HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by zlite, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:04 PM
masterless samurai
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
765 Posts
Great resource that's been put together here. According to the FAA Fact Sheet released Jan 6, 2014:

Regarding model aircraft use ...

Quote:
Recreational use of airspace by model aircraft is covered by FAA Advisory Circular 91-57, which generally limits operations to below 400 feet above ground level and away from airports and air traffic. In 2007, the FAA clarified that AC 91-57 only applies to modelers, and specifically excludes individuals or companies flying model aircraft for business purposes.
However, "away from airports or air traffic" is a bit vague. A bit further down the fact sheet but in regards to a 2012 reauthorization bill governing the use of uav's by a "government public safety agency," ...

Quote:
The bill specified these UAS must be flown within the line of sight of the operator, less than 400 feet above the ground, during daylight conditions, inside Class G (uncontrolled) airspace and more than five miles from any airport or other location with aviation activities.
So I've since used that guidance in terms of how far away I need to be from local air fields.
the.ronin is online now Find More Posts by the.ronin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2010
250 Posts
I don't know if any of you are licensed pilots, but one thing to keep in mind is that the FAA doesn't have the money or resources to be tracking down and prosecuting FPV pilots. I have been a private pilot for over 20yrs and I have never seen a rep from the FAA just show up at an airport. I have heard about it, but it is usually because they are there for something else and then happen to see something in violation of regs.
I love UAV's and FPV but I think anyone flying them should be required to take ground school so you can understand the environment your flying in. I know, I know, why take ground school if nobody from the FAA is ever going to check on it? Well, in aviation, a lot of things work on the honor system. Like logging your flying hours in a log book etc.. So let me put it this way. If you show up at a flying field with your multirotor and FPV goggles and other people there find out your uneducated in what your doing (don't know anything about airspace). You won't be welcome back and you will be looked at as a fool and a risk to everyone else.
All that being said, has anyone ever heard of someone being arrested and prosecuted for FPV? Now when you start charging money for your UAV services it opens up a huge can of worms. Then you are a commercial pilot and will probably need some kind of insurance that probably doesn't exist yet.
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
Great resource that's been put together here. According to the FAA Fact Sheet released Jan 6, 2014:

Regarding model aircraft use ...

However, "away from airports or air traffic" is a bit vague. A bit further down the fact sheet but in regards to a 2012 reauthorization bill governing the use of uav's by a "government public safety agency," ...

So I've since used that guidance in terms of how far away I need to be from local air fields.
"away from airports or air traffic" is just a way to put blame on the UAV pilot. So, if a model UAV has a mid air collision with a full scale aircraft in flight or on the ground it's automatically the UAV pilots fault. Then they will come looking for you and drop a few hundred pages of regulations in your lap and start interrogating you...... with the local police present, of course. I know I sound like Debbie Downer here guys, but I see people on youtube doing really stupid things with multirotors.
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:24 PM
masterless samurai
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leithalweapon View Post
"away from airports or air traffic" is just a way to put blame on the UAV pilot. So, if a model UAV has a mid air collision with a full scale aircraft in flight or on the ground it's automatically the UAV pilots fault. Then they will come looking for you and drop a few hundred pages of regulations in your lap and start interrogating you...... with the local police present, of course. I know I sound like Debbie Downer here guys, but I see people on youtube doing really stupid things with multirotors.
... or you contact TBS' lawyers? Their "point me to the law" defense seemed to work pretty darn good.
the.ronin is online now Find More Posts by the.ronin
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:23 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,777 Posts
That case is pending of course Trappy has not won anything yet
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Feb 22, 2014, 02:51 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leithalweapon View Post
Under what conditions should a small, hard to see (at 120kts.) unmanned vehicle have the right of way over any aircraft carrying any number of people? Under what conditions would a UAV be flown in controlled airspace? 99% of this is all common sense.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Mar 06, 2014, 02:29 AM
Powerplant Engineer
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Mar 2012
17 Posts
Nice summary on the FAA webpage about UAVs:

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=76240
HankMoody is online now Find More Posts by HankMoody
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:51 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankMoody View Post
Nice summary on the FAA webpage about UAVs:

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=76240
I think that might be a response to this recent ruling?:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/com...al-judge-ruled

Scroll down all the way to see the full ruling.

If nothing else maybe this has made the FAA dig in their heels? A lot of the myths seem contrary to the judges ruling
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:51 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,821 Posts
An appeal has been filed by the FAA
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Apr 12, 2014, 06:29 PM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
421 Posts
Seems like some countries are finally beginning to regard "drone" operations in more sensible way. This is an actual statement from the national NSA where I live: (gooogle/translate)

Quote:
New trial for photos from the air

Going up and shoot with model airplanes, remote controlled helicopter or drone ? Now you do not have to seek permission from NSM - as long as the drone is in line of sight , and it is not close to an area with photo ban.

Sales of remote-controlled helicopters and drones with cameras has skyrocketed in recent years . Until April 2 had all the permission of the National Security Agency to shoot from the air, with the exception of passengers on scheduled flights . National Security Authority easing now on the requirements for when you have to apply to record from these unmanned platforms.
New trial

The National Security Agency has decided that a trial from April 2 and the year is no longer required to seek permission for photography and filming from the air while the drone is in line of sight and flying outside restricted areas . A restricted area is military sites with photo ban. Civilian areas may be marked with the ban on photography.

- Most drones are flown by ordinary people, and this activity poses no risk to the national security authority will help to protect. This new solution will help ensure that regulations are unnecessary hurdle for most people, while maintaining the need for national security , said department director Carsten Rapp in the National Security Agency .
Continued prohibition

It will still be illegal to photograph and film the restricted areas from the air. Violations can result in criminal liability . With doubt the admission avoided, and the public can contact any National Security Authority for guidance.

It must also continue to apply for permission for other types of shooting with airborne sensor systems , eg . mapping with aircraft and other sensors than photo. You can find more information here .
Other Considerations.
Will be interesting to see if this is an early introduction of a EU regulation to come - or something someone here came up with on their own.
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Last edited by brakar; Apr 12, 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 07:59 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakar View Post
Seems like some countries are finally beginning to regard "drone" operations in more sensible way. This is an actual statement from the national NSA where I live: (gooogle/translate)
Will be interesting to see if this is an early introduction of a EU regulation to come - or something someone here came up with on their own.
Do you have a source for that? (A link, even if it's not in English.) Thanks.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:04 AM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
421 Posts
Link to the source of the googletranslated text: https://www.nsm.stat.no/Aktuelt/Nytt...to-fra-luften/

An overall description of the legislation can be found here: http://www.luftfartstilsynet.no/rege...ticle10861.ece

The interesting part is that the CAA do no longer want to restrict recreational use of UAVs/FPVs. In order to carry a camera, one did however have to apply to the NSM/("NSA") for a license for aerial photographying. This part is now being suspended for a test period until the end of the year.
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:40 AM
Joined Jan 2014
61 Posts
It's interesting how the FAA views flying model aircraft similar to the way the government views sex. You can engage in the practice for recreation, but as soon as money changes hands, it's illegal!! This is the same kind of stupidity that generated the cell phone laws: I can talk on my cell phone if it is lying on my console or even pressed between my ear and my shoulder, but as soon as I touch it with my hand, it becomes illegal. Freakin' geniuses making these laws and regulations.

So, there's a lot of bitching going on here. Can I assume that everyone who is pissed off has commented on the FAA's interpretation?
Jim_bo is offline Find More Posts by Jim_bo
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:20 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,436 Posts
Signing a petition or commenting on the "erase it after they comment" section of a government website only serves to show the FAA that the the public acquiesces to their pretend authority beyond the NAS. The agency is irrelevant when it comes to challenging private property ownership of airspace and the precedents set by the Supreme Court and lower State courts.
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2014
61 Posts
Then those arguments should be used in your comments. If you think that the comment section will only be erased, I won't disagree with you. However, if everyone adopts your attitude and no one responds, you better bet that the FAA will point to that lack of response and claim that "silence is concurence".
Jim_bo is offline Find More Posts by Jim_bo