HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:08 PM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Build Log
Sig J-3 Cub Build

I got my kit yesterday and began building today. I was so excited that I spent the whole day building and now my right wing is almost done. With all the excitment, I began building it very quickly and was too lazy to read the manual, as a result, I cut part of my wing (the little struts that go all across it) and now I'm trying to find a way to extend them.
GabrielSPeixoto is offline Find More Posts by GabrielSPeixoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:36 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
2,127 Posts
You could scarf the spars back in place. Cut the spars out about two bays in from root then add extension. Glue scrap segment (that you cut out) across the butt ends. Another thing to do is leave as is and let brass tubes into the wing to receive music wire joiners for a true 'plug-in' wing. Access to fuselage interior would be thru door. I've done this and it works though a bit 'fiddly'. The struts are functional on these kits so these repairs are more than adequate. Good luck!
ARUP is online now Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:22 AM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
You could scarf the spars back in place. Cut the spars out about two bays in from root then add extension. Glue scrap segment (that you cut out) across the butt ends. Another thing to do is leave as is and let brass tubes into the wing to receive music wire joiners for a true 'plug-in' wing. Access to fuselage interior would be thru door. I've done this and it works though a bit 'fiddly'. The struts are functional on these kits so these repairs are more than adequate. Good luck!

I was thinking about option of using the brass tubes. It seems to be much better since I'll be able to use them to pass the servo wires through the wing. Which thickness do you recommend?? I don't have any idea about the stress the these wings will have to support, this is my first balsa build.
Last edited by GabrielSPeixoto; Feb 23, 2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:58 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2015
71 Posts
What kit did you get? I ordered the SIG 1/6 kit and its on the way. Is yours the 1/6 or 1/4?
andrewbrockman is online now Find More Posts by andrewbrockman
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:17 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
2,127 Posts
Don't pass servo wires thru brass tubes for that would add needless weight in tubing. 1/8" music wire joiners slipped into brass tubes in the wings would be sufficiently strong for a plug in wing for your 1/6 scale Cub. The struts are functional! Spend time making them right! It looks like a 1/6 scale wing panel, there.
ARUP is online now Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:11 PM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrockman View Post
What kit did you get? I ordered the SIG 1/6 kit and its on the way. Is yours the 1/6 or 1/4?
This is the 1/6.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:29 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2,302 Posts
Hi Gabriel,

I am glad to see you have started your Sig 1/6 Scale J-3 Cub build log and look forward to following along with you as you work on this model. One suggestion I would like to offer: please take time to read the manual and study the drawings before committing to cutting and gluing wood parts together. Reading the manual twice isn't wasted time, either.

Frankly, I would suggest you start over and build the right wing panel correctly, using existing parts for patterns. This would get you off to a more correct start. I also would not want to see you run servo wiring through brass/metal tubing; use rolled paper tubing (a sheet of typing paper works nicely for this) to run your servo leads through. As Arup has said, those wing struts are functional parts of the wing so you want the wing to be built true and strong. A J-3 Cub is NOT a guaranteed flyer; I've seen a number of them snap roll on takeoff or fold a wing during flight due to non-prototypical flight maneuvers or too big of an engine (too much power) on the nose. To help you succeed, especially if, as I suspect, you do not have a lot of RC model building experience, read the manual, study the plans well and take the time to construction this RC model correctly. We all want to see you succeed and have a J-3 Cub that will be a joy to fly.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:25 AM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
Hi Gabriel,

I am glad to see you have started your Sig 1/6 Scale J-3 Cub build log and look forward to following along with you as you work on this model. One suggestion I would like to offer: please take time to read the manual and study the drawings before committing to cutting and gluing wood parts together. Reading the manual twice isn't wasted time, either.

Frankly, I would suggest you start over and build the right wing panel correctly, using existing parts for patterns. This would get you off to a more correct start. I also would not want to see you run servo wiring through brass/metal tubing; use rolled paper tubing (a sheet of typing paper works nicely for this) to run your servo leads through. As Arup has said, those wing struts are functional parts of the wing so you want the wing to be built true and strong. A J-3 Cub is NOT a guaranteed flyer; I've seen a number of them snap roll on takeoff or fold a wing during flight due to non-prototypical flight maneuvers or too big of an engine (too much power) on the nose. To help you succeed, especially if, as I suspect, you do not have a lot of RC model building experience, read the manual, study the plans well and take the time to construction this RC model correctly. We all want to see you succeed and have a J-3 Cub that will be a joy to fly.

Soft landings,

Joe
Hi Joe,

Since the closest hobby store is about 1 hour from me, I reaaly don't want to start it all over again. Don't you think putting tubes through the spars just like EricClark did won't do the job ?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:15 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2,302 Posts
...twas only a suggestion, Gabriel.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:27 AM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
...twas only a suggestion, Gabriel.

Soft landings,

Joe
Sorry if I sounded rude, english is not my first language.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:44 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,805 Posts
yup the tubes look sharp!

should work just fine!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig 29/Su37 super flanker
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2,302 Posts
Hi Gabriel,

I didn't take your post as rude, my friend. I am only being concerned about you getting off on the right start with your J-3 Cub build. How you finalize the various build steps on the model is your call all the way.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:07 PM
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Today I had the chance to work a little bit on my cub. I decided to wait a little before doing anything to my wing to think a little more about my options and got the 2 sides of my fuselage almost done. And I also chose to leave the right window "locked" because I thought that doing both the door and the window movable could cause me trouble.