HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:16 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Dolphin Micro Sport Glider EPO, 555mm (PNF)

Anybody got this already ?

It was looking interesting to me ... and I had to add in my order

I'm wandering how much windy weather it can handle and if it really glide ... looking for use in my "little garden" throwing out of the balcony ...

I will try with my 850 2S and 600 2S battery that I have at home ... in case I will order the 4$ 500 2S

Danke

e_lm_70

EDIT: My videos:
HobbyKing Dolphin Micro Sport Glider EPO, 555mm (PNF) - With 2S 360mAh 20C (3 min 20 sec)

HobbyKing Dolphin Micro Sport Glider EPO, 555mm (PNF) - With 2S 610mAh 20C (4 min 21 sec)
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Last edited by e_lm_70; Apr 23, 2014 at 09:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:52 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Here are a couple of battery that should fit easily in this bird, and the related discount code:

360mAh 2S 20C
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-E8F217390628
With code only 2.37$ instead of 4.29$

610mAg 2S 20C
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...D-86BDFD4A45D9
With code 3.65$ instead of 3.92$

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Last edited by e_lm_70; May 03, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Looks like a smaller sized Easystar I wonder what necessitates the high downward angle of the prop?

[edit]
Hmm I am not so enthusiastic about the glue-on wings; would be nicer to be able to assemble them on the field for easier transportation to the park
[/edit]
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Last edited by Schermvlieger; Apr 15, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:24 PM
Playtoy
Mtl, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
199 Posts
This might help ...

4Ch Micro Glider out of box (2 min 5 sec)

Micro 4Ch Glider Flight in 16MPH winds (2 min 23 sec)

4Ch Micro Glider Maiden Flight (3 min 9 sec)
Cheetah401 is offline Find More Posts by Cheetah401
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:48 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Thanks Cheetah

Yes, the one in the videos is looking the old dolphin
the new one hqs mainly a different motor mount with an extreme inclination
if they change, i hope they change for improve

Anyhow is looking an interesting bird

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:55 AM
You torquing to me?
Vancouver, WA
Joined Mar 2010
610 Posts
I like how its called the dolphin and it has a picture of a whale on the tail.
slyfoxflyer66 is offline Find More Posts by slyfoxflyer66
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:57 PM
USA, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Mar 2005
304 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355845
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old Apr 18, 2011, 02:22 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by specriv View Post
The old model was looking very good ... wondering why they did change.

The motor mount now, is set up for a nose heavy CoG. And as well it will make it slower
The elevator is reduced in size (so that may make more difficult to make loops)

So, it is looking it has been trim for beginner

Anyhow ... soon I will get the v2 in my hands ... and I will see directly how this little bird can fly

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old May 03, 2011, 08:03 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Got my Dolphin yesterday.
2 days ago here was +24 nice and sunny .. yesterday +15 ... today is snowing

Anyhow, I did put it together.

I think the tricky part is to select the right horn hole for the elevator, rudder and ailerons : my suggestion is lowest hole for elevator and rudder and most far hole for ailerons.

I did not put the landing gears ... they look useless to me. Planing to go for hand launch and landing in the grass.

I did also not glue the wings, they look very tight connected also without glue ... in case I can use a magnet ... I just glued the tail and the horns with the included glue ... that is looking doing his job ... but it needs 3/4 hours for dry ... not a fast CA foam glue. The advantage of not glue wings, is that in case of bad landing or crash, without the glue the eventual wing pop-out will help to mitigate the crash.

With my "heavy" battery 880mAh 2S ... RTF is 175g ... not really ultra light.

I test glide on the bedroom .. with landing on the bed ... and I found it apparently nose heavy (with motor off) ... actually general heavy ... my mini Bee, and my Fox Bat, can land in the bad from a hand launch simulation more soft ... anyhow ... the motor is with a 5x3 propeller is pushing really hard ... it has more then 1:1 thrust ration. So even if is nose heavy ... it should fly ok due to the motor location.

I did test the motor and is pulling 6amp ... so over 40watt power for 175g should be more then enough ... I did not check the RPM ... but for my HK anemometer it push 130km/h of wind behind ... so looking able to handle strong wing easily ...

I may order a 500/600 2S 30C lipo ... if I can found a good deal ... but first I want to see if I can fly with my old on.

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old May 03, 2011, 10:56 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
It did stop to snow here ... so I had to maiden this little bird and try.

So ... it fly nice and easy ... almost no need of any trim ... out of the flat set up.

In my configuration is a little pig ... not sure if with 500mAh is much better then with my heavy 880mAh ... it does need some speed for climbing ... and the elevator even in the most responsive position, is not as strong as I would wish.

Ailerons control are just fine ... I never use the rudder (I'm not used to it )

I would have expect a easy hand launch, but actually I almost crash it down on my 1st fly (I did on my second, but nothing happen ) ... on the 3rd fly I gave a better push , but still is the challenging point.

Landing also need some speed ... so without the landing gear, it must be controlled carefully .. better to be used on a little windy day (30/40km/h max)
Under no power, if lose speed ... it sink like a pig ... afraid to a stall I did not try any aerobatic figure so far.

It can gain quite some speed, and it does not glide in gentle mode ... so it is not a relaxing bird to fly.

But I think I did overestimate the thrust ... I don't think it has 1:1 ... but .. I will need to check in later flys.

Originally was bought for be flown out of the balcony and with a land in my "small" garden ... my mini Wing can do it ... but landing is never so soft ... I will may try with a 500mAh battery and with a keycam on it ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: All in all ... it is a decent bird ... cost ~65$ shipped ... maybe not for beginners ... but a little bird that can be kept in the car .. or used for advance the 4ch flying skills ... anyhow ... I think HK has better birds in this price segment then this one ... so ... I don't expect much popularity.

pps: Since I place an heavy battery on my Dolphin, the huge motor inclination did definitely help ... but ... it make the bird responding quite different then the birds that I was used so far .... biggest minus ... is the limited elevator ... I don't know why they made it smaller compared to the previous version

ppps: I did use my cheap 2.4G 4CH TX (a clone of the 23$ set also available in HK) ... ok ... it is ok for fly ... but ... really it is a different world compared to my FX-18 ... but I did not want to have a long RX wire hanging in this little bird ... anyhow ... maybe ... I will may have to use my FX-18 TX if I want to control it better
Last edited by e_lm_70; May 03, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 05, 2011, 02:38 AM
Jack Xie
China
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
try this 500mah battery..
tymodel is offline Find More Posts by tymodel
Old May 05, 2011, 03:02 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymodel View Post
try this 500mah battery..
Which ?

Anyhow ... it does fly good also with 880 .. it is just a bit ugly since it is not possible to close the canopy ... in theory the foam could be cut ... but ...

Anyhow ... I did order already a 610mAh ... ...
If you click on this: http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...D-86BDFD4A45D9
There is also a little discount

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old May 05, 2011, 05:54 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
Looks like a smaller sized Easystar I wonder what necessitates the high downward angle of the prop?

[edit]
Hmm I am not so enthusiastic about the glue-on wings; would be nicer to be able to assemble them on the field for easier transportation to the park
[/edit]
I did not glue the wings of my dolphin.
But, it is not really suggest to assemble them on the field ... since you will need to reconnect the ailerons links that is a big pain

Actually it is so small that take no space also fully assembled.

I did not glue the wings, since it is not looking needed ... and it is not needed I can say.

Just it must be remember at every landing that the winds may have been moved a bit ... and need to be properly fitted, else the aileron links will gave a wrong trim

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Probably this glider is better: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11306, cost only 2$ more ... it may glide ...since the dolphin is not really gliding ... but the Dolphin advantages are: Exposed outrun motor, always cooled by the air, and impossible to damage on bad landing or crash.
Still I think that lighter servo could have been used, and as well rudder servo is totally useless. More light would have make a better glider ... as well .. I think some extra CM in wing span would have not arm as well ...
Old May 05, 2011, 02:20 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
I did made 2 more flight with my Dolphins ...

First I did try in the garden ... took off easy (I learn how to launch this bird) ... but ... my old LiPo since ages, after 1 minute of WOT was getting week ... I start to glide, reduce power ... lost altitude ... made a mistake due to poor view (my bird was behind a tree) ... so I ended it in quite heavy nose crash on the ground ... but ... good surprise .. the nose got bit twisted ... but it did not even break

SO, I made a little walk, and took the bird in an open space ... and I did enjoy some other 5 minutes of flight ... It can roll it ... but still I did not manage any loop ... anyhow ... maybe with a lighter battery.

I also discover why it is always looking a bit out of trim ... if trimmed for WOT is not ok in the glide ... and ... I discover that the motor mount has a bit inclination (not the vertical one that is by design) but it is not fully center ... it push a bit on the right ... it is looking there motor holder has missing some glue ... so I need to fix it.

I did start to play with rudder ... and is looking responsive also with the most far hole ... so I will keep as it it ... I think the main idea of this 4ch little bird is for experiment and improve the 4ch skills ... I'm good on navigate with only elevator and aileron ... but be able to mix ailerons and rudder ... it may bring to the next level of skills

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: All in all, I don't regret to have got this (it was sort of order filler for my Fox) ... it is a decent 4ch, enough fast for handle normal day moderate wind ... but mainly it is very durable.

pps: Possibly the only change that I will do is to make the elevator bigger, like it was in the original Dolphin ... as well ... when I will get a new 610mAh battery for replace my old 880 ... I think it should also improve quite a bit
Old May 06, 2011, 12:17 AM
Jack Xie
China
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Which ?

Anyhow ... it does fly good also with 880 .. it is just a bit ugly since it is not possible to close the canopy ... in theory the foam could be cut ... but ...

Anyhow ... I did order already a 610mAh ... ...
If you click on this: http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...D-86BDFD4A45D9
There is also a little discount

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Oh, i forgot to post the link. This Battery:
http://www.easy-sky.net/productE.asp...&pros2=Battery
tymodel is offline Find More Posts by tymodel