Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:35 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 1/16 Buggy starting problems (bad fuel??)

I havent been able to start my new car.
I tried my turnigy AA starter which didnt heat the plug so well. I moved on and tried the D cell plug driver. It still wouldnt start. Probably tried 100+ pulls.
The only concern I have is I used nitro fuel 1 year old. I had opened the gallon container a year ago, then resealed with the inner plug and child-proof cap. It was stored outside in the shade in the summer (25C max), and outside in the winter (0C min).
Could this be the culprit?
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:31 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
One year old fuel won't be great, but it should be good enough to at least fire the engine.

Can you see fuel getting into the carb when you're pulling on the starter? It sounds like it's not getting fuel. For the first start, pull the air filter off and put a finger/thumb over the carb then give it a few pulls on the starter. Once you can see fuel flowing in put the ignitor on and try firing it up again.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:53 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
One year old fuel won't be great, but it should be good enough to at least fire the engine.

Can you see fuel getting into the carb when you're pulling on the starter? It sounds like it's not getting fuel. For the first start, pull the air filter off and put a finger/thumb over the carb then give it a few pulls on the starter. Once you can see fuel flowing in put the ignitor on and try firing it up again.
Thanks for the reply.

I can see fuel at least getting to the carb. I pulled the air filter off while I was attempting to start. I'll visually check to see if fuels getting into the carb.
To eliminate more unknowns, I will buy a quart of new fuel, and a new D cell for the igniter.

Will post results tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:42 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
If it's getting fuel and not firing, you'll have to check the fuel mixture.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:57 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
Quote:
If it's getting fuel and not firing, you'll have to check the fuel mixture.
I just bought a new jug of 20% nitro today.
Not even a hint of starting.
One thing odd is it never floods, always the same light tension on the pull start. I thought at first because its such a small motor...but i'm beginning to think no fuel is getting to the motor.
What am i supposed to see down the carb throat??
I dont see any nitro there. The top of piston doesnt seem wet either.

If this is the case, do i need to check for air leaks in the hoses on my brand new car?? Remove carb??

I should have never bought one. Never had much luck with nitro
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:38 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
Quote:

Ok, I didn't follow your instructions to the letter.
Just moments ago, I realized the turnigy AA glow lighter tool wasn't lighting because the end cap wasnt twisted on tight enough. The last few twists bring the metal on metal contact that closes the circuit.
Another problem was fuel wasnt getting to the motor, so the thumb over the carb intake definately was the key to it all. I quickly flooded the motor, and knew shortly I'd have it started. I was right. Unfortunately I can't break it in yet as it's noisy, and people are sleeping.

Thank-you to everyone!

Do I need to put my thumb over the intake to start everytime? I don't remember having to do this with my AE MMGT.

At average of 5C temperatures should I be running a warm or hot glow plug?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:17 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Does the fuel tank have a priming pump on it? That should minimize how much you need to put a finger/thumb over the carb, but you still might need to do that. On any of my nitro boat engines I needed to do that almost every time, but they don't have priming pumps on the fuel tanks.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:29 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
Quote:
Does the fuel tank have a priming pump on it? That should minimize how much you need to put a finger/thumb over the carb, but you still might need to do that. On any of my nitro boat engines I needed to do that almost every time, but they don't have priming pumps on the fuel tanks.
No, no priming pump. I just plug the exhaust and pull the start cord until fuel reaches the carb. I guess I just needed a few more pulls.

Today I will go through 5 tanks and break it in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:43 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
Turns out my old fuel was still good after all.
The car starts easily now.
Break in is complete, as well as a break of the cat. Ran into a curb fairly slowly, and broke an upper arm. I'm going to order stronger parts now.
Its a nice car for sure. Just wish it had reverse. Theyll be plenty of walks of shame without it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:04 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Glad it's up and running! Hopefully you get replacement parts soon so you can keep enjoying it!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:31 PM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Are you still running this car?
I'm having a lot of troubles with the pull starter and seems most users have, too.
Some users found a mod sealing the one way bearing that seems working, I'm going to do the mod as soon as I'll receive the sealer, too.
However I'd like to hear from other users if they have the same problem and if/how they solved.
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:46 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
I havent run it that much. probably only 5-10 runs if that. been busy with other RCs.
The starter pull feels very weak, like it's almost not engaging sometimes.
Not sure it that is because it doesnt have nitro in the carb at that moment, or is a symptom of what your talking about.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
If it's pulling the cord but not turning over the engine it would be a symptom of a slipping one way bearing.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 07:12 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
486 Posts
ok, thats what it feels like to me.
can you please point me to the one way bearing info mod?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2013, 04:08 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
ok, thats what it feels like to me.
can you please point me to the one way bearing info mod?
If you open
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...gine_ARR_.html
and go on Discussion -> view all discussions
you will find a very long discussion between Christopher, Agung and myself which contains indication on the mod. Well, there are more than one discussion... look at that started on August 1st. There are also some pictures posted by them and linked on Dropbox.
Mod basically consists in sealing the back of the owb holder (the side which faces the piston) with high temperature silicon to prevent exhausted fuel to go into the owb.
I've ordered the sealer and should try to mod this week. The other two already did and it seems working. I cross my finger!
Take care.
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971