Closed Thread
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:33 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Build Log
EyeFlyPlanes Twinstar 2 FPV Build

So I've already built 2 other planes for FPV and with each one, you learn a little something. Where not to put things, Best view with the camera, reinforcements etc.

I chose the Twinstar 2 first off because I think its an amazing looking plane in the air - very scale. In addition to that it has a great climb rate with the right motors, and it just flies wonderful. It can be fast when it wants to be, then slow & docile with a gentle glide. A great airframe!! The only drawback is flight times, but I think the pros out weigh the cons.

With this build I plan on using the following gear...

MPX Twinstar 2
2 X Turnigy C35-30 1700kv motors
8x6 Thin Elec Props
2 x 40a Hobbyking ESC's
4000mah 20c Lightmax lipo (Flight Pack)
HXT900 Servos for ailerons, elev & rudder
Castle 10a BEC

Video Gear...
1300mah 20c Lightmax lipo (VTX, Camera, OSD)
Hs-55 for tilt
Hs-65mg digtal for pan
540 tvl .01 lux ccd cam w/ OSD
900 MHZ VTX & 3db Rubber duckie

Stabilization...
FY20A Flight Stabilization System

OSD...
Dragon OSD

Radio Link...
Dragon Link

Build hours...
Countless.

Heres is what I have so far...

If you notice from the pics, so far I've got the motors and escs all installed and wired up.
I took Workshops suggestion as to wiring the ESC's with the longer 3 power wires and the 2 shorter for the battery. Something about reduced electrical inductance. I dunno.

I buried the ESC's in the wings so there is nothing sticking out causing additional drag.

Ive cut custom holes for the servos for ail and elevator so as to give myself more room in the cockpit. I've always liked direct drive for all control surfaces anyways.

I cut a ridiculously large hole for easy access to all of the electrics. Of course the fuse is reinforced. This I have to give credit to Hauntme13 and his TS2 Build.

I've installed the mic behind the wings in a little crevice so I am out of the wind, but at the same time I can hear both motors.

I'm still waiting on my DragonLink and Dragon OSD.

I plan on installing the dragonlink antenna in the tail, because it needs to be vertically oriented.

It goes against my normal build of VTX always on the tail, but in this case I'd rather my r/c link be as my top priority.

I'm not crazy about the look of the VTX, with velcro over the top, but its the only thing that makes sense right now. I want it as high as possible for best reception, but I need it away from most other electrics especially the GPS. Any other mounting ideas in the canopy would be much appreciated.

I will be mounting the GPS behind the wings, behind the mic - so hopefully I should have over 13 inches from the VTX to the GPS.

Also I have built my very own pan and tilt. I wanted something light, efficient. The pics below show what I cam up with, its ready for black paint!. I used to build camera cases with wood, balsa - then plywood and In every crash they just fall apart. So I've found that covering a camera with cardboard and ca glue, they seem to have the stongest & lightest build.

I have meticulously designed this build so that everything is optimized for a great FPV experience and a bit of speed. Im hoping to push 80mph with $15 motors -haha.

Any additional ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Last edited by EyeFlyPlanes; Oct 09, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:06 AM
Joined Jan 2007
2,056 Posts
Everything looks pretty good. Out of curiosity, is your HS55 on your pan instead of tilt like you said? Looks backwards from what you have written.
Also, would it still be a good idea to put a little foam over the mic? You'll still get airflow over it so it may still get drowned out by the wind.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:26 AM
Kragerø, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
725 Posts
Looks promising!
Voguna is online now Find More Posts by Voguna
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:27 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
Does it really make a difference if the VTX is placed right on top or few CM beneath ?

Here is where my VTX is placed on the Partenavia (basically, same platform as the Twinstar) -
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:23 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Everything looks pretty good. Out of curiosity, is your HS55 on your pan instead of tilt like you said? Looks backwards from what you have written.
Also, would it still be a good idea to put a little foam over the mic? You'll still get airflow over it so it may still get drowned out by the wind.
Nope it is listed correctly, I've just got some black paint on it so it may look in disquise but it's correct. As of the mic, I may bury it down a little more, it may not look like it but it's out of the way of airflow. Good suggestion tho.

Oded maz,

Your vtx mount should be fine, it's similar to mine. I just wanted mine as high as possible, it's best for reception purposes. But jeez, I think it's time to retire that airframe, it looks like it's been through hell.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:47 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,199 Posts
EyeFlyPlanes its time for an update ! Don't leave us hangin Bro !
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:44 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Haha alright ya I was gonna update today. I've got some new pics ready to post: )
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:48 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
EyeFlyPlanes:

Looks good! The Twinstar is a great FPV platform, with a couple of tweaks here and there. Seems you're on top of things pretty good though. Installing the ESC's in the wings, and direct driving the elevator/rudder are good ways of clearing out space inside for all the FPV goodies. Couple of misc. comments...

Duration should be ok, assuming you chose your motor combo well. I'm not familiar with those so I can't really say. But my TS2 will fly for about 30 minutes with good throttle management. That's with 400F motors from justgofly.com, turning 6x4 props. And running two 2100 3 cell lipo's in parallel (4200 mah total).

80 mph is probably pushing it a bit. It will do 60mph for sure. But this is a draggy b@tch. Don't know if it will hit 80. What for anyways?

Interesting idea slicing the fuse like that to gain access to equipment. Good reinforcement is a necessity!!

I had issues with GPS reception with the GPS sensor mounted on the top of the vertical stabilizer, and the video Tx just in front of the wing. That's, I don't know, 20" to 24" separation maybe. Can't remember. But I did have the stock whip antenna on the video Tx, and that could have been causing spurious emissions versus a properly tuned dipole. So I need to do more testing on that.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:45 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Update with some pics.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:53 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang View Post
EyeFlyPlanes:

Looks good! The Twinstar is a great FPV platform, with a couple of tweaks here and there. Seems you're on top of things pretty good though. Installing the ESC's in the wings, and direct driving the elevator/rudder are good ways of clearing out space inside for all the FPV goodies. Couple of misc. comments...

Duration should be ok, assuming you chose your motor combo well. I'm not familiar with those so I can't really say. But my TS2 will fly for about 30 minutes with good throttle management. That's with 400F motors from justgofly.com, turning 6x4 props. And running two 2100 3 cell lipo's in parallel (4200 mah total).

80 mph is probably pushing it a bit. It will do 60mph for sure. But this is a draggy b@tch. Don't know if it will hit 80. What for anyways?

Interesting idea slicing the fuse like that to gain access to equipment. Good reinforcement is a necessity!!

I had issues with GPS reception with the GPS sensor mounted on the top of the vertical stabilizer, and the video Tx just in front of the wing. That's, I don't know, 20" to 24" separation maybe. Can't remember. But I did have the stock whip antenna on the video Tx, and that could have been causing spurious emissions versus a properly tuned dipole. So I need to do more testing on that.
Thanks turbostang. Ya I've just got this thing with one of the other flyers in this club where he doesn't believe in spending less then 100 bucks a motor for anything that expects performance. His twinstar will go 80mph and I'd love to keep up with him on meets. In fact I think hell jump in here any time now. Haha.

These motor choices were definately performance minded. But just as with any motor you can always throttle back and save your mah. So I'm pretty sure I should be able to get at least 30 mins as well.

Oh man, almost done, just gotta mount the servo arms, glue the clevises in, make my custom underbody for landings and she's ready for paint.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:55 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
If the motor setup is made for performance, you may end up loosing some flight time, even at lower throttle settings, because you might be cruising at a higher current draw. But we'll see. I need to get my OSD stuff back on board and do a WOT pass. I know I've seen it hit over 60 mph in level flight. Maybe 65. I've only got 6x4 props though, so that's about all she has. This thing is so draggy though. It's like trying to drive a Mac truck sideways through the air!

My custom underbody for belly landings consists of a couple of long strips of packing tape. It takes all of the abuse and keeps the fuse from getting scuffed up. I've even done a few touch-and-go's lately off of soccer fields.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:37 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,449 Posts
Whaaaa? It is a business expense !

EyeFlyPlanes is referring to me… I fly Mega Motors in-runners because of the efficiency not the top end performance. With my current setup (check out the “Jeff Parisse Aerial Shorts” thread for details on the plane), I’m cruising around 50mph with a recorded top speed in a sustained dive of 90mph. The plane(s) are in their third and fourth generations with judicious use of carbon fiber ribbon inlayed into the Elapor at key locations to make them stiff enough for “bush plane” performance. Stall is around 23mph and most video is shot around 30-35mph. Time in air is between 30-45min. AUW w/o GoPro or Batteries is 58oz. I’m just finishing #4…
workshop is online now Find More Posts by workshop
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:42 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Sounds very impressive!
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:33 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
EyeFlyPlanes is referring to me… I fly Mega Motors in-runners because of the efficiency not the top end performance. With my current setup (check out the “Jeff Parisse Aerial Shorts” thread for details on the plane), I’m cruising around 50mph with a recorded top speed in a sustained dive of 90mph. The plane(s) are in their third and fourth generations with judicious use of carbon fiber ribbon inlayed into the Elapor at key locations to make them stiff enough for “bush plane” performance. Stall is around 23mph and most video is shot around 30-35mph. Time in air is between 30-45min. AUW w/o GoPro or Batteries is 58oz. I’m just finishing #4…
Yep, thats the guy. hehe
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:00 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Take a look at the prep pics! First - the concept idea, followed by prep...
Closed Thread