You don't even need the heated ones
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:39 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2014
405 Posts
Little heaters like this are so nice, your hands are out of the TX glove most of the time.
I got the second one to see if it could be used for a boot warmer. Maybe cut it down for hand warmers?
Dave778 is offline Find More Posts by Dave778
Old Oct 08, 2014, 02:39 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
YES! if you think you can fly with gloves think twice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave778 View Post
I just got one of the HK ones, and a couple of the heaters.

I can only fly for a short amount of time before I'm miserable in 38F or less. I will give it a shot this winter. I have a 6S 5000mah that had a bad cell, refunded $, but still sitting around. I could make 2 2S packs from it.

You have to buy soon, as they will sell out in a month or two until March or so. I've been looking at it and thinking about it for a few years.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ap_Ready_.html
Cool. Thx guys...
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:24 AM
Joined Oct 2006
5 Posts
For you guys that fly in the winter, how is lipo performance affected? Is there a point when its too cold to fly with lipos? Also, is there any precautions to take when flying in the cold ie below 0 Celsius(I think that's 32 fahrenheit for my U.S. friends)

Thanks,

Andrew
bling is offline Find More Posts by bling
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:16 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,156 Posts
If it's that cold and I need a hand warmer I'm inside on the sim
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:15 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bling View Post
For you guys that fly in the winter, how is lipo performance affected? Is there a point when its too cold to fly with lipos? Also, is there any precautions to take when flying in the cold ie below 0 Celsius(I think that's 32 fahrenheit for my U.S. friends)

Thanks,

Andrew
A lot of people mention this - but I haven't noticed a large difference (though in fairness I only fly 2 or 3 lipos at a time, so not long for them to get very cold).

Might be worth dropping your timer by 10% or something and seeing how much you put back.

I have flown in a few degrees of negative celcius (using a Tx mitt)
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:36 PM
Joined Oct 2006
5 Posts
Thanks. I will give that a try. We are in the middle of a mild spell, so I hopefully wont have to worry about it for a while.
bling is offline Find More Posts by bling
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:55 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
You can also keep lipos warm in your pocket or in the car - once you're using them, they keep well above their minimum temps
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:21 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,519 Posts
All I found is that the Lipos don't put out the power when cold. This can cause issues if your using a BEC.

2Doggs is right! just keep them warm before.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:57 AM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
475 Posts
mhills...surprised to still see you here, I used to read this thread a lot a couple years ago, great your sticking around to help people out. I have a Full House Heli (FHH) 500 I built back then with all the stuff you guys were recomending (HK motor, Plush ESC, turnigy servos, etc). Only flew it a couple times then kinda lost interest when quads started getting popular. Is there any market for a lightly used older flybar style heli? I don't know $150? Less?
Anybody?

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:43 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
479 Posts
Just to let you guys know, I just listed my HK / Align Trex 500 scale project for sale in the heli classifieds here. I also listed my Align Trex 500 as well.

Unfortunately I'm not able to ship the scale heli due to how the gear mounts but I'm still looking for a way to get it boxed if someone local does not pick it up. The Align 500 will ship with no problems slightly disassembled.

If anyone is interested please let me know. These birds fly great and were maintained very well, never crashed. I have way too many helis and its time to thin out the hangar a bit.

Thanks!
MIGPILOT44 is online now Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Old Oct 27, 2014, 04:12 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishelman View Post
mhills...surprised to still see you here, I used to read this thread a lot a couple years ago, great your sticking around to help people out. I have a Full House Heli (FHH) 500 I built back then with all the stuff you guys were recomending (HK motor, Plush ESC, turnigy servos, etc). Only flew it a couple times then kinda lost interest when quads started getting popular. Is there any market for a lightly used older flybar style heli? I don't know $150? Less?
Anybody?

Rishelman
Sorry I thought I replyed? I most likely hit preview post instead of submit

I got $150 out of mine, but that was about three or four years ago. While most people were just starting to play with the FBL
RCG Plus Member