Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:04 PM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Build Log
P3C Update II - 60" Wingspan

I have pulled down the original Build Thread called P3 Orion Build. Since there are others who will start building the P3 soon but in the 84" wingspan I thought it best to keep them seperate so has to not be so confusing.
Plans are available from Pats Custom Models and the wood can be obtained from Charlie at Manzano Laser. Great people to work with! Please keep in mind that this is a prototype build so be ready to make changes along the way!
I will upload those pictures shortly from the previous build thread.
Thank you for your understanding.
Regards,
Alan
J3ALAN is offline Find More Posts by J3ALAN
Last edited by J3ALAN; Aug 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:30 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Subscribed. I will be following along, I just need to figure out the costs involved.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Build Photos

Here is a series of photos transferred over from the original build thread.
The wing has been sheeted and I will get some photos up soon on that.
Work is coming along slowly but that is how I work!
Enjoy!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:11 AM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Slow Down!

Got way ahead of myself on the sheeting of the wing. Was looking forward to going it and it looked great until I realized you dummy you have servoes and retracts plus lighting to instal before you can cover the wing!. Oh well I managed to get the sheeting off with very little damage. Called lucky!
Working on the circuts for the wingtip lights and the main landing lights. Better get them in now too! Did manage to get the flaps and ailerons sheeted.
I will get a few current photos up later today.
ALAN
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Small Update

Here are a few shots of the retracts installed and the big flaps in the half flap position. Lots of things to still work out but sure am having fun doing such a complex build as this. Thanks Pat for doing the plans!
Alan
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Looking good. I hope I can raise the funds to build one. I'm trying to sell off some of the fleet to make some room.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:11 AM
May P-3's FLY FOREVER!!
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2011
67 Posts
VERY NICE Alan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ALAN View Post
Here are a few shots of the retracts installed and the big flaps in the half flap position. Lots of things to still work out but sure am having fun doing such a complex build as this. Thanks Pat for doing the plans!
Alan
Very nice job so far Alan..... I got MY plans and short kit today.... I have to make room in the workshop for the build...... Man, this "original" size is huge!!!! Anyways, nice so far...... I promise I won't post my build here.....

BTW..... I know it's early, but any thoughts as to how your are going to do the radome? I've been staring at the plans for an hour myself.... No thoughts yet.

Jim
P3_AOC_MAGGIE is offline Find More Posts by P3_AOC_MAGGIE
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
More Stuff

Just received notification that the motors I order for the build will be deivered today! Guess I better get busy and put some more of this thing together.

Radome Question - I have that all planned out and when I get to that area I will have lots of pictures! It will be different for sure!

Alan
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
May P-3's FLY FOREVER!!
Joined Jul 2011
67 Posts
Thank You....

Quote:
Just received notification that the motors I order for the build will be deivered today! Guess I better get busy and put some more of this thing together.

Radome Question - I have that all planned out and when I get to that area I will have lots of pictures! It will be different for sure!

Alan
Thanks Captain!!!

AOC Jim L.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:50 PM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Favor

If you have questions regarding the build please do not ask them in a private email. No need to have questions and answers in two places. Questions could be of value to the followers of the build and it does make it easier on me!
Thank you very much.
Alan
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:57 PM
May P-3's FLY FOREVER!!
Joined Jul 2011
67 Posts
Dying for some pictures......

Love to see some more photos on the build. I haven't started mine yet, as it is way too hot here still. The workshop needs an A/C unit that I really don't want to spend modeling funds on..... I'll wait a little while longer I guess.

Jim
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:21 AM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Update

Been bouncing back and forth between the P3 build and another project.

Regarding the P3 I am edge gluing up stacks of 1/16 lite balsa for the sheeting of the build. The entire aircraft will be sheeted. Thought I would be done with it but it is taking more time then I thought it would just gluing up the sheets.

Also working out the details for the motors and electrical system. I plan to be able to start each motor individually!

Alan
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:07 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
Alan,

So, are you going to some low fly bys with only one engine turning

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:28 PM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
One Candle

Hi Charlie,
That happened only once for a very short amount of time in my career flying the actual bird. It was with a Mr J B for those who knew him. There was a very large spot in my shorts after that!

No need to simulate it with my build!

Alan
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:51 AM
May P-3's FLY FOREVER!!
Joined Jul 2011
67 Posts
He WAS the MAN!!

Quote:
Hi Charlie,
That happened only once for a very short amount of time in my career flying the actual bird. It was with a Mr J B for those who knew him. There was a very large spot in my shorts after that!

No need to simulate it with my build!

Alan
Jay Beasley WAS the MAN!! (RIP). He could make that A/C do things Lockheed said it COULD NOT do.......... That's why he was known as MR P-3!!

Jim

BTW..... Had a fatal heart attack at the "19th Hole" here in Jax at the NAS Jax golf course. Been several years now.