HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:53 PM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Discussion
Help! I can't get the tail linkage smooth..

I have a 450XL and recently had a crash.. One of many I am sure as I continue to learn...
I broke the plastic housing on the tail assembly and bought all new parts for it figuring if I broke something I am sure that I bent something as well.
Long story short I can't get it to slide smoothly. It feels like it's going over a hump as it slides back and forth. I also noticed that when I start up the heli for a bit the blade grips seem to slide out on their shafts a bit causing a gap on the little unit they bolt on to, when they slide out like that it makes it even harder to slide. The tail wags really bad because of this problem.
I have oiled everything and can't for the life of me figure this out.
Another thing to note, the new unit is different then the unit that came with the heli. The original unit had the link ends screwing on thru an arm that sort of looked like a servo arm. The new one has a screw going thru the oposite direction sort of like a hinge.
HELP!!!!! anyone run into this???
crashagain is online now Find More Posts by crashagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
electric head
Randburg
Joined Jul 2005
587 Posts
Sounds like your tail rotor shaft might be bent. Replace it.
khaoz is offline Find More Posts by khaoz
Old Sep 25, 2007, 03:48 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,531 Posts
Does the new tail assembly have pins extruding from the top and bottom of the slider, engaging forks above and below the slider?

If so, I don't know if this will have any bearing on the situation (pun intended; see below), but when I reassembled the metal tail on my Diablo I found that the slider jerked in the middle of its travel when operating the pushrod by hand. The slider's pins seemed to be binding against the forks. I was able to resolve it by very slightly loosening the screw going through the bearing on the elbow arm that connects to the pushrod and the slider linkage.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Sep 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoz
Sounds like your tail rotor shaft might be bent. Replace it.
Everything in the tail assembly is new.......
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:01 PM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum
Does the new tail assembly have pins extruding from the top and bottom of the slider, engaging forks above and below the slider?

If so, I don't know if this will have any bearing on the situation (pun intended; see below), but when I reassembled the metal tail on my Diablo I found that the slider jerked in the middle of its travel when operating the pushrod by hand. The slider's pins seemed to be binding against the forks. I was able to resolve it by very slightly loosening the screw going through the bearing on the elbow arm that connects to the pushrod and the slider linkage.
I have the plastic one and it has a hole in the bottom and a fork at the top.
The binding seems to be coming from the links on the blade grips.
If I pop them off the tail is smooth. Put them back on and it feels sticky..
I'll try the screw thing and maybe experiement with some spacers..
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:49 PM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
I give up!!!!!
This just sucks..... I get it working and then in a minute or two of flying it starts wagging again and when I check the tail, it's binding again....

So I ordered a metal tail today...

That'll fix it!!

I guess I have to start upgrading sometime huh???
Old Oct 09, 2007, 10:15 PM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Well I fixed it..
I had 2 problems and did not know about the second one.
I upgraded to the alumimum tail and it works great. When I took it out to set up the gyro and hover it a bit, it was still wagging like it did before.
Drove me nuts to still be there, after I thought I replaced the problem.
Here's the cause...
When I had changed the tail boom after a crash I had also changed the servo brackets the metal ones while I had it apart. Trouble I had at the time and did not think anything of it, was the servo was a little farther away from the boom then I liked and the rod was bending down to the servo wheel. To solve this (not knowing what I was doing) I put on a longer servo arm to get the rod parallel to the tail boom.
This was the problem.
I guess that the linkage has to be close to the center of the servo so it does not have to travel far to keep the speed up to work with the gyro.
Flipped the bracket over, moving the servo where it was before, and reinstalled the little wheel...

Heli is hovering smooth and has a rock solid tail again....

Oh well at least I got a nice upgrade out of it huh??
Old Oct 09, 2007, 10:36 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Make sure the screws that hold the tail blade grips to the tail rotor hub are all the way in and tight. My metal tail on the 450SE had one of these screws back out a little and it caused symptoms similar to the ones you described.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:23 AM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Will do...
I thread locked everything before I installed it.