HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:07 AM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,559 Posts
Discussion
Let's be proactive in avoiding flying in near full-scale aircraft

http://m.kirotv.com/news/news/faa-in...#__federated=1

Decided to change my original title from: "You are an idiot. and I hope they catch you" because of this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=99
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Last edited by llbr22; Mar 26, 2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: change of heart
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:45 AM
Joined Mar 2015
27 Posts
I so hope they find this moron, unbelievable... Wow
Opnekryan is offline Find More Posts by Opnekryan
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,648 Posts
Idiot. I hope they throw the book at him. Make him an example.

Anyone in Spanaway Washington that can follow up?
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:58 PM
I do random gravity checks
Joined Feb 2013
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Idiot. I hope they throw the book at him. Make him an example.

Anyone in Spanaway Washington that can follow up?
Fact is, if they say they can't come in and deny they have a "drone" the police can't do anything... Judging by the build of that quad I bet this guy has an account here on rcgroups.

Sell your stuff or learn to fly safely, if you're reading this you're the reason we will loose the right to fly our multi-rotors.
shortbus1989 is offline Find More Posts by shortbus1989
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:19 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus1989 View Post
Fact is, if they say they can't come in and deny they have a "drone" the police can't do anything... Judging by the build of that quad I bet this guy has an account here on rcgroups.

Sell your stuff or learn to fly safely, if you're reading this you're the reason we will loose the right to fly our multi-rotors.
exactly why I titled this thread as such.

Looks like they went to the house.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/faa-...licopte/nkYk7/

I hope the pilot gets a fine, but name published in the name of public humiliation.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:24 PM
RC addict
buena park,ca
Joined Oct 2006
16 Posts
i'm thinking jail time should be involved in the outcome here. what a stupid idiot this guy is! thanks for ruining the hobby and possible legal business's we are hoping to enjoy in the future. just goes to show how uncommon common sense is any more ...
harpdawg is offline Find More Posts by harpdawg
Last edited by harpdawg; Mar 19, 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:43 PM
Joined Feb 2013
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
exactly why I titled this thread as such.

Looks like they went to the house.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/faa-...licopte/nkYk7/

I hope the pilot gets a fine, but name published in the name of public humiliation.
Title is perfect...

Just finished watching the whole video, can't believe how bad his flying was and that he went that high with full scale helis above.....He endangered two multi million dollar helicopters, their crew and anyone on the ground...Yeah this clown needs to spend some time in jail.

Still trying to figure out what kind of quad it is, looks like another RTF setup judging by the TX. Really wish everyone was forced to build their own, might prevent some of stupidity.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:55 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,559 Posts
Quote:
Title is perfect...

Just finished watching the whole video, can't believe how bad his flying was and that he went that high with full scale helis above.....He endangered two multi million dollar helicopters, their crew and anyone on the ground...Yeah this clown needs to spend some time in jail.

Still trying to figure out what kind of quad it is, looks like another RTF setup judging by the TX. Really wish everyone was forced to build their own, might prevent some of stupidity.
someone on another thread thought it was this:
http://www.amazon.com/XT-XINTE-Walke.../dp/B00OKBY7EU
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:58 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2013
783 Posts
Wow that was exciting to watch. Flying that high over populated area is definitely a NO NO NO. Was the drone directly above the full size copter? Cannot determine from this video. It could of been far away from the full size helicopters. It would not seem this person had any intent at causing harm but clearly exercised poor judgement to fly so high. He could of been in the air first and better judgement caused him to retreat down as the news choppers approached.

This piece will definitely be used to stir up debate on drone regulation.

What type of camera is on that helicopter ... I need one for my F550 =P
Phantom604 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom604
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2013
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom604 View Post
Wow that was exciting to watch. Flying that high over populated area is definitely a NO NO NO. Was the drone directly above the full size copter? Cannot determine from this video. It could of been far away from the full size helicopters. It would not seem this person had any intent at causing harm but clearly exercised poor judgement to fly so high. He could of been in the air first and better judgement caused him to retreat down as the news choppers approached.

This piece will definitely be used to stir up debate on drone regulation.

What type of camera is on that helicopter ... I need one for my F550 =P
Yup it is the black version of the Walkera Scout X4 Ready to Fly FPV.

In the article the pilot of the full scale in the shot stated the quad flew over him, so yeah he was close enough to be a danger. The idea of him being their first makes sense, that being said those helis were within earshot and he should have descended as soon as he noticed them enter the area. Appeared they were circling the fire and not on approach but it's hard to tell from the video.

When I fly, if anything full scale is in the area I either land to stay very very low. Destruction of property is not worth a "good shot".
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:28 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,559 Posts
the helicopter crew claims it was approx 50' away.. that's damn close http://www.kirotv.com/videos/online/...r-news/vDLG4p/

seems to me he was clueless both during and after that he was doing anything wrong. Let's face it, there are dumb people out there. They have access just like the rest of us to dangerous things. People like him We should thank him for reminding us of this... in addition to making him pay a fat fine,
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:30 PM
Deaf Flyer
United States, MO
Joined Feb 2015
184 Posts
If he was flying it for fun or as hobby, I doubt there will be any jail time or fine for him even if he went above 400 feet. But if he was doing this for commercial purpose then that different and should be fined.

I am not new to R/C and have flown R/C planes before but I am new to MR world and building my first MR. My understanding that 400 feet is FAA suggest guideline for hobby use but is restricted for commercial use.

If he flew 1500 feet as this news helicopter claimed and over a high populated area then I would said he was stupid to do this and should have not done it in the first place. I doubt FAA will have anything on him.

Remember the MR that crashed in White House lawn, they did not pressed any charges against the drunk guy since he was not flying it commercially.

Yes this event could cause lawmaker to add laws against MR hobby uses in the future but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. I will be surprised if it does happen and I am sure AMA will be all over it preventing it happening like how NRA is all over on gun control.

There will be bad apple but I know we Americans are not going to let a few bad apples take our freedom away and will fight back and win.

Now on the other hand, those news copter camera, the zoom and clarity on it. I was impressed how good it was and wonder if police copter camera are even better and does that invade our privacy right from the Government.

If you can't resist and stay under 400 feet or must fly out of LOS then please do us all a favor, go take a long drive out to middle of no where and fly there. Or respect the FAA guideline on flying under 400 feet and in LOS at all time.

Bill
TechBill is offline Find More Posts by TechBill
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:36 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2013
783 Posts
To lighten the atmosphere, I meant the type of camera on the full size helicopter. The zoom was very impressive and when catching the drone on descent. Where I live, I feel the planes fly too low and now I can see that they can see what I am BBQ'ing. My privacy ... wah wah wah wah. But yes, this news piece is terrible publicity for the hobby. The good side? hope it reminds us all to not push the limits hard in urban areas. stay away from full size aircraft and emergency response situations. the hobby is fun and you can tell the guy was excited to go home and check out his epic footage.

Quote:
Yup it is the black version of the Walkera Scout X4 Ready to Fly FPV.
Phantom604 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom604
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,648 Posts
Probably something similar to this. http://www.helifilms.com/featuresandcapabilities.html

Full size gimbals are 5 or 6 axis stabilized with both electronic and gyroscopic stabilization. They also cost as much as a house.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:49 PM
RC addict
buena park,ca
Joined Oct 2006
16 Posts
I live less than 4 miles from a small municipal airport. because of that fact, i've never flown any of my rc's in my yard. absolute torture when just getting or finishing building a new ride. I figure better safe than giving more ammo against our freedoms. now, my rc cars and trucks, completely different story...
harpdawg is offline Find More Posts by harpdawg