HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2014, 09:21 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,946 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Mixing epoxy on my worktable

I can't imagine I am the first one who thought of this, but I haven't seen this anywhere else.

A while ago I saw at a stall at our central bus station someone selling masking tape real cheap. So I bought 20 rolls...
A few days later I was at my worktable, ready to mix some epoxy for a project. Looking about for a piece of carton or paper to mix it on, I couldn't find any. Annoyed I was about to go upstairs to see if we had some lying around, my eye fell on the pile of masking tape rolls, and a light went up.
I cut a few lengths of tape and put them on the table, two side-by-side, 3 layers. I mixed my epoxy on it, and applied the epoxy on the project. When the epoxy had cured I lifted the masking tape of the table and threw it in the bin. No mess, and no pieces of epoxy smeared paper or carton lying about!
The number of layers I lay down depends on the epoxy I use; slow curing or faster curing. For 5 minute epoxy I lay 3 layers. For 30 minute epoxy I use 4 layers; the epoxy might seep through the paper. Hasn't happened yet, but I don't want to find out when it's too late.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2014, 10:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,126 Posts
Great idea

I use a Resi-Mate mixing mat myself. The unused epoxy just snaps off the mat once it's cured. I expect an old cutting mat would work the same way, but I haven't tried it.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old May 16, 2014, 10:49 AM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
Still too complicated Get a pad of Post It Notes. Easy Peasy!
Sonsight is online now Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old May 16, 2014, 11:32 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,209 Posts
Just save all the junk mail that wanders into the house. I guarantee your stack of mixing sheets will grow faster than your consumption.

The tape is certainly a slick trick and very doable. But I for one would be annoyed at the time it would take to prep the mixing area. Also the masking tape is useable for so many other things even if it was cheap in your case. The unwanted advertising junk mail? Not so much.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 16, 2014, 04:30 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
539 Posts
I've been using, for years, a sheet of polyXXXX (don't know what type) plastic I bought at the auto supply for mixing Bondo. Let the glue cure and then pop it off. It can be moved to the work without flopping and dropping the goop all over, also you don't need a clear spot on the work table...which applies to me.
Soarmark is online now Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old May 16, 2014, 04:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
145 Posts
I use pages from Model Aviation that I have already read.

The best "mixing/application sticks" that I have found are old hotel key cards.

I spent 173 nights in hotels last year (travel a LOT in my business). I usually walk out with at least one key card in my pocket and I have been doing this for years.

I throw the old cards in a drawer and then use a pair of heavy duty scissors/shears to cut the cards into strips. I use a strip as the mixing and application stick and then toss it into the trash.

The full cards make great tools for smoothing and leveling fiberglass and drawing excess resin off the project.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old May 16, 2014, 07:56 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,827 Posts
polyethylene probably, or nylon. Damn little sticks to either, which is why paint roller pans are made from them nowadays.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old May 17, 2014, 01:17 PM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
149 Posts
I use the bottom of an empty upside down coke can.
Whizz is online now Find More Posts by Whizz
Old May 17, 2014, 01:52 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,946 Posts
The reason I dislike loose pieces of paper/carton/plastic etc. is that they can move about on the table, and you usually need two hands to mix; one hand for themixing, and one to hold the base in place.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old May 17, 2014, 04:44 PM
United States, NY, Bethpage
Joined Nov 2011
83 Posts
I've been using a 4x4 piece of glazed ceramic tile. You know, the cheap kind thats on everyones bathroom walls. Heavy enough not to move around and I can then move it out of the way before I mistakingly stick my hand in it. After the mix has dried, the epoxy will just peel off. Any residue can be quickly scraped off with a single edge razor blade. Works just as well for mixing CA and baby powder except its a bit harder to get off.
SteveSw is offline Find More Posts by SteveSw
Old May 17, 2014, 04:46 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsight View Post
Still too complicated Get a pad of Post It Notes. Easy Peasy!
Still too complicated. Get a sheet of paper off the printer
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old May 17, 2014, 07:29 PM
Master of the 1 point landing
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Aug 2011
185 Posts
I use little medicine cups. They are the kind that nurses pass meds in at the hospital. They are graduated in mL, drams and oz. For mixing sticks I use the little wooden sticks that come from the poo tests we get at the office. It's all disposable. When I run low, I just grab a few more from the hospital/office.
ckimmey is offline Find More Posts by ckimmey
Old May 17, 2014, 09:05 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,374 Posts
I use post-it notes, paper from the printer, old envelopes, tape on the workbench, med cups.

I also use manuals from old models. Tear off a sheet when you're done with it. Kinda like when we were kids and had an outhouse - Sears catalog did the trick then. (Not the Wish Book - you had to keep that around for birthdays!)

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 18, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,918 Posts
Back when I was a gunsmith my mentor would use an empty Copenhagen can. Once you were done and the epoxy hardened you could just twist the can and the hardened epoxy blob would just pop out.

I preferred a Folgers coffee can lid.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old May 18, 2014, 12:23 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmey View Post
I use little medicine cups. They are the kind that nurses pass meds in at the hospital. They are graduated in mL, drams and oz. For mixing sticks I use the little wooden sticks that come from the poo tests we get at the office. It's all disposable. When I run low, I just grab a few more from the hospital/office.
Now I know why the cost of medical supplies are so high in hospitals.
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel