly at speed and slow flight. I don't like the nose pitch up thing...
On the other hand, if a guy were trying to set up one of these planes for indoor or slow flight only to keep battery/motor/servo weight to a minimum, than the undercambered wing would really come in handy but stil would have light tip stall issues because this is stil a low wing airframe afterall. With an undercambered wing airplane, you try to set up the power to fly its slowest it can at half throttle and set up full throttle for steep climbouts for getting altitude but never any more power than that or the wing is being forced through the air similar to a displacement hull sailboat trying to plane ontop the water like a speedboat, it just does not like it! If you could see the air around a wing like you can see water around a boats bow, you would see major turbulace issues around an undercambered wing at to high a speed(You can physically see the tail of the plane is high, trying to push the nose down)

Anyway, the Hellcat wing is slid through the fuse so if you wanted to(complications with wires and servos) you could make the wings "plug" into both sides of the fuse. Just an Idea....
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
Wirral. U.K
Joined Sep 2005
101 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting thoughts.... I was literally just about to start to profile the underside of the ribs before making up the wing until i got your email and then read this.... Not sure what i'm going to do now....
I might just try a slightly longer wing
thoughts and decisions..
Regards
Old Jan 21, 2006, 04:48 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -----Stu-----
Hmmm. Interesting thoughts.... I was literally just about to start to profile the underside of the ribs before making up the wing until i got your email and then read this.... Not sure what i'm going to do now....
I might just try a slightly longer wing
thoughts and decisions..
Regards
Maybe just expand the tips a bit.....I think the added full aileron does the most and stil retains a "streight line fuse" in flight. The under cambered
wing also makes the fuse fly a bit "tail heavy looking" in flight and looks funny....
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Jan 22, 2006, 02:32 AM
Wirral. U.K
Joined Sep 2005
101 Posts
I have built one wing side so far using a slightly longer tip.... no more than 1" but i did not continue the taper of the wing as per the plan, rather i took the tip dimenstion and just moved it out 1" and then made up the leading and trailing edges to suit. Doing it that way helps to disguise the wing extension. I will take a pic of it over the original plan to help show what i mean.
I'm also thinking of make the full aileron out of a clear acetate sheet to try and hide it a little bit.... anyone any thoughts on doing that?
Last edited by -----Stu-----; Jan 22, 2006 at 03:31 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:47 AM
Wirral. U.K
Joined Sep 2005
101 Posts
Just a few pic's to show a little progress..
Last edited by -----Stu-----; Jan 22, 2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:31 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,735 Posts
Hi all

I'm getting the urge to do another one- my FW rolled into a ball too many times and I decided it was trashed, so I picked up a P-40. (The FW may get my vote as the easiest of this series to do- room in the nose- low wing, enough area, simple elevator.) This is still in the vapor phase yet, but I wondered what people are doing about the spinners on these airplanes. Do they hold together when you go to more rpms? What about in a dork? Read Easytigers idea of putting on a thin ply backplate-if that works, I'm game. What about cardboard though?

Other thoughts-I'm planning on a Medusa 12 mm Kv4000 motor and probably the 3 x 3 prop- it does seem to hold together better than the 3 x 2, plus the blade shape is a lot more efficient. I probably won't go to carbon fiber rods, but I will go to thicker spars in the wings. I'm also going to tweak the airfoil- these airplanes have a terrible ballooning problem and I think it's due to the flat bottom airfoil- I'm going to build the wing, then add some balsa to the bottom of the ribs and sand in something closer to semi symmetrical. The landing speed will increase a bit, but I'll go to lighter servos this time.

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:51 AM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
Hello all,

Megow, could you have a look at mine here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469071

(Im the one still in the sticks stage) and let me know what you think ?

I re-weighted everything and it looks like I'm at 4.3 oz AUW...my wing is
enlarged (and removable via rubber bands underneath), will measure its
area soon to get the loading (motor is Lens17T 20mm).

Peter
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:38 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Guillows Rufe

Thought Iíll spark some new interest in this thread. Here is my Rufe. Finally got around to painting it. Iíve had over 20 flights before it was painted. Many crashes and repairs. Itís held up well and the last few flights have been great. Decided it was time to paint it. AUW is now 3.9ounces. A little heavier than I like, but at least it looks like a zero now. First time painting, didnít really have the colors that were authentic so I went with what I had. Will be making a small hand launcher. It will provide a safer launch.

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:17 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
the one repair I might be concerned about is the prop. CA is not suitable to repair broken propellors. Be safe, get a new one.

Nice looking bird.
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
9 Posts
I'm going to take the electronic's out of a Parkzone Ultra Micro RTF T-28 and put them into a Guillow's 500 Series kit (507) Rufe/Zero
widdog is offline Find More Posts by widdog
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:43 PM
Mťxico, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
hi wich is better spektrums dsm2 or futabas fasst im between the 7c transmitter and 7 ch spektum
ara25demayo is offline Find More Posts by ara25demayo
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:21 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara25demayo View Post
hi wich is better spektrums dsm2 or futabas fasst im between the 7c transmitter and 7 ch spektum
If you want to do micro or indoor Spektrum/DSM2 is almost mandatory as they have smaller receivers (AR-6400) than Futaba. DelTang also has very small Rx for Dsm2:
http://www.deltang.co.uk/
Also availlable from BSD micro in the US:
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?categoryID=42
The Futaba 7C not being module based would have you stuck with Futaba Rx only unless you're prepared to mod it using the trainer port and a modified Spektrum(Futaba)module or other DIY module but its not quite a plug-and-play solution! So for Micro/indoor flying any Spektrum would be a better choice(DX6i to DX8)as it would let you use their BNF models if you want. But for larger models Futaba fasst is a better system.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:19 PM
Mťxico, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
If you want to do micro or indoor Spektrum/DSM2 is almost mandatory as they have smaller receivers (AR-6400) than Futaba. DelTang also has very small Rx for Dsm2:
http://www.deltang.co.uk/
Also availlable from BSD micro in the US:
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?categoryID=42
The Futaba 7C not being module based would have you stuck with Futaba Rx only unless you're prepared to mod it using the trainer port and a modified Spektrum(Futaba)module or other DIY module but its not quite a plug-and-play solution! So for Micro/indoor flying any Spektrum would be a better choice(DX6i to DX8)as it would let you use their BNF models if you want. But for larger models Futaba fasst is a better system.
thanks i have take alook in spektrums web page and ive seen some interesting rx like the ar 6300 for my b25 guillows conversion and the ar 6400 bl for my series 500 stuka
ara25demayo is offline Find More Posts by ara25demayo