HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
Ridgeway, Va.
Joined Sep 2003
205 Posts
Idea
World Models 1/4 scale Cub mod

I didn't want the unsightly screw heads on the top of the wings. I slotted the fuse at the root rib location and installed eye hooks (CA glued) Bent them open to accept #64 rubber bands doubled around twice. After these pics were taken, I glued two hardwood struts inside the top of the cabin just beside the slot to keep the fuse from callapsing.
JEanes is online now Find More Posts by JEanes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Feb 2008
346 Posts
The idea sounds good ... but is the rubberband going to keep the wing drawn tight to the fuse? If so ... is that strong enough and secure enough to keep those wings from pulling the rubberband right through the slotted holes you made for the eye-screws? Are the eye screws strong enough to not break or pull out from the wood that they are screwed into?

I like the idea ... and would like to use it on my own planes. I wonder about the engineering side of the idea. I think there might be a lot of pressure at the point of connection during flight? Maybe I'm over-thinking this too much ... or I may not get the concept. Can you please show a photo of the wing seated in place with the rubberband installed?

Kind regards, SC.
screilly is online now Find More Posts by screilly
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:36 PM
Ridgeway, Va.
Joined Sep 2003
205 Posts
Cub wings

I would not use this method on an aerobatic plane, but a lazy flying Cub...by all means ! Since there is no outward pull or mega G forces on the wing panels, I am very comfortable here. I took a 1/4 scale Patty Wagstaff Extra and done about the same thing. I glued a plywood pad inside her fuse, opened up about 1-1/2" slot just at the inside of the root rib, drilled the root rib and tapped it for a 1/4-20 nylon bolt. The screws that World Models uses in the top of the wing panels look deplorable !
Last edited by JEanes; Mar 21, 2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add pic
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:02 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
Should be ok, esp if you are using working struts.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:02 PM
Ridgeway, Va.
Joined Sep 2003
205 Posts
Cub

The plane does have working struts.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined Feb 2008
346 Posts
I was thinking maybe the wind / airflow pressure may pull or twist the wing just enough to get air into that joint and create a possible sudden outward force that might rip the wing and seperate it from the fuse. If you say it's Ok ... then I'm sure you have the tried & true and feel comfortable with it. I'd be interested to see a picture of the final connection just for reference(with the rubberband installed). I really like the quick-fit design ... I can see where you have a point; I don't think there is a lot of outward force normally ... The main wing-tube is going to take the primary force at any angle: upward, downward, forward, & backward along with the struts.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Feb 2008
346 Posts
I see the pictures that you posted ... that's cool. I tink I'll try it on mine .. Thx.