Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2005, 11:12 AM
Joined Mar 2005
199 Posts
Problems Tuning Evo .46

I should have left good enough alone...

I've read through most of the Evo .46 threads but I still have unanswered questions.

I have a Evo. 46 and I bolted it to a board and hooked up the tank. This is my first motor larger than a .049 and I used them 20+ years ago. I was amazed that the motor started up fairly quickly. I then proceeded to tinker with the low speed and high speed to see if they were set correctly. They actually seem to be in the ballpark of where they should be. I was able to run the motor at idle and transition to WOT with very good response (immediate).

Probably due to my lack of experience, I thought that there seemed to be a large amount of oil/fuel coming out of the muffler. I messed with the hi/lo needle setting, never removing the limiiters or by passing them.

I've had problem restarting the motor and I notice the glow driver's needle will sometimes be well into the green area and other times on the line between the red and green and then others in the red. I thought that the driver battery was dead so I charged it for the recommended 10 hrs again. I've since come to the conclusion that the driver is either not making good contact with the glow plug or the glow plug is defective.

My last problem is that now if I take the driver off the glow plug the motor will die when I reduce the throttle to approx. 1/2.

What is a good way to clean a glow plug?
Should I replace the glow plug?
Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their glow driver?

I notice that after running the motor for a few minute that the fuel line between the high speed needle and the carb was void of fuel and it was very difficult to prime the carb again. Is this due to heat from it running close by the head of the motor, I would say the spacing is about 3-5 mm? Should I put a longer fuel line between them so that it would be a little farther from the head?

If I were to take the motor apart and clean it, would WD40 be a good cleaner and then just run some after-run oil through it or automatic transmission fluid?

This is the last thing I need to get settled so I can do my maiden on a GP Rapture 40 kit I just finished. I just want to make sure this motor is running properly and consistently.
Thanks,
Mike Perik
mikeperik is offline Find More Posts by mikeperik
Last edited by mikeperik; Sep 02, 2005 at 11:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2005, 12:23 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
I think you need to start again and read the 'Sticky' at the top of the Engines Forum list of threads.

It sounds as if your problems are caused by not being methodical in your approach. Your engine is a perfectly normal glow 2-stroke and it's unlikely there's anything wrong with the glowplug, driver, or engine, just a combination of fuel related items conspiring to lead you in the wrong direction.

Any problems, please post back.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Sep 02, 2005, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2005
199 Posts
The thing that is making me question either the glow driver or the glow plug is that the meter needle on the driver is not in the green area of the meter. And it seems that only when the needle is well into the green area that the motor will start and I'm wondering if the driver isn't making good contact with the plug or the plug is marginal. I've read the stick and I was attempting to follow the tips it had by doing the pinch test for the low speed setting test, etc. The needle limiters on the Evo makes the use of the sticky post a little more difficult to follow, but it is relevant and I will review those steps again. Maybe I'll remove the limiters until I get it dialed in.

A question about the pinch method. Are you supposed to pinch the fuel line so the fuel flow is stopped completely or only until the increase in RPM is noticed and then the dieing of the motor?

Thanks,
Mike
mikeperik is offline Find More Posts by mikeperik
Old Sep 02, 2005, 04:49 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,398 Posts
The idea is to completely stop the fuel flow. That way the reaction of the engine is totally dependant on what fuel is in it at that point.

It's not the way I do it, but saying that, I think it's a better way than the method I use and so continue to recommend it to others.

The glow reading on the meter is quite likely to be affected by the amount of fuel inside the plug - making it draw extra power possibly to clear any excess. With no fuel it will probably be green (plug glows yellow). While wet it will tend to draw down into the red. Try taking the plug out of the engine - test it while it's dry, and then drop into the plug a bit of fuel and see what effect it has on the meter. that may put your mind at rest about that aspect.
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Sep 02, 2005, 05:14 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,345 Posts
The pinch method of checking the air to fuel mixture at WOT (wide open throttle) is by momentarily pinching the fuel line to the carb - for less than a second. If the engine picks up rpm, it's on the rich side - close the high speed needle a click or two, wait for 10 to 20 seconds and pinch the line again. If when pinching the line the engine doesn't change its rpm or if it slows down, it's lean - open the high speed needle until pinching the fuel line makes the engine increase rpm. On the ground you want the engine to be on the rich side at WOT as when the plane flies, the engine unloads and it leans out a bit.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2005, 12:44 PM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
is there oil in the glow charger and on the glow plug. that loses power to heat it.
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning